traffiker

Really need help with penguin issues

Hi guys really need your help, this might be a bit old but heck I will just try.

I used to have a site (ectomorphworkout.org) that was doing well, but it got slapped by the penguin in May 2012 due to backlinks from the BMR (buildmyrank) network. Can't rmb if I built other spammy links but I do not think so.

The homepage went from the 1st page into oblivion. 

I've tried salvaging a bit but it didn't work out, so I abandoned it.

But now I still see the potential and that's why I am back to see if things can work out. 

Currently, I can find an inner page from my site on the 4th page for my main keyword (ectomorph workout).

If anyone could help, could you advise:

1. How to determine if the site is worth salvaging? i.e. It's not penalised by Google forever, and that I can still rank my homepage?

2. If it's worth salvaging, how should I go about doing so? Build a PBN?

Thanks and really appreciate if anyone could help!

Hi guys really need your help, this might be a bit old but heck I will just try.

I used to have a site (ectomorphworkout.org) that was doing well, but it got slapped by the penguin in May 2012 due to backlinks from the BMR (buildmyrank) network. Can't rmb if I built other spammy links but I do not think so.

The homepage went from the 1st page into oblivion. 

I've tried salvaging a bit but it didn't work out, so I abandoned it.

But now I still see the potential and that's why I am back to see if things can work out. 

Currently, I can find an inner page from my site on the 4th page for my main keyword (ectomorph workout).

If anyone could help, could you advise:

1. How to determine if the site is worth salvaging? i.e. It's not penalised by Google forever, and that I can still rank my homepage?

2. If it's worth salvaging, how should I go about doing so? Build a PBN?

Thanks and really appreciate if anyone could help!

Pretty sure we had at least a couple threads awhile ago with people saying the sites they lost in that first network bloodbath came back.

The easiest way to check would be to take a couple of related long tails that are low competition and try ranking those and see what happens. If you can rank for a couple of easy ones chances are you are good to go.

Before starting though I would go through all your backlinks and as much as possible clean up any bad ones you might still have.

Your old domain now has a spammy history attached to it and is unlikely to be trusted and highly unlikely to rank as fast as a clean site. A penguin penalty is a pretty severe slap from Google and not to be taken lightly. I would start over with a new domain. It is 100x easier to rank with a clean slate. With the amount of time people put in trying to fix penguinized sites you could build 10 more sites and rank then all and make way more money. 

1. Check your webmaster tool for all the message

2. Check all the backlinks created and save them

3. Start disavow them one by one after you check them

4. Work on your site and do the white hat. 

5. Usually to recover it takes 1-2 Google updates. 6-12 months.

If you had BMR links you were hit with a manual penalty, or atleas you should have been.

Double check Webmaster tools because I'm willing to bet you've got a message.

The good thing is that you can recover and quite easily. You just need to perform some backlink cleanup. I'd suggest just hiring a service to do it for you. They will document the process and make the reconsideration request process a breeze.

It may take one or two requests but after approval you'll see ranking recovery in a matter of weeks. I had one site that recovered better than my original rankings after removing my penalty. I also had a site with a BMR penalty removed without a problem.

I have the same question, My client site was hit by penguin, he wants to try to recover it. I told him its better to start a new one but he insist on trying to salvage the site. Penalty was lifted and also done cleaning up bad links. Currently, the domain is not even showing for its keyword domain search. Instead it was an inner page that was showing up in the 8th page results. Was it a good sign? No new link building done yet. Thanks

I have the same question, My client site was hit by penguin, he wants to try to recover it. I told him its better to start a new one but he insist on trying to salvage the site. Penalty was lifted and also done cleaning up bad links. Currently, the domain is not even showing for its keyword domain search. Instead it was an inner page that was showing up in the 8th page results. Was it a good sign? No new link building done yet. Thanks

I honestly would not get too excited about an 8th page result. I would make sure that you document the fact that you told him he would be better off switching to a new domain.

If you do think the penalty has been lifted than start with a couple of low competition long tails and see if you can get them to rank. It costs a lot less to rank them vs going after the main higher competition keywords and will give you a better idea if the site will come back or not. That way you are risking less time and money.

I had two sites that were slapped in October 2013.

The first was 8 years old and had a number of ages links and a small number of BMR all of which were helping long tail keywords.

The other site was 1 year old and had a large % of brand links on bmr.

After a lot of disavow work, the newer site came back quicker than the first. To do this, I changed the whois with a transfer of ownership, new web host and new site reusing 80% of old content.

You first need to check if there is a natural traffic to your website, maybe make more sense to recover this before.

In my opinion make the people coming subscribe to a newsletter giving them something important to download, real value, then send them an email with the new website and move your audience to a new website.

Edited by LifestyleUltimatum