TerryKyle

My Big 2013 Live Google-Less Traffic Generation Experiment

Terry

Thanks for being the "organic-traffic guinea pig" for us :)

I love the 5 "non-Google traffic generators" areas your are experimenting in.  However, I wouldn't mind - in a version 2 - seeing a variation of the 5 sources in the future i.e. 'Pinterest' and 'Solo Ads' (if this counts as a source).  My reason for saying that is that I have rarely fared well with Press Releases - perhaps its more about me than PR - and as mentioned, the other area I would like to see you experiment are 'Solo Ads' if they fit in your criteria as non-Google.  

The other thing; when it comes to NON-Google traffic I wonder how much influence the big G has over YouTube (even though its huge source for traffic).  I could be way out of the ballpark in my assumptions.  Just responding from your email.

Looking forward to see how you go over the coming months Terry.  I have a feeling you are going to do well.

Byrt

Sydney AUS

I second the Stumbleupon inclusion, Terry. Tim Anderson of Marginal Boundaries, who's into the location independent niche told me about the success he's experienced using SU in one of our talks while in Mexico. I didn't press on how he did it because of time constraint but I'll definitely ask about it when our business plans go through. He also lived in Bulgaria for a few years and he's got nothing but good words about the country. You're living in Bulgaria now, right?

Manuel

I'd definitely think way beyond YouTube for any videos you produce. PixelPipe seems closed to new users, TubeMogul's OneLoad might be an alternative for 'upload once, video everywhere' distribution. Live site links prefacing the video description are quite powerful for direct traffic generation over the LONG HAUL.

I think that's one of the biggest challenges we face: The internet's become so 'Fresh' oriented and temporal that many great links don't have nearly the staying-power they used to. Stuff gets buried, aged, flushed with an alarming, accelerated pace. So I foresee the need to stage an initial roll-out, but also have a well thought-out PACE of continued pressure. (i.e. steady press releases, new videos, etc. that just doesn't let up.)

Thanks Mac - and that certainly elevates the cost/time involved in cutting through the noise. I thought of a super-aggressive persona for this product (e.g. like Kelly Felix did with the Rich Jerk in IM years ago, hilarious stuff) BUT that niche is already full of obnoxious 'Tucker Max' types.

Interestingly, most of the busier forums in singles/dating/relationships don't allow sig links and few even have banner ads on them - surprising.

I second the Stumbleupon inclusion, Terry. Tim Anderson of Marginal Boundaries, who's into the location independent niche told me about the success he's experienced using SU in one of our talks while in Mexico. I didn't press on how he did it because of time constraint but I'll definitely ask about it when our business plans go through. He also lived in Bulgaria for a few years and he's got nothing but good words about the country. You're living in Bulgaria now, right?

Manuel

Thanks, appreciated.

Yes I do live in Bulgaria but right now I'm in London on SEO agency business and getting my Visa for Bulgaria sorted out.

Are you going to be posting the updates via sundayseo?

Sounds like its going to be a cracker!  Please document the entire process and get your hands dirty with some videos as you go, even if you dont release them now you might package them up into a product/autoresponder series etc at the end of it all.

Let me know if I can help/have any input along the way, you know where to find me ;)

Good luck terry and thanks for putting the effort into to create this for us all!

Would love to see:

1) Kindle platform (maybe more as a sales generator than a traffic
generator)
2) Media buys of pop-unders...you've probably seen that "10 million
impressions" thing that was floating around...of course that sort of stuff
is pretty much garbage, but can you get better results by buying pop-unders
directly and advertising there for traffic? I'd love to see some *real*
stats on that!

-Erica

Are you going to be posting the updates via sundayseo?

Sounds like its going to be a cracker!  Please document the entire process and get your hands dirty with some videos as you go, even if you dont release them now you might package them up into a product/autoresponder series etc at the end of it all.

Let me know if I can help/have any input along the way, you know where to find me ;)

Good luck terry and thanks for putting the effort into to create this for us all!

Thanks Matt, appreciated, and yes there will be videos on the way.

Would love to see:

generator)

stats on that!

-Erica

I'll look at those options thanks Erica.

I've now chosen my domain name, the logo has been made and I am working on the first 2 modules of 8 in the product itself.

At the moment, I'll run firstly with a Press Release campaign (probably webwire.com first) when the product/site is live but I'll set up unique tracking links for the press releases using yourls.org and the Google URL tool for better conversions tracking with Google Analytics.

When we get to that stage, I'll do videos on setting that up.

Would love to see:

generator)

stats on that!

-Erica

I agree with Erica...any stats on digi ads would be interesting to see.  Both on costs as well as results.

To clarify on the dating product that I'm currently creating for this experiment, I could have just grabbed some piece of PLR trash and used that as the main product (because this is just a traffic experiment right?) BUT I'm interested in actually building a decent new online business with a decent product and decent conversions.

For that reason, PLR is out and Product Creation is in.

Most of the product is written now (in Powerpoint) and this coming week, those will get turned into videos (with Camtasia 7), added to my Amazon S3 account and put into Kajabi.

Thank you for this experiment.

One suggestion: you can install 

Please login or register to see this link.

. This will allow you to monitor what your visitors are doing (it works the same as WP Clicks).

Here is a small tutorial on how to use it (sorry for some mistakes):

If you want to see how your visitors behave on your website, then check out

. It is like Google Analytics, but only for Yandex - a Russian search engine. To understand how this baby works, check out this video (it is in Russian, but you only have to watch what's happening):

Basically, you can improve conversion rates on your website. It is like the plugin WP Clicks, only free and more reliable.

Everything is in Russian, but i'm sure most browsers can translate the page into English. The only tricky part is the Captcha, since the letters are in Russian. One solution is to find a Russian guy (like me) or just someone who knows Russian. Or, you can try to recognize the letters yourself (you have to add a Russian keyboard first). 

*You don't need a phone and to live in Russia or Estonia to create an account.
** Don't forget to confirm your email address

Here is a table to make things easier for you. On the left you will see English letters, on the right its Russian analogy:

Q - Й
W - Ц
E - У
R - К
T - Е
Y - Ð
U - Г
I - Ш
O - Щ
P - З
A - Ф
S - Ы
D - Ð’
F - Ð
G - П
H - Р
J - О
K - Л
L - Д
Z -  Ð¯
X - Ч
C - С
V - М
B - И
N - Т
M - Ь

When you're ready, go to

again and click on "Добавить Счётчик" or "Add A Counter" if your browser has translated everything into English. 

Fill out all the information:

On page 1:

- The Name of your site
- URL
- Time zone
- Time out 

Agree to the Terms of Service and click Continue. On the next page make sure (this is important) to add a tick next to "Вебвизор" or "Vebvizor"

Then copy the tracking code and paste it in your website's header or footer, and click on "Save" or "Сохранить"

A good idea is to go to  "Фильтры" or "Filters" and tick the box next to "Do not count my visits"

Next you go back to

and click on the Counter that you've just added. Above, hover over  "Поведение" or "Behavior" and click on "Вебвизор" or "Vebvizor"

Once you had a visitor on your website, click on what looks like a "play" button and enjoy the show.

*Sorry for any grammar mistakes
Edited by trytolearnmore

Thank you for this experiment.

One suggestion: you can install 

. This will allow you to monitor what your visitors are doing (it works the same as WP Clicks).

Here is a small tutorial on how to use it (sorry for some mistakes):

If you want to see how your visitors behave on your website, then check out

. It is like Google Analytics, but only for Yandex - a Russian search engine. To understand how this baby works, check out this video (it is in Russian, but you only have to watch what's happening):

Basically, you can improve conversion rates on your website. It is like the plugin WP Clicks, only free and more reliable.

Everything is in Russian, but i'm sure most browsers can translate the page into English. The only tricky part is the Captcha, since the letters are in Russian. One solution is to find a Russian guy (like me) or just someone who knows Russian. Or, you can try to recognize the letters yourself (you have to add a Russian keyboard first). 

*You don't need a phone and to live in Russia or Estonia to create an account.
** Don't forget to confirm your email address

Here is a table to make things easier for you. On the left you will see English letters, on the right its Russian analogy:

Q - Й
W - Ц
E - У
R - К
T - Е
Y - Н
U - Г
I - Ш
O - Щ
P - З
A - Ф
S - Ы
D - Ð’
F - А
G - П
H - Р
J - О
K - Л
L - Д
Z -  Ð¯
X - Ч
C - С
V - М
B - И
N - Т
M - Ь

When you're ready, go to

again and click on "Добавить Счётчик" or "Add A Counter" if your browser has translated everything into English. 

Fill out all the information:

On page 1:

- The Name of your site
- URL
- Time zone
- Time out 

Agree to the Terms of Service and click Continue. On the next page make sure (this is important) to add a tick next to "Вебвизор" or "Vebvizor"

Then copy the tracking code and paste it in your website's header or footer, and click on "Save" or "Сохранить"

A good idea is to go to  "Фильтры" or "Filters" and tick the box next to "Do not count my visits"

Next you go back to

and click on the Counter that you've just added. Above, hover over  "Поведение" or "Behavior" and click on "Вебвизор" or "Vebvizor"

Once you had a visitor on your website, click on what looks like a "play" button and enjoy the show.

*Sorry for any grammar mistakes

Thanks, I will be running WP Clicks, Crazyegg, Google Analytics and probably Clicktale on the sales page so hopefully that's enough info!

Keep the suggestions coming though.

Have you thought of ebay as a source of traffic? Sell a cheap ebook as a way of getting contact details to pour into a funnel?

Hi S, I hadn't but if the other vehicles looked at in this experiment aren't performing, I'll certainly consider that.

As always, creating quality content is quite time/money consuming (e.g. for such an ebook).

Interesting traffic gen thread here! What about pad submissions - are they good for traffic also, besides back links!

Thanks Mex, has anybody here had success with traffic from PAD submissions?

I have used it plenty for SEO but not traffic.

Once you get everything set up maybe also try some deal-type marketing like groupon, local deals and such to give a huge discount but at least help with recognition and brand awareness.  Slickdeals is awesome too (slickdeals.net if you or anyone is unfortunate enough to have never heard of it :)  This site regularly can send enough traffic for a good deal to slow a site WAAAAY down...known by its users as the "Slickdeal Effect."

This may have already been said but I get some decent traffic from answering questions on yahoo answers.

Edited by Emulators

Great initiative, looking forward to the results, personally I don't have much faith in traffic from doc sharing sites, unless you really start to promote the pdf's with back links so that the traffic comes from organic results but please proof me wrong.

I'm sure you can get tons of traffic from Youtube though and forum marketing / posting is a very proven method to drive direct traffic.

By using the right press release sites, especially pr-log, you can rank quite instantly in Google so that should also be a good traffic generator but would be nice to see the comparison of effort/cost vs amount of visitors!