Iprovideseo

Tiered Linkbuilding Experiment

Does tiered linkbuilding still work in 2014? How effective can it be after all of the latest algorithm updates targeting the strategy?

These are questions that continually pop up around the internet marketing and SEO world. I wanted to test out several tiered linkbuilding campaigns on a brand new website with a good silo structure and unique SEO optimized content.

Here is the case study,

Please login or register to see this link.

Feel free to ask questions and I will answer them!

Does tiered linkbuilding still work in 2014? How effective can it be after all of the latest algorithm updates targeting the strategy?

Actually it should read more like "after the Google Dept of misinformation said that the latest algorithm changes would be targeting the strategy"

Tiered linkbuilding will always work but with the new updates, it needs to be done with caution. Gone are the days (as far as I see it anyway) of using 4 articles spread across 1000 different link types. Well I say that, although I still see such quality consistently being purchased by the new guys. Matt Cutts aggressive campaign will eventually disembark across the web, just not yet :)

What I find a bit frustrating with these kind of experiments is that nobody seems to look at the first page competition from an seo perspective.

Saying "the keyword has 12000 per month searches" does'nt make any difference it's the pages your are competing against that matters. The competition column in keyword planner is not seo competition but rather how many people are biding on that keyword via AdWords.

It's pretty pointless doing this kind of thing without knowing what you are up against, what if the top 10 are all inner pages with no PR, no backlinks, no DA, can't then really claim that this method is the bee's knees.

Find yourself a keyword that has an average of pr3/4 competing pages, all with plenty of backlinks etc, then try your test and see how it performs, gonna cost you more than $50 that's for sure, at least after you'll have a better idea of what's required to crack the top 10.

Having said that, if you do find a keyword with very little seo competition a couple of good PR links would probably be enough to do it.

Also, might be a good idea to run it along side a different strategy to see which one works the best, does tiered linkbuilding still work?...compared to what?

Edited by gez40

As long as they will use backlinks as a determining factor for the rankings, tiered backlinking will definitely work. :)

Exactly what I was about to say. And if backlinking works then it does not matter if it's a link wheel or a link pyramid or any other sort of backlinking, It's still going to work!!

In my opinion, all backlinks will work, that's the reason why Google has been very strict with the links. So tiered link building does work however be very careful not to leave footprints and make sure that they appear as natural links.

I am very positive that tiered linkbuilding is still very effective but I think everyone will appreciate it
if we can have an update from Iprovideseo about this experiment. Did you make it on the first page?

The concept of Tiered link building still works BUT your success may depend on ...

1. Anchor text distribution to your MS

2. Quality and uniqueness of the content

3. Trust of the websites

4. Relevancy

5. Subnets

6. Index rate

7. Velocity

8. Age of links

9. Footprints

etc, etc, etc.

As with pretty much everything else in SEO your mileage may vary. 

Edited by sweeppicker

It depends on what is your way to build tiers. It's all the time good working but soon or later could be a problem if the second level conains only spam. For example big blast from scrapebox. Also big meaning is how looks your blogs from first level. 

More content, not too many links, pictures, seo settings, tags and diffrent blogs - that is good working.

They are some great strategies for repurposing the content. I like the idea of having the start of a tutorial on YouTube and then the full tutorial self hosted on the blog. This would definetly help suck people from Youtube into the site.

This thread is from 3 years ago. Does tiered link building still work? 

Very much so...

The thing to keep in mind when building links is what you are actually trying to do. The real goal is to build links to your site that as much as possible mimic real natural links so that Google can not tell the difference between your link profile and the profile of a site that has not done any artificial link building.  This is the main reason you want to keep a diversified link profile as possible because real sites get all kinds of links so this makes it much harder for Google to find a pattern that shows your links are fake. 

All tiers are is taking sites/pages and building them up so they have some strength to give your money site. You basically have two choices, you can purchase links/domains that already have the strength you are looking for or you can build that strength yourself. Building tiers is just building your own strength rather than buying it. 

Very much so...

The thing to keep in mind when building links is what you are actually trying to do. The real goal is to build links to your site that as much as possible mimic real natural links so that Google can not tell the difference between your link profile and the profile of a site that has not done any artificial link building.  This is the main reason you want to keep a diversified link profile as possible because real sites get all kinds of links so this makes it much harder for Google to find a pattern that shows your links are fake. 

All tiers are is taking sites/pages and building them up so they have some strength to give your money site. You basically have two choices, you can purchase links/domains that already have the strength you are looking for or you can build that strength yourself. Building tiers is just building your own strength rather than buying it.

Do you build them the same way you did a few years ago or pretty much the same?

Do you build them the same way you did a few years ago or pretty much the same?

Generally the same with a few changes. 

1. Longer content

2. Deeper so the spam links have an extra buffer level

3. Content on the tier 1's is a bit higher quality

4. Use way more social media accounts and posts then I used to use. 

1. Longer content

What kind of sites do you use for building tiers?

1. Longer content

How do you use the social media accounts in your tiers?