Hi guys, is anyone ever used tools to find long tail KWs and how good they are? 

If anyone can suggest me a good one to use and the one that is not simply generates KWs, but the one that is actually picking them from searches or so.

Thank you.

LTP is a waste of money!  Just use the Google Keyword Planner honestly. It pulls from the GKP anyway and you won't found any secret keywords with LTP.

Edited by traffic

As I see GKP gives only those that have some competition and based on those KWs that used in AdWords, I was looking for something like either good generator or something that will give you KWs that is organic and natural but not that short and obvious as GKP gives. 

I still find Market Samurai's keyword tool to be the only KW tool I need -- It's my technique that needed to get sophisticated.

The real art in nailing long-tail is efficiently using Search / Replace in a text editor to take your seed list of base keywords and doing progressive ITERATIONS and PERMUTATIONS manually (but quickly) to unearth under-served long-tail KWs.

For example, since I'm an Apple computer geek I can literally take ANY tech gadget and research who wants one "for": MacBook | MacBook Pro | MacBook Air | iMac | Mac mini | Macintosh | etc.

Then I use buyer keywords: Review | Best | Cheap | Cheapest | Discount | Quality | Premium | etc modifiers as a prefix or suffix.

Search / Replace / Copy / Paste over and over, run the numbers, filter the excessively high competition one's out - and soon I know EXACTLY what the best Title and Permalink variant to use for a new page or post.

Usually it's a FIVE word keyphrase that's easiest to rank. "Premium Bluetooth Speaker For iMac" or "Best Wireless Printer For iPad"...

Edited by macseotips

LTP doesn't pull from other data sources and usually any KWs it spits out you would have found using GKP anyway.  Other tools I've used are the same.  It's much harder to find completely untouched terms to go after which are worth the time.

As @macseotips states it's really about how you personally go about it.

It should be noted Long-Tail targeting doesn't work with Google like it used to. Google is HEAVILY modifying results based on what it thinks is Search INTENT - even if you type searches in quotes!

Your keyword research might lead you target a long-tail "TOP-SELLING Coffee Brewing STATION" -- And Google will simply show results for "Best Coffee Brewer" and results will all be from the top online retailers and manufacturer brands anyways! Essentially, the modified intent from the top Authority sites rank regardless. It isn't just Google, as of late Bing(Yahoo) is getting A LOT more aggressive about substitution of intent too if you've been paying attention.

We've seen a ton of sites get absolutely STRANGLED of ranking keywords and loss of long-tails over the past 2 years. Being able to rank for long-tails is now more a function of a site's TRUST and AUTHORITY. If you can build that, you'll see the number of keywords you're ranking for open wide-up.

I agree on macseotips, Market Samurai is the best tool for me too when I look for a long tail keyword. But sometimes, a LTK is useless because it meant to be of low search volume. There's no challenge in your SEO Kknowledge if you just stick on LTK. You can still find not a really long tail keyword but of a high search and commercial value. A keyword tool called Keyword XP is design to give you a long tail keyword that google planner is hiding. If you are really looking for LTK, then Keyword XP is the solution.

Google has the lions share of search activity on the internet, by far, so it only makes sense to use their Keyword Planner tool. Bing Ad's also offers a keyword tool, and they offer an Excel toolbar extension too which can pull their keyword data and statistics into a spreadsheet automatically - but the only get a fraction of the search traffic that Google does.

There are third party paid services such as Wordtracker, Trellian Keyword Discovery, and Wordstream that have their own databases of search queries for you to build keyword lists from, but they are costly and they too have limited data compared to Google.

I would normally do a hybrid approach to build out a list of tail terms - do research in the Google Keyword Planner, then look over those keywords and try and identify any trends in the search queries, and use those to build out even more keyword phrases. For example, if you see a lot of search queries that include area code or city names, you could grab a list of all the US area codes and or cities, and append them to your "core" list of general keywords.

Excel is all you really need to do all of this, no need for another third party application. Some simple formulas such as CONCATENATE, RIGHT, MID, LEFT, VLOOKUP, FIND, REPLACE and others, will do what you need.

Search for long tail keywords can be effective for your website rankings. You can get additional traffi!. I can recommed quite a multifunctional tool SERanking.com that will give you not only long-tail keyword ideas, but will check out your websites ranking, health check and monitor backlinks!

Edited by seranking

Here's how I QUICKLY find easy long-tails with Market Samurai: Set SEO Competition to 30,000 max, Title Competition to 100, URL Competition to 100.

I then choose TWO closely related terms from the results: I use the highest traffic one in the TITLE - but work the 2nd variant into the PERMALINK URL which I modify slightly. Then work both long-tail's into, say the opening paragraph of the body content. Simple as that.

They may be low-volume terms, but easy to get in the first 2 pages of SERPS and start getting click-throughs. I'll go after as little as 8 searches A MONTH - because I know ranking for enough of them will soon open up the medium-tail as my site's Authority and Relevance increases.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

what purpose we are using this tool

To find more keywords to target. If your site is ranking for a bunch of long tails you are going to bring in more traffic and not be as dependent on just one or two keywords.

The more the better......

Here is the list of some of the most powerful keyword research tools:

• Google Keyword Planner (this is free, however, Google is changing policies and now it only allows a restricted number of searches)
  • SemRush (they have a 15 days trial)
  • Long Tail Pro (the trial version cost $7 for 7 days)
  • Keyword Spy
  • Market Samurai (not very used anymore, it used to be powerful in 2012)
  • SpyFu
  • WordTracker

Any of these tools will help you to do proper market research.