SeoIsDead

parallax scrolling sites

There is a owned by a freind site which looks great, a designers wet dream. Its a one page parallax scrolling site.

The company is a start up and after 6 months they are not ranking for their brand name which is the url. The site has some cool info graphics, not a great deal of text and a non parallax blog (@ http:www.brandname.com/blog) which is updated weekly.

They do rank for their (slighly) competitive product/service keywords but not for their brand name.

Taking it on as a project and ranking a parallax was tempting but I am convinced that google has decided that the site is a thin poor quality site and it would be a waste of time.

I have suggested that they rebuild the site as a traditional site which will take the page count from 1 to 6 plus the blog. Is this good advice?

I've ranked some parallax scroller sites. They just need to have a lot of content on them.

I will say IMO they have converted like crap compared to traditional layouts.

Thanks. I suspected this to be the case, but its good to hear this from another professional.

Sadly, I dont think that it will be changed anytime soon as the guy seems to be happy with a good looking site that no one visits.

Thanks. I suspected this to be the case, but its good to hear this from another professional.

Sadly, I dont think that it will be changed anytime soon as the guy seems to be happy with a good looking site that no one visits.

Clients who refuse to listen....   Why do they bother asking for help in the first place?

If it was me I would just work on ranking the blog rather than the main site since I assume there is probably plenty of content there to work with.

Parallax scrolling isn't a problem, I use it on nearly every client site these days, such is current 'fashion'. Achieved with simple Jquery and CSS there's no reason for it to hinder your SEO efforts.

However if the site is a one page site then there lies your problem. All these 'fashionable' responsive, one page sites are great looking, but not so great for rankings. Just like Flash based websites back in the day.

Parallax scrolling isn't a problem, I use it on nearly every client site these days, such is current 'fashion'. Achieved with simple Jquery and CSS there's no reason for it to hinder your SEO efforts.

However if the site is a one page site then there lies your problem. All these 'fashionable' responsive, one page sites are great looking, but not so great for rankings. Just like Flash based websites back in the day.

The problem I see with them is even a lot of the multi-page ones are very light on content. They look nice, have lots of images but really weak on the content side. 

I wish parallax would just die already, nobody wants to bounce around the page with stupid effects. I have no doubt it kills conversions as well as your typical internet user simply doesn't understand how the pages work.

Having said that you will rank fine with a parallax site but for the sake of humanity and conversions just change the site for them.

What I would recommend if the parallax design has to stay is to build top quality content related to each of the main images on the main site.  Then have those images (with alt text and a fallback link) lead to that rich content.  That way, your client can keep their design, but you have a chance to build great content that the Googs will enjoy.  Then of course, link building.