HelgeSverre

$91 Worth of SEO, What did it bring me?

Since I was new to the whole link building world and didn’t know how to effectively start building links, nor did I know how to create a bunch of them or tier them in any way, so for my first Serious “money site†i decided to outsource the offsite SEO part of project.

Domain

Please login or register to see this link.

Domain Age:  5 Months
Niche: Web Hosting
Target Country: United States
PR: N/A(0)

Information About The Website

I started CloudBeast as a hobby project where I resell web hosting services from one of the largest web hosting companies that exists today, I aimed my price point to be on the cheap side as well as provided free hosting, I did this mostly to attract customers and because I wanted a bunch of free customers that I could use as training and a learning experience on how one should run a web hosting business, manage clients and deal with payments.

I promoted the website on 

at first and that attracted around 3 paying customers, several other free customers came through organic search or through hosting directories that I had submitted the site to, the free users make up around 90% of my customers, and most of them just sign up and don’t do anything with the site after signup.

Keyword Research

I did some keyword research and found a keyword and sub-niche I wanted to target, it had a low amount of searches per month but if i tailored my hosting services to that niche I would probably have more sales as it was relevant to what the user was searching for, as well as if you rank for one keyword, it’s easier to work your way up and rank for more competitive keywords down the road.

This keywords was: cheap personal webhosting.
Notice that the word “Web Hosting†is misspelled and put into one word, you will see why this is interesting later.

Preparation: On-Page SEO

Before I purchased the link building gigs from 

I started optimizing my title tags, meta tags and website content on my website, I added my keywords in the title like this: “CloudBeast | Cheap Personal Web Hostingâ€, and whatever was appropriate for the about, ToS and various other pages.

To make it imitatively clear what the website was about I added an 

(Purchased from a stock image site) in the middle of the front page right above my CTA.

I also sprinkled some of my keywords into the main page where I have a little description of what my website offers and who it is for, granted this could and should be longer than the 250 words I used.

I added a very clearly defined Call-To-Action button on the center of the front page that said “Check Out Our Hosting Plans ->†in a strong orange color that fit nicely with the rest of the color scheme of the website

Link Building: SEOClerks Gigs

I used these services as they had the highest ratings, a lot of positive feed back and the provider of these services seemed competent in what they where doing.

• $57 - 

• $29 - 

• $5   - 

Total Cost: $91 USD

Effect on Ranking

After I had let the campaign run for around 1-2 months I had successfully ranked in the top 5 for my target keyword, but not only had my site done that, it had also picked up rankings on various other keywords as well.

I used RankTracker(Watch my tutorial 

) with proxies from BuyProxies.com to track and check all rankings and competition.

These keywords were

• cheap personal web hosting (correctly spelled)
  • personal webhosting (misspelled)
  • cloud webhosting (misspelled)
RankTracker Overview (Read my Tutorial 

)

I added a few other keywords when I noticed I was ranking for these as well, Sorry for not having earlier keyword ranking data, I purchased this software a few months after running this campaign.

Other Ranking Reports
  • Please login or register to see this link.

Effect on Traffic

I have not seen any major increase in traffic although i get on average around 20~ unique visitors per day, if I start promoting it on various forums and blogs I might see a better increase in traffic and sales.

Google Analytics Reports

Effect on Sales and Profit

Despite my low cost web hosting and marketing efforts and discount codes I have yet to see an increase in sales, although this could be due to many factors like color choice, my simplistic design and the fact that my website does not have a lot of information about the service, this will be the first thing I am going to improve in the future.

WHMCS Reports

Read the full post with proper formatting on my blog

Would have totally loved to steal that post for my blog :P

I give you permission to re-post it if you want. ^^ 

I was inspired by your blog, so if you ever want a guest post I would be honored to put ya up on mine :)

my email: helge.sverre@marketingguard.com

Edited by HelgeSverre

This is the sort of information I joined this forum for. Nice post Helge

Great ROI, effort spent on onsite, trusting outsource to offsite SEO, getting paid.

For anyone who has been in the business for more than 3 months and hasn't at least done something like this yourself - shame on you.

This is inspiration. $100 and some effort up front. Cash in the bank.

Scritty

This is the sort of information I joined this forum for. Nice post Helge

Great ROI, effort spent on onsite, trusting outsource to offsite SEO, getting paid.

For anyone who has been in the business for more than 3 months and hasn't at least done something like this yourself - shame on you.

This is inspiration. $100 and some effort up front. Cash in the bank.

Scritty

It's a good start, but considering that the reseller hosting account costed 300$ / year I am actually loosing money, BUT, If i reopen my free hosting plans I would be able to build a niche targeted email list :D

I will deffinitively experiement more with this in other niches in the future and build upon the knowledge i gained from this.

Very happy to see this case study here- glad I passed LOL

I think beyond simply back linking, Helge spends time actually building his sites to offer real value to his visitors - rather than trying to fill it as quickly as possible with a few articles in the hope of ranking. (A lot of my clients do this)

This forum post is proof that Helge is different.

BTW, I didn't ask him to post this, nor did he ask me to hype up his blog- I just thought as my services were used in this case-study, I'd chime in!

Back to the topic of value etc, I read Matt Woodward's latest blog post today (above).

He talks about what Google wants/likes, and also what we should be doing to gain good rankings- there's some interesting data in there with 10,000 keywords researched for ranking factors etc- quite surprising what lands in first place (or maybe not since Google own this part of the web!)

Recommended read guys! 

So has anyone else here tried any of the services above?

I guess not then! LOL

Maybe you could help me Barry- I am interested in your services but honestly wanted to see what others had to say first.

Could you send me a pm please?

Thank you