dc_publius

Anyone using Craigslist to find writers?

I need some high quality pieces written by semi-pro writers.

I'm thinking of using Craigslist and I wanted to see if anyone else had any experience doing this.  How did it go?

Also, are there any tools that would help me manage my advertisements?  I guess I would post in several regions but this could be a pain...  not sure which regions to pick... 

Done a little bit with Craigslist, and it's not always the best approach just because you can get a lot of scam, and yes, finding the target market isn't always easy either. The best bet would be to stick to larger markets or markets with high-unemployment rates. NYC, Seattle, San Francisco, LA, Miami, Atlanta, just to name a few. There are plenty of writers in these towns. You should get a hit on your ad.

The content of your ad is probably the single most important aspect of the hiring process. Keep it super specific. Don't be afraid to share contents of the projects you may have them complete. At the minimum, you'll want to include any deadlines and form of payment (PayPal, Check, etc.). Another key element is to include the fact that you will be looking for some long-term employees. You don't want to get stuck with a handful of options that may only be looking for a few pick-up writing opportunities.

Finally, you MUST make sure that you have rules. If someone doesn't follow the simple rules that you give them, they won't follow your simple rules once you hire them. Rules would include: Provide 2 examples of your work in *.doc format. Provide two references. Provide your SkypeID if possible. Provide a résumé, etc. Again, if they can't follow the directions, can 'em. 

You might be better off outsourcing through www.textbroker.com at first, and if you like a specific writer that accepted one of your jobs, ask if they would like to have more regular work and outsource directly to them. Odesk is a popular choice as well.

Hope this helps!

I know its way long time. And probably you have find a good optional way to find great writers and may even tried automate the advertising part. 
 Just for record

You can easily find a great deal of good and great writers on the freelancing marketplace like Elance.com or Odesk.com I personally use Odesk for hiring. To find a real good writer on those marketplaces you need to be a bit more selective. Try to interview the person directly via skype, never hire a person who has ratings below 4. Go for Asian freelancer to save your bucks without sacrificing the quality.

And to advertise to bloggers or whoever you can try my new software Ninjaoutreach 

Thanks

Indeed, you can find writers at Craigslist but the chances of finding a good one is very, very low. Like what Ninja said, go to odesk or elance instead and go for Asians. Rates are cheap and their skills are not bad.

If you find really suburban areas on craigslist, it is best to post to those as you will get a lot of stay at home moms and college students. 

I have had very good experiences finding writers on craigslist but only after you sort through all the spam.

Well, hiring writers is always a risk. I am on Odesk and Elance, but I really look at their qualifications and experience, not their race or where are they from. It would be best if we could just write articles for ourselves since we already know what we need, right?

Well, hiring writers is always a risk. I am on Odesk and Elance, but I really look at their qualifications and experience, not their race or where are they from. It would be best if we could just write articles for ourselves since we already know what we need, right?

It depends on how much time you have and how much content you need? If you only have one website that covers a topic that you are really interested in then yes you should be able to write most if not all of you content. If however you have a bunch of niche sites about a variety of topics then chances are if you try to write all your own content then you are not going to have time to do anything else.

Not to mention if you need content to build out a network or for other linking sites like other tier one or additional tiers for linking.