• Create Account

Hey Guest, Welcome to Traffic Planet!

Sign up today in order to gain access to a vast range of features including the ability to create new topics, send private messages, Facebook & Twitter integration and MUCH more!

• RSS Feed
  • My Big 2013 Live Google-Less Traffic Generation Experiment

• Please log in to reply
    145 replies to this topic

#1 TerryKyle

TerryKyle

Administrator

• Owner
    • posts 1,233

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:01 AM

nogoog.jpg

OK, it's a few years since I did that big 60-day live experiment on WF and it's time for a new one - a better one, one that ISN'T dependent on Google Organic traffic.

The plan is to run 'My Big 2013 Live Google-Less Traffic Generation Experiment' BOTH on SundaySEO (yes, ironic) AND this pinned Traffic Planet thread.

Here's the plan so far:

1. Over the next 3-4 months (possibly longer), I will test a bunch of different non-Google traffic generation methods (listed below) on a new website and new product (video training) in the DATING niche - I will create the product, site and traffic-generating (hopefully) content.

I will attempt to replicate starting a new online business from scratch without Google or SEO for Google/Yahoo/Bing.

At the end of the whole experiment, I'll reveal the site/product that I created and the individual pieces of content created for each traffic generation method.

The dating niche is one that I've always been interested in but have never actually been active in as an Internet Marketer.

2. I'll be working with an alias so as to not taint the traffic results from those interested in this experiment. The alias will also be revealed at the end of the experiment.

3. If any Google Organic traffic does come to the site, it will be entirely accidental and NO SEO work whatsoever will be done to game Google BUT I will try to optimize content for ranking WITHIN certain traffic platforms.

4. Initially, the main non-Google traffic generators tried will be (in no particular order):

[a] iTunes podcasts

[b] DocStoc (and possibly other document sharing sites)

[c] Press Releases

[d] Forum Marketing (dating/relationship forums)

[e] YouTube channel

If you would like to see other vehicles tried, please add a post here with that suggestion (questions too):

5. With each platform, I'll document the setup process with pictures for each and - using Google Analytics and tracking URLs - reveal traffic AND conversions from each platform.

Let's roll!

#2 abeg82

abeg82

• posts 34

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:36 AM

Great Terry, I'm going to watch this thread, real awesome

#3 aramyus

aramyus

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
    • posts 127

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:42 AM

I'd suggest to add facebook and/or twitter (or explain briefly why you discard them)

It would also be interesting that you discuss the indirect role of SE in getting your traffic.

For example, the global youtube traffic comes in majority from google.com (may be 90%) and not youtube (may be 10% including YT searches, people who bookmark videos or people who send video links to their friends). 

#4 TerryKyle

TerryKyle

Administrator

• Owner
    • posts 1,233

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:06 AM

I'd suggest to add facebook and/or twitter (or explain briefly why you discard them)

It would also be interesting that you discuss the indirect role of SE in getting your traffic.

For example, the global youtube traffic comes in majority from google.com (may be 90%) and not youtube (may be 10% including YT searches, people who bookmark videos or people who send video links to their friends). 

Thanks A.

I probably have a negative bias against Twitter (spam junk?) and on Facebook 'Organic', are people searching for solutions to problems? Media buying on FB though is a different story and using Brad Gosse's FB tactic of targeting by TV show could work e.g. targeting lovers of dating shows like 'Take Me Out' in the UK.

Anybody know the big dating/matchmaking TV shows in the US right now? (The target audience for my product is single males though).

Media buys on PlentyofFish could also be a good option as that site has a lot of traffic.Mixrank will also reveal a lot too - will share that when I get to that stage.

On the Google/YT issue, I'll use the YT Keyword Tool and see if I can 'rank' internally within there rather than having any reliance directly on Google Organic (One of the main points of this experiment). If my videos happen to rank in Google, it will be accidental.

By the way, the percentage of the population that is single is staggeringly high - will show some research stats on that soon. 

IMPORTANT: Also, if you happen to come across some of my traffic generating content for this experiment, please do not reveal it publicly as that will affect the integrity of this experiment.

#5 infocraze

infocraze

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
    • posts 198

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:15 AM

Great to see you back with a live experiment at a time when everyone seems to be desperate for a Google alternative. I hope you succeed in identifying multiple alternatives that deliver actual results. This should help a number of SEOers make better investment decisions.

30 PBN LINKS = $50 - Try Us Now!

Up to 200 Links Available, Contact Us!

#6 Bruce47

Bruce47

• posts 2
    • LocationBrisbane, Australia

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:40 AM

What a mad experiment. Sometimes made experiments work.

You better use Pinterest.

#7 Webrockers

Webrockers

• posts 62

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:58 PM

It would be a smart move Terry, we will wait for the results and the revelation of behind the screen story. Why not include Skype marketing in your marketing strategy?

#8 Backlinko

Backlinko

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
    • posts 171
    • LocationVagabond

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:48 PM

Sounds epic, Terry. I'll be following along here and at Sunday SEO.

---New Post: How to Rank #1 With a Single Infographic---
    Check out the step-by-step case study

#9 nicbos

nicbos

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
    • posts 339
    • LocationItaly

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:52 PM

Hiya Terry, that's great to see you again with an epic experiment.
    Thread subscribed and +REP given.

P.S. me too I would love to see Media Buys in the experiment, if you feel good about that

Cheers, Nic

#10 Backlinko

Backlinko

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
    • posts 171
    • LocationVagabond

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:57 PM

Anybody know the big dating/matchmaking TV shows in the US right now? (The target audience for my product is single males though).

It's not exactly a dating show, but MTV's "Friendzone" is huge right now. There are lots of "nice guys" out there...and they're the ones that have the most trouble getting dates.

---New Post: How to Rank #1 With a Single Infographic---
    Check out the step-by-step case study

#11 Matthew Anton

Matthew Anton

• posts 38

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:19 PM

hell yeah! Sounds like a worthy case study. Because the dating niche is notoriously difficult it might be helpful if you run the same exact set of criteria on multiple niches, at the same time. Yes it would have to be extremely epic, but would be easier to tell if you found a system vs what works in one specific niche. Either way kudos my good sir, and look forward to the results.

http://backlinksindexer.com - Index, Boost your links / http://high.prblogcomments.com - Pagerank Blog comments
    http://web2.0backlinks.com - Quality, Manual Web2.0 link building
    http://twitterbacklinks.com - Twitter retweets service

#12 davebaker

davebaker

• posts 1

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:45 PM

Would be great if you add Stumbleupon and pinterest.

Also, if you could test traffic coming from some suggestion engines such as outbrain.com it would also be great. 

#13 NewsBeat

NewsBeat

• posts 36
    • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 17 February 2013 - 03:36 PM

Gotta love ya  Terry - keeping a keen interest on this one ;)

Good luck mate.

// C

We do not sleep until our clients are page 1 on Google {FACT} | Cheap mobile websites | Amazon Kindle Offers (USA) |

#14 aramyus

aramyus

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
    • posts 127

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:17 PM

Also, if you could test traffic coming from some suggestion engines such as outbrain.com it would also be great. 

I support too the idea of outbrain. Never used it so far, but it looks very promissing

#15 IMQHelp

IMQHelp

• posts 74

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:15 PM

Good luck Terry! 

Other possible non-Google traffic generators: Yahoo groups, Article Directories(e.g. "Meeting Single Men" article on Ezinearticles was viewed  2,367 times) and Microblogging sites. I will add more as they come to my mind :)

#16 Mike608

Mike608

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
    • posts 120
    • LocationUSA

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:24 PM

Terry,

Will follow this with interest. I remember the excellent 60-day Live Experiment on WF quite well. A couple comments on this new experiment:

1.  Will the emphasis be mainly on bulk traffic or conversion?  
    2.  Will you provide info on bounce rate, pageviews per visit and time-on-site for each non-Goolge traffic generator?
    3.  As mentioned by others I would also like to see some form of social media component to the experiment - FB, Twitter, Pinterest, (Google+ ??); others?

At the end will you provide some info on KWs targeted and how rankings changed?  Maybe not the actual KWs but just use placeholders for each KW such as KW1, KW2, etc. and indicate a ranking range (1-3, 11-14, 51-55, etc.) over time and monthly exact searches per KW. It would be useful to see how the non-Google traffic generators end up influencing KW ranking.

Looking forward to following your work.

#17 webtrafficnoob

webtrafficnoob

• posts 25

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:34 PM

Should be fun to follow...

What about adding in pinterest?

Someday

#18 TerryKyle

TerryKyle

Administrator

• Owner
    • posts 1,233

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:51 PM

Great to see you back with a live experiment at a time when everyone seems to be desperate for a Google alternative. I hope you succeed in identifying multiple alternatives that deliver actual results. This should help a number of SEOers make better investment decisions.

Thanks IC and I have a few other traffic generators to try that weren't named above e.g. linkfromblog.com (haven't used them before), lists.nextmark.com (also not used them before) and solo ad buys.

Personally, my gut feeling is that nothing beats Forum Marketing in terms of bang-for-buck but that can be hard to scale.

#19 TerryKyle

TerryKyle

Administrator

• Owner
    • posts 1,233

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:54 PM

What a mad experiment. Sometimes made experiments work.

You better use Pinterest.

I'll look at that Bruce and thanks for your podcasting offer which I'll take you up on.

BTW, I was born on the Gold Coast, grew up for a while in Labrador there but haven' been back for a shockingly long time - miss the sunshine though!

#20 TerryKyle

TerryKyle

Administrator

• Owner
    • posts 1,233

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:00 PM

Hiya Terry, that's great to see you again with an epic experiment.
    Thread subscribed and +REP given.

P.S. me too I would love to see Media Buys in the experiment, if you feel good about that

Cheers, Nic

Thanks Nic and I will look at plentyoffish and solo ad buys - possibly some email blasts too with http://lists.nextmark.com/ (haven't tried them before).