• Create Account

Hey Guest, Welcome to Traffic Planet!

Sign up today in order to gain access to a vast range of features including the ability to create new topics, send private messages, Facebook & Twitter integration and MUCH more!

• RSS Feed
  •  

Terry Kyle

SEO Tools/Vendors Currently Used & Recommended By Terry Kyle

TOOL/SERVICE TYPE PRICES FROM
    6,000 Social Signals Social Gig $12
    SAPE Links Backlinks $13
    (5 Links Up To TF45)
    YouTube Embeds YouTube SEO $15
    Cloudboss.pro (by TK) SEO Cloud Hosting
    & PBN Management
    $59.99
    Bluechip Backlinks (by TK) Expired Domain Locator $99.99
    (4 Crawlers)
    WP Botwatch Googlebot Tracking FREE
    WPX Hosting (by TK) WP Money Site Hosting $24.99
    (5 sites)
    SEMRush Competitor Analysis $99.95

TODAY’S BESTSELLING IM/SEO PRODUCTS ON JVZOO: JULY 24 2017

RANK PRODUCT VENDOR BASE PRICE
    1 Converzly Simon Harries $47.00
    2 SyndRanker: Link Indexer Neil Napier $17.00
    3 Daily IM Alfredo Delgado $27.00
    4 Co Embed John Gibb And Mo Miah $47.00
    5 Viddyoze Template Club Viddyoze $37.00
    6 The Warrior Mindset - Complete Sales Funnel With PLR PLR Sales Funnels $9.95
    7 WebCopyCat Devon Brown $34.95
    8 My Bitcoin Bot Monthly Trading Software Pro $39.00
    9 FB Live Massive Traffic Firesale 2.0 -- Henry Gold (PLR) Henry Gold $19.16
    10 The Commission Machine 2017 Michael Cheney $19.95
    11 Kindle Keyword and Self Publishing Software David Chesson $97.00

Why You Should Never Ever Use These Hosting Companies For Money Sites - Part 1

• Please log in to reply
    92 replies to this topic

#1 TerryKyle

TerryKyle

Administrator

• Owner
    • posts 1,233

Posted 22 January 2014 - 12:46 PM

This applies to any 'supercheap' hosting company, not just Hostgator or Bluehost - you are throwing away money every day if you do - more on that in a moment, with compelling proof...

Over the years, I’ve probably dealt with almost every hosting company in the world and most of them share a common trait: they suck, but usually for different reasons.

In 2013, I decided that enough was enough and started my own (Money Site) hosting company, Traffic Planet Hosting and in this argument to the jury, I’m going to outline the case as to why you should NEVER EVER again use Hostgator/Bluehost type hosting for your Money Sites and should consider Traffic Planet Hosting for hosting those assets (NOTE: Traffic Planet Hosting is NOT in any way a multi-IP SEO hosting company, it's ONLY for Money Site type hosting).

Even if Google were not taking page load speed into account for rankings at all, what kind of user experience do you want your Money Sites to offer? And is any visitor converting after waiting 20-30 seconds for a page to load on cheap, basic hosting?
    The reality of cheap hosting: more traffic = painfully slow page loads
    (e.g. 20-30 seconds to load a page, see loadimpact.com hosting stress tests below)

hgcheck1.png
    With normal Hostgator hosting, your Money Site will have multiple users waiting 25-30 seconds for a page to load - that's disastrous for conversions and user experience!
    (Full testing methodology explained below)

And will you even realize that happened with your Money Site traffic?

See results for yourself at:
    http://loadimpact.com/load-test/speedtesthgatorcom.com-a4cd69c0baae9d01c894b097eae99f68

Exactly the same site tested on Bluehost:

bhcheck1.png

At worst here, visitors to this Bluehost-hosted Money Site are waiting 15-20 seconds for a page to load - also a conversion killer.
    See results for yourself at:
    http://loadimpact.com/load-test/speedtestbluehcom.com-7d851c054ae60525626f218fa101201c

And again the exact same site on Traffic Planet Hosting:

tphcheck1.png

Even with 100 users online at once (exactly the same site as that above on HG and BH), pages load in under 1 second and
    never more than 2 seconds during the whole loadimpact.com stress test - see results for yourself at:
    http://loadimpact.com/load-test/speedtesttrafficplanethosting.com-9f56210fbfa9d273b6e75ebcbc3e8317 

and the Pingdom tools score for that same site on Traffic Planet Hosting:

pingdomtph1.png

http://tools.pingdom.com/fpt/#!/cjKtJm/http://speedtesttrafficplanethosting.com/

1.25 seconds to load the page and 147 milliseconds waiting time which is pretty quick - full speed test further below - but Pingdom
    isn't checking performance when multiple users visit the same site at the same time like loadimpact.com (you may need to rerun Pingdom tests a few times to get accurate results).

By the way, here's the Pingdom score for my blog at seotraffichacks.com hosted on Traffic Planet Hosting which has 17 active plugins going (plugins can slow down performance a lot):

blogscore3.png

http://tools.pingdom.com/fpt/#!/cWOlsx/http://seotraffichacks.com/ 

tph1a.png

And as far back as 2010, Google was already factoring site speed into rankings:

googleonspeed1.png

http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2010/04/using-site-speed-in-web-search-ranking.html

and the impact of slow speed on your conversions:

googleonspeed2.png

http://econsultancy.com/blog/10936-site-speed-case-studies-tips-and-tools-for-improving-your-conversion-rate

and what one new Traffic Planeteer had to say about switching over to Traffic Planet Hosting:

googleonspeed3.png

http://trafficplanet.com/index.php?/topic/7971-why-you-should-never-ever-use-these-hosting-companies-for-money-sites-part-1/#entry91610

If you have Money Sites that you value, promote, use email marketing on and SEO that are hosted on normal cheap hosting, I strongly urge you to check your site/s performance with multiple users at the same time over on http://loadimpact.com/ now (it's free but you need to register there).

Even if your rankings aren't amazing for some of your Money Sites, what if you email your list to visit a new offer on your site - will they be waiting up to 30 seconds for pages to load (would you wait?).

Nothing will destroy potential conversions and frustrate site visitors from your latest email promotion more than pages that take 20-30 seconds to load.

But how does Traffic Planet Hosting stack up on other factors against companies like Bluehost and Hostgator AND good hosting companies that charge more?

Traffic Planet Hosting has 4 main objectives:

1. To give users the fastest & easiest possible instant access to all of the functions of their hosting and domain account backed by fast support, when required
    2. To ensure consistently very fast page load speed, especially under heavy traffic loads
    3. To make it as difficult as possible for sites hosted with us to be 'hackable' by offering the best available security
    4. To offer great value for money on superior hosting

In short, we're striving to be the 'LeadPages' of Hosting with constant smart innovation and service delivery.

So when it comes to hosting, I look for those four things: 

1. EASY/FAST TO USE: How easy and fast is it to set up site hosting and the usual associated tasks (creating email addresses, forwarding emails, 301 redirects etc)?

2. SITE SPEED: Is the page load performance acceptable? I don’t just mean raw millisecond page load speed but waiting time and stress testing of multiple simultaneous users (cheap hosting means that more traffic causes crazy slow page load speed or sites go offline completely - see the speed and stress tests below):

3. VALUE: Is it value for money?

4. SUPPORT: Is the support any good?

In this comparison of WordPress-optimized hosting services (what TPH is set up for), the new kid on the block, Traffic Planet Hosting (US-based hosting only at the moment), will go into the wrestling ring against established players like WPEngine.com, Websynthesis.com (from the Copyblogger crew), Bluehost (not a recognized WP optimized hosting company) and Hostgator (also not promoting itself as a ‘WP optimized’ hosting company).

shootout1.jpg

Also, on any of the above companies' hosting accounts, including Traffic Planet Hosting, you can host any type of site there: HTML, Magento etc but the main focus here will be on WordPress. 
    How are you testing the hosting Terry?

To FAIRLY compare the performance of these five hosting companies on these 4 criteria, I have set up a default installation of Avada, the bestselling WP theme from themeforest.net, with Avada’s sample content, identically across all five services using WP 3.8 (the latest WP version) - Avada is famously UNoptimized so it's a good test for any hosting service:

compare1.png

No plugins have been added on the 5 test sites EXCEPT Fusion Core and Revolution Slider which are essential for Avada to function (plugins and elements like Google Fonts - which Avada IS using here by default - can seriously slow down site performance, even though they are very useful to have):

compare2.png

If any representative from the above hosting companies wishes to inspect the test site hosted on their service (I welcome them to), they will see that this test is as fair as possible and no installation of Avada is any different to the other contenders here.

Performance-wise, I have used the stress test function (multiple users on a site a once) on loadimpact.com and the tools function at Pingdom.com to independently analyze the performance of each hosting company (remember, all plugins except those required for Avada have been completely removed from all 5 WP installations).

Here I am comparing a ‘Business Plan’ package ($24.99 monthly for up to 5 websites) on Traffic Planet Hosting:

compare3a.png

against a ‘Personal Plan’ on wpengine.com ($29 monthly for 1 website):

compare5a.png

a ‘Starter Plan’ on websynthesis.com ($27 monthly for 1 website):

compare4a.png

a ‘Standard Plan’ on Bluehost ($5.95 a month but not much of a bargain when it destroys your conversions):

compare7.png

and a standard Reseller Setup on Hostgator ($24.95 monthly):

compare6.png

For this comparison, these domains were registered and hosted at each of the respective services:

http://speedtesttrafficplanethosting.com/ (Traffic Planet Hosting)

http://www.speedtestwpeng.com/ (WP Engine)

http://speedtestwebsynth.com/ (Websynthesis)

http://speedtestbluehcom.com/ (Bluehost)

http://speedtesthgatorcom.com/ (Hostgator)

Test 1: How easy and fast is it to set up site hosting and the associated tasks on each service?

Traffic Planet Hosting has a bespoke admin panel where you can install WordPress on a new domain in under 2 minutes (see video below) and get your site live fast (Site Migration takes longer with any hosting company, more on that shortly):

compare8a.png

Bluehost and Hostgator both use cPanel so it’s straightforward there too:

compare9.png

However, neither wpengine.com or websynthesis.com offer any kind of wizard for WP installation for their lower level services (Websynthesis doesn’t even have a Control Panel to speak of and a support ticket must be raised to do any basic functions) - here's what you get in Websynthesis:

compare10.png

and in WPEngine:

compare11.png

WP Install above is NOT a 1-click wizard but just a step in the process of their support team setting up your site via a ticket. WPEngine DO offer the ability for users to install WP themselves BUT only if you are on the $99 monthly plan or higher:

compare15.png

and in Websynthesis - a functionLESS Control Panel:

compare13.png

Yes, these WP-optimized hosting companies don’t have any kind of wizard or script for fast WP installation and you have to wait for their support team to get back to you (unless on the $99+ monthly plan with WPEngine).

Plus WPEngine and Websynthesis do NOT offer email accounts with your hosting. At all:

compare16.png

compare17.png

In comparison, you can setup email accounts and email forwarding instantly on Traffic Planet Hosting without support tickets or an external service:

compare18.png

So with WPEngine and Websynthesis, if you want email (not an option), an external service, possibly paid, is required and something like a 301 redirect also requires a support ticket. Bear in mind that cheapies like Bluehost and Hostgator do offer free email setup (instantly by the site owner) and 301 redirection but if you want that with Websynthesis or WPEngine , prepare for a wait or look elsewhere.

And, because Traffic Planet Hosting is a fully integrated domain registrar too, you can save your hosting slot/s by doing the 301 at the domain level (not your hosting account) in your Admin Panel without a support ticket:

compare19.png

On the usability front, another gotcha from wpengine.com is their list of forbidden plugins (which you find out after you subscribe):

adminer, async-google-analytics, backupwordpress, backwpup, broken-link-checker, contextual-related-posts, dynamic-related-posts, ezpz-one-click-backup, file-commander, fuzzy-seo-booster, google-sitemap-generator, google-xml-sitemaps-with-multisite-support, hcs.php, hello.php, jr-referrer, missed-schedule, no-revisions, ozh-who-sees-ads, portable-phpmyadmin, quick-cache, seo-alrp, similar-posts, superslider, text-passwords, the-codetree-backup, toolspack, tweet-blender, w3-total-cache, wordpress-gzip-compression, wordpress related posts, wp-cache, wp-database-optimizer, wp-db-backup, wp-dbmanager, wp-engine-snapshot, wp-file-cache, wp-mailinglist, wp-missed-schedule, wp-phpmyadmin, wp-postviews, wp-slimstat, wp-super-cache, wp-symposium-alerts, wponlinebackup, yet-another-featured-posts-plugin, yet-another-related-posts-plugin

Yes plugins can cause issues and conflicts and it’s advisable to not overdo it but wpengine.com pretty much bans anything that can make a WP site more marketing-optimized:

So to recap on easy and fast usability: Traffic Planet Hosting, Bluehost and Hostgator offer instant WP installation, instant email creation and forwarding setup and instant 301 redirection setup. With WPEngine and Websynthesis, they do not offer email at all and all installations or changes require a support ticket.

Also, if you need help migrating your site from your old hosting company, Traffic Planet Hosting offers that for free (within 24 hours, Monday-Friday usually), WPEngine charges $49 and Websynthesis $99 though all of those other companies have knowledgebase articles on doing it yourself.

And WPEngine and Websynthesis do NOT use conventional nameservers so you can't just change your nameserver details at your domain registrar, you have to go through a support ticket process - remember this from Websynthesis:

compare16.png

Now let's move on to the detailed speed tests of these hosting companies in Part 2 of this hosting shootout:

http://trafficplanet.com/index.php?/topic/7972-why-you-should-never-ever-use-these-hosting-companies-for-money-sites-part-2/ 

Visit Traffic Planet Hosting here:

https://trafficplanethosting.com/ 

#2 Terr0r

Terr0r

• posts 13

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:18 AM

If you pay pennies for hosting (hostgator/bluehost) your going to get a crappy service. Although I know hostgator has great support, their shared hosting packages are crap

#3 TerryKyle

TerryKyle

Administrator

• Owner
    • posts 1,233

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:31 AM

It's only when digging T that you see the real extent of the badness.

#4 100k

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
    • posts 119
    • LocationU.K

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:32 AM

Yep, need good hosting. VPS is also good.

Can't wait for Monday! I'm on page 1 position 7 using your shared tactics. Thanks a lot, Terry!

#5 TerryKyle

TerryKyle

Administrator

• Owner
    • posts 1,233

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:33 AM

Thanks 100k and sorry about the delay on replying to your PM - will get there today!

Traffic Planet Hosting will soon have VPS services too.

#6 unagi

unagi

• posts 29

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:09 AM

Thanks 100k and sorry about the delay on replying to your PM - will get there today!

Traffic Planet Hosting will soon have VPS services too.

Hey Terry, i love the sound of your hosting - from seeing it in traffick hacks and all the stats i see etc,

one thing - i like my diverse ips, setting up either custm dns, using a 3rd party dns (like dyn or registrar itself point direct at ded ip) and (not totally req., unless of course using seo hosting company which i cant get around exactly when as many sites - i only am using ones where i can get custom reverse DNS (rDNS) setup, and a decent range of ips and as i cluster them out - and some have multiple geo locations .... etc...

I have a good number of "money sites" and hundreds of sites in niche and so i tend to apply the same priciples to money sites as far as anonymity (though i actually god firbid installed google analytics for the first time in like 4 years on a site the other day ;) send shivers up my spine... i use clicky)....

but my main point here is the IP (yes c class stuff) and dns and all that... wondering if there are options here. as i definitely would never want to host multiple money sites on same ip or even same c class

i did just setup a pretty serious privae cloud thing at liquidweb i am using for some of this - but as with all things in this game - diversity is the magic word and i like to spread my risk around.....

i would love to give your hosting a go, just wondering about those issues - and whether the solution woould be simply getting multiple plans - one per site?   and if i did that is the ip space you have likely to give me a fairly different one on a second and third account???

im sure some others share my concerns but are also eager to test your impressive hosting here - especially coming from someone who gets the needs of us marketer mad-hatters :)

unagi++++

#7 TerryKyle

TerryKyle

Administrator

• Owner
    • posts 1,233

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:29 AM

Hey Terry, i love the sound of your hosting - from seeing it in traffick hacks and all the stats i see etc,

one thing - i like my diverse ips, setting up either custm dns, using a 3rd party dns (like dyn or registrar itself point direct at ded ip) and (not totally req., unless of course using seo hosting company which i cant get around exactly when as many sites - i only am using ones where i can get custom reverse DNS (rDNS) setup, and a decent range of ips and as i cluster them out - and some have multiple geo locations .... etc...

I have a good number of "money sites" and hundreds of sites in niche and so i tend to apply the same priciples to money sites as far as anonymity (though i actually god firbid installed google analytics for the first time in like 4 years on a site the other day ;) send shivers up my spine... i use clicky)....

but my main point here is the IP (yes c class stuff) and dns and all that... wondering if there are options here. as i definitely would never want to host multiple money sites on same ip or even same c class

i did just setup a pretty serious privae cloud thing at liquidweb i am using for some of this - but as with all things in this game - diversity is the magic word and i like to spread my risk around.....

i would love to give your hosting a go, just wondering about those issues - and whether the solution woould be simply getting multiple plans - one per site?   and if i did that is the ip space you have likely to give me a fairly different one on a second and third account???

im sure some others share my concerns but are also eager to test your impressive hosting here - especially coming from someone who gets the needs of us marketer mad-hatters :)

unagi++++

Thanks unagi, appreciated.

While we do have customizable nameservers, IP variation isn't presently an option - sorry - and multiple plans won't provide a workaround either (until we have 100 servers in 12 locations!).

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful there - yet.

#8 nicbos

nicbos

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
    • posts 339
    • LocationItaly

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:31 AM

Once again, thanks Terry for your unsurpassed analysis. Not only you are providing a good hosting service (well, not being actually a customer yet, I am sure it is) but you are allowing us to dig into hosting companies' plus/minus. Five stars to this post +++++.

#9 COBSolutions

COBSolutions

• posts 34
    • LocationDelhi

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:57 AM

When is the timeframe for VPS & Deds ?

#10 seomagician

seomagician

• posts 58

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:11 AM

Hey Terry,

I have a website with 500.000 visitors/month and around 6 million pageviews/month, what can you offer me? (Site is running on wordpress of course)

Edited by seomagician, 23 January 2014 - 11:33 AM.

#11 Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor

• posts 15

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:03 PM

Excellent post and you are offering a superlative web hosting service.

The best way to ensure fast load times is to wrote the website in HTML5 and CSS, not use a CMS service loike Wordprss if at all possible.

#12 TerryKyle

TerryKyle

Administrator

• Owner
    • posts 1,233

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:14 PM

When is the timeframe for VPS & Deds ?

Realistically, March/April - we want the existing service completely optimized first (it's very good now though!).

#13 TerryKyle

TerryKyle

Administrator

• Owner
    • posts 1,233

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:19 PM

Hey Terry,

I have a website with 500.000 visitors/month and around 6 million pageviews/month, what can you offer me? (Site is running on wordpress of course)

Hi S,

You need a decent VPS for that or a dedicated server, neither of which we offer right at the moment - sorry!

#14 Malc Simmonds

Malc Simmonds

• posts 31
    • LocationBrighton, UK

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:58 PM

Hi Terry

A very timely post - BH has given me from 85-95% uptime in the past 24 hours, and far from perfect over the past 2 weeks I've been tracking it.

I also only found out last week that Bluehost actively throttles your bandwidth. If you go beyond their specifications. And therefore fully mine – I can't quite work out why yet. And I won't even bother because I'm moving anyway!

I was about to test a copy of my site on three hosts - MDD, Stablehost and one other. The looks like you have done that for me – and better than I could do!

I'm looking forward to reading part two.

Best, Malc

You WILL banish # Procrastination, # Email bloat, # Wasting time, # Wasting money

Killer (FREE) time management system WILL make you super-efficient - you'll wonder what hit you!!

Getting Things Done PLUS Evernote turned my life around - read here how you can do it B)

#15 TerryKyle

TerryKyle

Administrator

• Owner
    • posts 1,233

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:04 PM

Hi Terry

A very timely post - BH has given me from 85-95% uptime in the past 24 hours, and far from perfect over the past 2 weeks I've been tracking it.

I also only found out last week that Bluehost actively throttles your bandwidth. If you go beyond their specifications. And therefore fully mine – I can't quite work out why yet. And I won't even bother because I'm moving anyway!

I was about to test a copy of my site on three hosts - MDD, Stablehost and one other. The looks like you have done that for me – and better than I could do!

I'm looking forward to reading part two.

Best, Malc

Thanks Malc, from memory you're down Brighton way and our hosting is US-based so not good (yet) for UK sites, SEO-wise.

#16 sixpack

sixpack

• posts 54

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:18 PM

Blue Host and Host Gator are the same company

#17 sweeppicker

sweeppicker

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
    • posts 247

Posted 23 January 2014 - 05:05 PM

Hostgator has been great for me for the past 4 years. Can't complain.

#18 unagi

unagi

• posts 29

Posted 23 January 2014 - 05:42 PM

your hosting needs must not have gotten to a point where it's a problem - or somehow (doubtful) you ended up on some fluke good server with few or no shady things going on... and light load.

BUT either way it may seem fine - and i dont know your site's resource needs but most these days benefit insanely from a good solid infrastructure paired with a CDN, even if its just cloudflare...

I started with good old hostgator account like 5-6 yrs ago ... it served me ok and definitely handled my neglible traffic! but then it didnt when i got kicked off from too many file node something (basically an auto site builder that was actually pretty cool but generated pages as it got browsed and or crawled - when it hit a few hundred thousand I was booted out :)

And when you;ve setup a bunch of domains on one cpanel - vs WHM and a cpanel (and ded ip) for every one its very very nice to deal with .... the transition not so much (if you have like 20-30-40 addon domains as i did then)....

I just finished setting up (with a bunch of fiddling around continuing to learn out of necessit network tech stuff - im a reasonablwe tech savvy guy but runnings tons of SSH commands for this and that... not for me... but the private cloud setups (rackspace has this too) and yes obviously its only for people in need of and who can or HAVE to budget in the costs ....

i admit im rather excited about it and can't help but brag about the specs - esp. the ram

CPU: Intel Dual Xeon E5645 Speed: 2400MHz RAM: 64550MB CPUs: 2 Physical CPUs Cores: 12 Total Cores RAID: Level 10 Disks: 4 Size: 407GB Type:

SSD

The way it works is you have this dedicated server all to yourself - so arent sharing cloud resources, which is good for speed, security etc. but the really cool thing is i can then basically "chop it up" into as many "instances" - basicaly like all cloud host plans or basically like me running windows on my mac in vmware as i do....

it subdivides virtual processors into 32, so that would be the maximum number of accounts i could create on it - but i have 8 or 9 setup now might how to 12.... these are for my best sites and ones i dont want to mess around with after weeks lost to security and hacking crap last year

Its not just that you can essential create you own cloud WHM / cpanel (or other - even mix windows though i dont know why you'd want to - i have my BH VPS elsehwere more amenable to these things....

but you can specify to the mb of ram, and just as pricesly with storage .... for each one's need - and quickly basically instantly resive them at any moment. It lets yu squeeze all the available resources from the box, and importantly for me, i can add up to 8 ips on each instance... they arent always unique c classes but plenty are, and i can always kill some wait a bit and try again for new ones at only $1 each...

I like to isolate my sites as they tend to compete against each other - so this stuff is crucial and its the nicest solution ive found so far.

cost is down from before i switched from just a bucnh of their storm servers - the dedi is 490 a month, then various licensing, ips, etc probably will bring it to 600-650 a month which sounds a lot maybe - but its cutting a chunk of cost from my overall bill (i do have a lot of sites up all over ... many many many hundreds - so trying to slim down expenses while benefiting these ways at same time is a happy thing for me :)

I'm not bashing hostgator - not too much at least (used to be awesome support etc) but i have heard horror stories and myself - still using some of their seohosting.com (host gator as well) I havent had as good an experience as i would hope for recently and plan on dumping it...  the ips are shared (wirh some sketchy stuff) limiting my custom dns options some and its overprices for what it is. way better to use seohsot.com or seowebhosting.com

there isn't exactly too much of a moral of the story - other than that as you grow you can find youself in a crappy situation - and are a lot more vulnerable from security POV... i wold probably still recommend them for basic use but nothing critical.

Speaking of security - i am looking at adding this dome9.com to my servers as a semi affordable option given my circumstances - hundreds of sucuri plans tends to add up!! but this seems like an elegant solution - just wondering if anyone has had experiences, good or bad, usign them?

UANGI+++++++++++++++++

#19 TerryKyle

TerryKyle

Administrator

• Owner
    • posts 1,233

Posted 23 January 2014 - 06:03 PM

Have you tested how your site/s handles multiple users online at loadimpact.com SP?

#20 sweeppicker

sweeppicker

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
    • posts 247

Posted 23 January 2014 - 07:14 PM

your hosting needs must not have gotten to a point where it's a problem - or somehow (doubtful) you ended up on some fluke good server with few or no shady things going on... and light load.

BUT either way it may seem fine - and i dont know your site's resource needs but most these days benefit insanely from a good solid infrastructure paired with a CDN, even if its just cloudflare...

I started with good old hostgator account like 5-6 yrs ago ... it served me ok and definitely handled my neglible traffic! but then it didnt when i got kicked off from too many file node something (basically an auto site builder that was actually pretty cool but generated pages as it got browsed and or crawled - when it hit a few hundred thousand I was booted out :)

And when you;ve setup a bunch of domains on one cpanel - vs WHM and a cpanel (and ded ip) for every one its very very nice to deal with .... the transition not so much (if you have like 20-30-40 addon domains as i did then)....

I just finished setting up (with a bunch of fiddling around continuing to learn out of necessit network tech stuff - im a reasonablwe tech savvy guy but runnings tons of SSH commands for this and that... not for me... but the private cloud setups (rackspace has this too) and yes obviously its only for people in need of and who can or HAVE to budget in the costs ....

i admit im rather excited about it and can't help but brag about the specs - esp. the ram

CPU: Intel Dual Xeon E5645 Speed: 2400MHz RAM: 64550MB CPUs: 2 Physical CPUs Cores: 12 Total Cores RAID: Level 10 Disks: 4 Size: 407GB Type:

SSD

The way it works is you have this dedicated server all to yourself - so arent sharing cloud resources, which is good for speed, security etc. but the really cool thing is i can then basically "chop it up" into as many "instances" - basicaly like all cloud host plans or basically like me running windows on my mac in vmware as i do....

it subdivides virtual processors into 32, so that would be the maximum number of accounts i could create on it - but i have 8 or 9 setup now might how to 12.... these are for my best sites and ones i dont want to mess around with after weeks lost to security and hacking crap last year

Its not just that you can essential create you own cloud WHM / cpanel (or other - even mix windows though i dont know why you'd want to - i have my BH VPS elsehwere more amenable to these things....

but you can specify to the mb of ram, and just as pricesly with storage .... for each one's need - and quickly basically instantly resive them at any moment. It lets yu squeeze all the available resources from the box, and importantly for me, i can add up to 8 ips on each instance... they arent always unique c classes but plenty are, and i can always kill some wait a bit and try again for new ones at only $1 each...

I like to isolate my sites as they tend to compete against each other - so this stuff is crucial and its the nicest solution ive found so far.

cost is down from before i switched from just a bucnh of their storm servers - the dedi is 490 a month, then various licensing, ips, etc probably will bring it to 600-650 a month which sounds a lot maybe - but its cutting a chunk of cost from my overall bill (i do have a lot of sites up all over ... many many many hundreds - so trying to slim down expenses while benefiting these ways at same time is a happy thing for me :)

I'm not bashing hostgator - not too much at least (used to be awesome support etc) but i have heard horror stories and myself - still using some of their seohosting.com (host gator as well) I havent had as good an experience as i would hope for recently and plan on dumping it...  the ips are shared (wirh some sketchy stuff) limiting my custom dns options some and its overprices for what it is. way better to use seohsot.com or seowebhosting.com

there isn't exactly too much of a moral of the story - other than that as you grow you can find youself in a crappy situation - and are a lot more vulnerable from security POV... i wold probably still recommend them for basic use but nothing critical.

Speaking of security - i am looking at adding this dome9.com to my servers as a semi affordable option given my circumstances - hundreds of sucuri plans tends to add up!! but this seems like an elegant solution - just wondering if anyone has had experiences, good or bad, usign them?

UANGI+++++++++++++++++

It's all relative to your needs and traffic. Many of my properties are niche sites pulling in ~ 500 UVs/day. These are small but targetted traffic levels and do not warrant upgrading to a dedicated hosting package. Hostgator has huge infrastructure and can certainly accomodate that. If I was running a larger operation I would certainly consider other options. Regardless, I have no doubt Terry is offering a great service as he is a stand-up guy.

Edited by sweeppicker, 23 January 2014 - 07:17 PM.