Sign in to follow this  
Live4TheRisk

How does this site rank #1?

I've just started to use Market Samurai in my keyword research and still new to SEO.

I was looking at some results and was wondering how one site gets ranked #1 when one of the sites below it that clearly has WAY more backlinks, are listed in DMOZ, are filled with .edu/gov backlinks. The site seems to have way more authority is sitting in #4.

What are other factors that can contribute to this result?

I have attached a screenshot as well...

Please login or register to see this attachment.

There's no simple, neat answer to your question. But the first thing that stands out isn't about backlinks - it's about ON-PAGE optimization - and the #1 ranking site is optimized across Title, URL, Description and <H>headers.

The fact that several domains are only 1yr old indicates to me this is not a very competitive or long-established commercial search term. I commonly see Competition Analysis screens in MarketSamurai where ALL the domains are at least 6-18 years old! No 'young' sites even stand a chance against such high age or authority for truly competitive terms.

You blurred-out the domains/urls that are ranking, obscuring A LOT of clues about how word usage may be a factor. (These days Google almost hates EMD - exact match domains and over-optimized /keyword-loaded-url-text-manipulation/ type permalinks if they're too spot-on.)

Another standout is CF/TF (Citation/Trust Flow) of the #1 ranking site. Clearly it has more than a few truly high-power links propping it up. I'd do a Citation Flow check to see what MarketSamurai shows as the highest-powered backlinks to that site/page. You can quickly find out if they have a natural profile, or if a mess of Guest or Private Blog Network posts are manipulating it up the ranks.

My guess is they haven't over-optimized their Anchor Text in backlinks and it's probably very diverse - or primarily URL/Brand focused -- cuz if they hammered their top money keywords they'd already be penalized and nowhere on Page 1.

Whatever site is at #4 is clearly a powerful Authority Domain with 26 MILLION backlinks. Sites like that can simply MENTION something trivial in a 100 word post and rank on Page 1 for it, simply by the power the root domain has - not because the content quality deserves it.

Lastly: Note how the #1 site has an almost equal BLP (Page) / BLD (Domain) link ratio - that's quite unlike most others on the page. This tells me that they likely AGGRESSIVELY did backlinking - and that makes them vulnerable, especially with only 11 pages indexed. It's a small site. I'd almost bet its rankings aren't that secure, and it could be highly vulnerable to Negative SEO tactics. It's position in slot #1 is probably rather short-lived.

I agree that it is not always about the number of links going to the domain or even the page when it comes to ranking for a particular keyword. If it was then we would always see Wikipedia, Amazon, and other large sites always at the top and of course we do not.

The large sites do have an advantage as noted above but that does not mean they will always get the top spot for specific keywords if someone optimizes their on-page factors as well as their links for those specific keywords.

Many factors needs to be considered while ranking a website. You need to concentrate on quality & relevancy. The backlinks you going to build should be natural & relatively close to your niche. This gives your website a much needed reach among your targeted audience & it results in popularity for your site. SEO plays a part in ranking a website to the top of google. Not only authority backlinks gets to the top, every single factor needs to be maintained well.,

There's no simple, neat answer to your question. But the first thing that stands out isn't about backlinks - it's about ON-PAGE optimization - and the #1 ranking site is optimized across Title, URL, Description and <H>headers.

The fact that several domains are only 1yr old indicates to me this is not a very competitive or long-established commercial search term. I commonly see Competition Analysis screens in MarketSamurai where ALL the domains are at least 6-18 years old! No 'young' sites even stand a chance against such high age or authority for truly competitive terms.

You blurred-out the domains/urls that are ranking, obscuring A LOT of clues about how word usage may be a factor. (These days Google almost hates EMD - exact match domains and over-optimized /keyword-loaded-url-text-manipulation/ type permalinks if they're too spot-on.)

Another standout is CF/TF (Citation/Trust Flow) of the #1 ranking site. Clearly it has more than a few truly high-power links propping it up. I'd do a Citation Flow check to see what MarketSamurai shows as the highest-powered backlinks to that site/page. You can quickly find out if they have a natural profile, or if a mess of Guest or Private Blog Network posts are manipulating it up the ranks.

My guess is they haven't over-optimized their Anchor Text in backlinks and it's probably very diverse - or primarily URL/Brand focused -- cuz if they hammered their top money keywords they'd already be penalized and nowhere on Page 1.

Whatever site is at #4 is clearly a powerful Authority Domain with 26 MILLION backlinks. Sites like that can simply MENTION something trivial in a 100 word post and rank on Page 1 for it, simply by the power the root domain has - not because the content quality deserves it.

Lastly: Note how the #1 site has an almost equal BLP (Page) / BLD (Domain) link ratio - that's quite unlike most others on the page. This tells me that they likely AGGRESSIVELY did backlinking - and that makes them vulnerable, especially with only 11 pages indexed. It's a small site. I'd almost bet its rankings aren't that secure, and it could be highly vulnerable to Negative SEO tactics. It's position in slot #1 is probably rather short-lived.

This was an incredible in-depth analysis I must say.

I like to play this guessing game sort of like doing poker analysis. Where you are given a situation and you need to figure out given the clues you have.

In this way you really get the mind churning.

On 4/26/2017 at 8:57 PM, Janniz said:

About Off-page SEO, all works I do is that justing focus on building backlinks as much as possilble. Is that right?

just focus on Off-page? what about on-page? 🙄