^RankMe

"Guruism" in SEO

I think its very interesting how the SEO industry lends itself to "guruism." It's as if as long as people hear what they want to hear, they will follow a person and take their word as fact without even a shred of proof. As if as long as you have a decent reputation, people will believe anything you say about SEO. Warrior Forum and WSO's are a great example of this. Fascinating. In other industries I've been involved in this hasn't really been the case. Why do you think SEO lends itself to guruism? Is it the lack of verifiability? Either way, I think it's a very interesting subject that I don't really see discussed very often.

It's because there is no standard and in reality no tangible results. You can't "do" a certain thing in SEO and really know if or how well it worked and therefore leads into lots of interpretation.

Personally I think it is the low barrier to entry that exists for "making money online" Anytime you have that you get a lot of people looking for a quick get rich scheme. Ten years ago you could see all those "make money in real estate with no money down" info commercials on late night TV. There are and will always be plenty of people looking for that bright shiny penny that will lead them to riches, it is just that on WaFo they can find it for $7 so the market is bigger.

We cant deny that we have ever fallen for the shiny new object sindrome... I sure in one life or another youve be caught.

The thing here its that its coded into the Matrix... Like he said its in all business not only this one.

Sorry pushed enter to early... Not done yet...

This world we live in revolves our lives around the masses of people that only dream of what they want but not actually do what they want. They look for whats easy and follow the heard... Its simple then just blame the person they follow.

So the masses create the wave and that creates a demand of what people need to fill hopes and dreams. Ofcourse it always cataclysmic, it starts and self destructs.

Riding the wave is the easy part... Its looking past the masses and all the "noise" filtering out whats real and what is smoke and mirrors.

Set achievable goals...Take action and get it done!

I think it is pretty universal in every field.Not only SEO. Average human is a sheep. Else there ll be too much chaos to handle.

Bingo. The entire planet is run by guruism of some form or another. The world is too complex--people need someone to tell them that their next $1,000,000 is just 3 mouse clicks away. To hear that it's actually 5,592,159 mouse clicks away is too intimidating for people to go along with it, although it's definitely closer to the truth.

Plus the guru's are self appointed! It's a marketing ploy to sell products. Many of the guys making serious cash ($50k profits from sites)are on this forum and they would be the last people you would think. In fact most of them don't consider themselves experts but ARE getting great results. I know several of my customers who have 1 site that brings in over $50k in affiliate commission.

to top it off this little bbc radio program really caps off how much the seo gurus actually know and the mindless idiots who follow them

Please login or register to see this link.

to top it off this little bbc radio program really caps off how much the seo gurus actually know and the mindless idiots who follow them

Please login or register to see this link.

Cheers for that, was a decent listen.

There's two sides to the discussion I would guess...

I don't know how WarriorForum even happened. I was pretty much instantly turned off by the concept and never cared enough to watch it unfold. Same goes for anything moz related... or WH...

I DO know that in BH, all things BH from link building to stuffing to... (fill in BH thing here).... history has shown that the more someone knows, the less willing they are to share details. They will give you vague ideas, or speak about concepts on a whole, but as far as saying 'Here are the 5 steps you need to make $1,000 a day'.... you don't find that kind of thing. That's just not appealing to anyone in the discussion other than curious WH/GH marketers.....

exactly, even before i got into seo the first thing that came across my mind was that anyone who was really making any decent amount of money would have absolutely no interest in sharing it, even for a price. Protecting the method is far more profitable than selling it for $7.

I have tried to helps family members and friends before, but i quickly realised that 99% of people like the idea of making money online, but dont have the gumption, resilience, dedication and sheer bloody mindedness to see it through.

I have tried to helps family members and friends before, but i quickly realised that 99% of people like the idea of making money online, but dont have the gumption, resilience, dedication and sheer bloody mindedness to see it through.

And actually, that's where the "gurus" come in. Don't want to put in the effort to learn the ropes the hard way? No problem. Check out my Clickbank earnings and my brand new Corvette and buy my Make Money Online eBook, totally free! And $17.

Sheesh.

I think many people (most? all?) want answers handed to them, rather than deal with uncertainty. So they'll probably always be the Guru biz.

You get that everywhere and not just in the make money online area. Those people are never going to make any money no matter what they do and will always blame it on bad info but it really comes down to motivation.

Easy - there's no "Maturity Test" for entry into IM. Explains why I'm here and have managed to succeed, grow, prosper, flourish ...you get the point.

Think about it - most other professions, you show up in your pajamas, tell each other to phuck off, and try to swindle each other on a consistent basis - you'd last about 10 minutes. Here, you're a frickin' god, or goddess.

Personally I think it is the low barrier to entry that exists for "making money online" Anytime you have that you get a lot of people looking for a quick get rich scheme. Ten years ago you could see all those "make money in real estate with no money down" info commercials on late night TV. There are and will always be plenty of people looking for that bright shiny penny that will lead them to riches, it is just that on WaFo they can find it for $7 so the market is bigger.

Whenever I think of cheesy "IM infomercials" I think back to the "Internet Treasure Chest." In fact, my friend and I still joke about it from time to time. It's his goal in life to do absolutely nothing. (If you've seen Office Space, you'll understand.) I always tell him to buy the Internet Treasure Chest and he'll never have to work again. :)

What a joke most of these companies are. It's really a shame. I've even had to stop a few people that I know from falling for the infomercial traps.

Edited by JSP

It's because there is no standard and in reality no tangible results. You can't "do" a certain thing in SEO and really know if or how well it worked and therefore leads into lots of interpretation.

I agree with you, for example I rank www.example.com with my regular ranking methods...The other site is www.mydomain.com also using my regular methods to rank a website, the two website are a personal blog sites. But sadly, the 2nd site didn't rank well in search engine as I use the same strategy. I don't believe in SEO gurus, only Google does the title of SEO Guru. Is this make sense?

And actually, that's where the "gurus" come in. Don't want to put in the effort to learn the ropes the hard way? No problem. Check out my Clickbank earnings and my brand new Corvette and buy my Make Money Online eBook, totally free! And $17.

Sheesh.

Hey man, you can run down the Clickbank earnings, but DO NOT run down the Corvette.... =)

i officially gave up on the seo WF gurus. The right information is out there you just have to find it, instead of paying money for rehhashed material like most wso's are.

Well lots of big statements out there not just on WF.

Here gets a few.

I think they most cousins from the Indian content , where the term Guru carries weight.

Always believed an expert is a drip under pressure. :)

Edited by Fishingman1

Well lots of big statements out here not just on WF.

Here gets a few.

I think they most cousins from the Indian content , where the term Guru carries weight.

Always believed an expert is a drip under pressure. :)

well thats the thing, i purchased my last info wso a few months ago and asked for a refund not even 15 mins later since it was a fluff filled crap fest of info i found on forums already.

well thats the thing, i purchased my last info wso a few months ago and asked for a refund not even 15 mins later since it was a fluff filled crap fest of info i found on forums already.

LOL Nice turn of phrase.