WillBaggy

Google Webmaster Tools - alternatives? Need to tell Google to rank my site in UK not US - not keen to use Webmaster Tools though.

Google Webmaster Tools - alternatives? Need to tell Google to rank my site in UK not US - not keen to use Webmaster Tools though. 

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Well there are plenty of tools that you can use but as much as I tend to stay away from Google tools I think in this case telling Google directly through WMT is really your best bet.

Other than verifying your site you should not have to add any Google code like analytics to your site in order to tell Google you want to rank the site in the UK so it is really pretty low on "Google engagement" .

Hi,

What is the problem with GWT?

Your not giving them any data they don't already have - all signing up for GWT does is means you can view the data Google already knows about your site.

No need for tin foil hats here :)

Google Analytics though, thats a whole different kettle of fish!

A co.uk domain is the strongest signal for Google. But why this phobia of GWTs, if I may? They're really simple as ABC and setting a geo target in them takes just 1 minute.

Also, they say if you're hosted in your target country, it helps, too. Moreover, geographically explicit keywords on the website would be a signal. 

Oh, I remember watching a Matt Cutts video about it, you might want to look for it on 

Please login or register to see this link.

, just search for "geo", I couldn't grab the link to save that search.

We have 250 seo clients

In last 12 months 5 got unnatural link penalties

All 5 had Gwt

I doubt this is a coincidence

Making sure client does not have gwt is on our checklist

I would 301 your site to co.uk domain based on plenty of experience

We have 250 seo clients

In last 12 months 5 got unnatural link penalties

All 5 had Gwt

I doubt this is a coincidence

Making sure client does not have gwt is on our checklist

I would 301 your site to co.uk domain based on plenty of experience

Interesting, were the sites just added to GWT or were they using analytics as well? I tend to be part of the "tinfoil hat" group when it comes to Google and very rarely use any of their tools but when you add a site to GWT you are not really giving them any new info......

finemoves, are you talking about an unnatural links email or a penalty? Of course, if you didn't create a GWT account for a website, Google has no way of sending you an unnatural links warning. It could then just penalize a site without "saying" anything. 

But actually I agree that, if you don't really need webmaster tools, it's better not to expose your site for no particular reason. But then if you need to set a geo target, that could be a valid enough reason to do that, no?