Seo_Genius

12 Weeks Case Study: Can I Double My Traffic Without Google?

As far as I know

Please login or register to see this link.

which didn't turn out very effective or may be he's too busy :) So I would like to take the charge.

Last year we were hit by many Google updates and this won't be an exception this year as well. So I personally think, in 2014 it's going to be very crucial for the SEOs and we should start exploring alternative opportunities to drive traffic without depending on Google that much.

I understand other strategies can be expensive and many of us have budget constraints. But on top of everything, If we can create a steady flow of traffic then I believe it will pay off in the long run.

Keeping this in mind, I have decided to perform a case study for a short span of 12 weeks on one of my niche sites. It's in the "Tablet" niche. Here's my traffic plan in a nutshell:

1. Leverage the power of social media:

I will primarily target 3 major social media sites i.e, facebook, twitter and pinterest to drive traffic to the website. 

a) Facebook: 

- Created a tech based fan page. Currently there are almost zero fans. 
- I’ll run fb ad campaigns to drive more fans to this page. 
- Participate in discussions at other related pages. 

B) Pinterest:

- Create boards and Pins.
- Create viral images and share on pinterest. 
- Achieve more followers to the boards.

c) Twitter:

- Will publish proactive tweets, re-tweets etc.
- I’ll use followerwonk to find likeminded people in the tablet niche, use hashtags etc.

2. Set up You tube channel:

My plan here is to upload all the latest official videos, product review videos and all other related videos that are helpful to the end reader. People search for official trailers and reviews when a new product comes out to the market. So I will try to leverage this opportunity.

3. Leverage the power of Google Alerts:

- Will set up alert for new videos on tech gadgets, tablets etc so that I can take those and upload on our channel as soon as they are live on internet. 

- I’ll also set the alerts for latest blog posts, news etc so that I can write great articles on those topics as well.

4. Driving Traffic from Forums:

- Will harvest a list of high traffic forums in the tablet/ gadget niche and participate on those on regular basis.

5. Capture Email Contacts:

I‘ll be working on a freebie item which I will give away to the visitors in exchange of their email address. This way we’ll try to build an email list which can be used later for newsletter, promo emails etc. 

6. Guest blogging:

- Try to publish guest posts on different high traffic sites. Since, I am not a native English speaker, so I will be hiring a native writer from oDesk or Elance and work with him/her closely to get our words published on some guest sites.

These are indeed a lot of work and that's why I have set small monthly goals for each section. More on this

I am announcing the case study news on all other forums as well and will be publishing regular updates on our progress. Hope it's going to be an exciting case study. 

What do you think about my plan? Your suggestions and participation will definitely make it a milestone for the fellow marketers!

I noticed that you did not mention paid ads at all. At the start of 2013 I started working my way through all of my sites with the goal of matching the Google traffic I was getting and while I have not made it through all of my sites yet I did make it through about 70% of them so far. I laid out what I have been doing in the following post

Yes I have checked it. The reason I omitted media buys is because they will end up very costly, specially for the niche I am in (tablet). Moreover, My test website is a Amazon affiliate website. so at this point I may not get good ROI from this. I may try this after the 1st month.    

Yes I have checked it. The reason I omitted media buys is because they will end up very costly, specially for the niche I am in (tablet). Moreover, My test website is a Amazon affiliate website. so at this point I may not get good ROI from this. I may try this after the 1st month.    

While the margins are smaller than SEO traffic it is still profitable if done correctly. I have not been doing any large buys but dealing with individual sites that have the same demographic as my sites. 

I think this is true but each niche is different. anyone can find thier market but once you find your market you have to find the buyer's within the market. for example i was doing marketing for a green screen studio in a local city. My market was filmmakers and only in that local city. I tried everything like forums, email optings, CL, google, sending emails to production companies, film job boards and the only things that worked were CL and google. I suggeston is to try everything until you find the buyers within your market.

Hi Guys,

I have an update for you to share. 

-We were able to drive good amount of traffic from pinterest and reddit whereas other platforms didn't perform as per the expectation. 

Key Lessons Learned:

- Traffic generation takes time and doesn’t happen overnight. The amount of traffic we are seeing now isn’t that much but it’s the crucial point of the game. It’s slowly growing. This is where most of us give up by thinking that these strategies don’t work .We had to spend around 2 hrs per day on an average. We also had to manage our client’s activities too! So it was hard to keep the pace.

Regularity is a key. It’s true that we couldn’t work on the project everyday and there were some mismanagement. I believe this is normal in human nature but those who can stick to the schedule win at the end of the day!

One should have a profound knowledge on a niche to take part in discussion. We had tough time in answering people’s query on different forums because of our lack of knowledge on a particular topic. I could Google the topic and find and answer but I still feel that you should have some sort of knowledge or practical experience on that particular niche.

Check out the full post here: 

One should have a profound knowledge on a niche to take part in discussion. We had tough time in answering people’s query on different forums because of our lack of knowledge on a particular topic. I could Google the topic and find and answer but I still feel that you should have some sort of knowledge or practical experience on that particular niche.

One thing you can do is partner up with somebody that knows the niche real well but has no idea about how SEO and the internet works. I have a few sites where I do that and though the process has not been completely painless it has worked out pretty good overall.

Although expensive, paid ads are a good way to create a steady traffic flow without needing Google...(assuming you avoid AdWords, of course).

Also, as well as forums (as youve mentioned), commenting on relevant blog posts (& leaving your link within your name) which are fresh & getting lots of visitors can also create a steady stream of traffic..  Not much.. but if done consistently & with other methods, it can bolster up your incoming traffic.

Az

Thanks for the update mate..I just want to share this very interesting article --

Thanks for this link. I have read the posts from Backlinko and by Matthew Woodward but I hadn't see the others so am loolking forward to reading the rest.

I particularly like case study type posts in which bloggers have implemented a strategy and then share their results.

And of course that is why I am enjoying this 12 week case study. It was interesting to see Pinterest and Reddit out-performing the others.

Glenys