Dirk_Diggler

Google Star ratings in natural search…

I’m looking for some help / advice on getting Google star ratings to appear in the natural search listings next to my websites.

I have ratings out there from customers on the likes of Review Centre and Feefo etc. and all the code on my site is correct but they just don’t show up in the natural listings?

I notice that if I run a PPC campaign they appear but this means paying Google s**t loads of cash, something which I don’t have. It has a massive affect on click through rate and I can’t compete with my competitors who run PPC who have these bright orange stars next to their listings.

I’ve been monitoring this for any months now on my competitor sites (who do PPC), and also sites in different niches and it appears Google very rarely shows the rating stars in natural search anymore.

Some of my competitors have over 100 reviews on review sites and they still don’t show up for them in natural search?

I know about a year ago you used to be able to hack it but this doesn’t seem to work anymore;

See here;

Please login or register to see this link.

I don’t want to go down any black hat route for this, I just want Google to show up my review ratings.

Any thoughts, ideas or advice is much appreciated.

To get the stars in natural search, you need to use the Schema.org markup.  You can markup your pages for any number of extra features to share with the search engines.  That said, there doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason when it comes to Google actually using the code.  For me, I've seen them use it for some pages and completely ignore it for others.

Yes there has to be another piece to the puzzle apart from just having the reviews. It must be related to the size of the site, structure, internal linking, inbound link quality or something like that.

I spoke to TrustPilot and they said their arrangement with Google is the reviews show up in PPC after receiving 30+ reviews, but thats PPC, natural listings they didn't know either.

I'm going to do some heavy research into this topic. I'll report back soon.

Are you talking about reviews of your website (such as those done on Bizrate/Shopzilla) or reviews of products that you house on your website?  Reviews that live on your site are going to use the Schema code.  Reviews from external websites like Bizrate typically only show up in PPC ads.

Try putting the schema markup on there and then link to a page that has actual reviews with additional review ratings and microformat markup there as well.

Google "meatloaf recipe" and take a look at the listings that have the rating stars, then start scrubbing through their page source code to try and draw some similarities. These recipe sites always have these stars show up in the serps and do really well at getting a lot of schema data to show up, i.e. cook time, calories, etc.

Edited by Logan Sargent

I found if I put star reviews on every page then none would show up. But if I just put it on a few pages that were ranking, then the stars would show after waiting a week or two. Very random. 

Also once I attached my G+ account to my site, the G+ pic started showing and killed all my stars. I may go back to the stars as I havent seen as good of a ctr with the G+ pic.

This has been discussed a lot online. 

Please login or register to see this link.

And these days could even hurt your site. 

The stars appear, because there is a line of structured data (schema) in the code of your site. 

Usually this standard would be used for ratings and reviews sites, but some clever webmaster had this idea to implement it on a regular site one day.

And so it began.

Nothing illegal in that, but I personally find it spammy.