SEO-Queen

Are niche review sites still worth it?

Hi everyone

It's an a bit of an old school approach I suppose but I am wondering whether building niche review sites to review Clickbank products then ranking them with SEO for the product name is still a profitable approach?

I don't expect to make a killing... i'd be happy with only $100 a month per site but I'm wondering whether even this is too much to expect? To rank these sites with SEO it would obviously cost more than $100 per site initially.

Some of the Clickbank product names don't seem to have all that much SEO competition and the review sites seem to be ones that haven't had alot of time spent on them.

I'm wondering if that is because this approach isn't really profitable and these products just don't convert well enough to bother or whether this is perhaps a result of Google's recent SEO shakeups and people probably have been holding off on their SEO?

Has anyone had any experience with this or have any advice to offer?

Hi everyone

It's an a bit of an old school approach I suppose but I am wondering whether building niche review sites to review Clickbank products then ranking them with SEO for the product name is still a profitable approach?

Yeah micro sites still work whether its for a clickbank product or amazon product.

I don't expect to make a killing... i'd be happy with only $100 a month per site but I'm wondering whether even this is too much to expect? To rank these sites with SEO it would obviously cost more than $100 per site initially.

You can do it for cheaper than that ^^

Some of the Clickbank product names don't seem to have all that much SEO competition and the review sites seem to be ones that haven't had alot of time spent on them.

Seems like the prime target for a take over, but what are the backlink profiles of these sites like?

I'm wondering if that is because this approach isn't really profitable and these products just don't convert well enough to bother or whether this is perhaps a result of Google's recent SEO shakeups and people probably have been holding off on their SEO?

What kind of traffic is available?

Well I don't want to give too much away as far as the niche goes and details except to say that I am looking at some products that have 2500 exact US searches (approx 5000 or more exact global searches) per keyword for the product name and SEO competition as far as backlinks that I am confident that I could beat.

I am just concerned as far as the conversions go.

The reason I ask is a couple of years back I was steadily ranked as Number 2 and even for a short time as Number 1 for the product Fat Loss 4 Idiots back when it was getting numbers like that and I was making around 1 maybe 2 sales a month. The site has tanked since Penguin but I hadn't done any maintenance on it for years so I wasn't suprised. I read a thread where Terry Kyle even stated that he couldn't make sales with this exact same product.

I would have thought that a weight loss product with a gravity of over 100 (it was the top selling weight loss product back then so its gravity then was well into the 200s or maybe even 300s) would have performed alot better. The review was not poorly written either and it had plenty of images and testimonials for the product etc.

Have others found it is pretty much the same story with Clickbank products and weight loss products and the internet at large has perhaps "wised up" that these types of products are usually not good value?

Conversions will be solid.

Small traffic can equate to steady sales; the quality and trustworthiness of your review(s) will actually be a key factor here. Tell, don't sell.

I would avoid reviewing the popular ***** that everyone is targeting. Go into more obscure niches. There's still a market, and the fruit is low-hanging.

-Chris

Well I don't want to give too much away as far as the niche goes and details except to say that I am looking at some products that have 2500 exact US searches (approx 5000 or more exact global searches) per keyword for the product name and SEO competition as far as backlinks that I am confident that I could beat.

I am just concerned as far as the conversions go.

The reason I ask is a couple of years back I was steadily ranked as Number 2 and even for a short time as Number 1 for the product Fat Loss 4 Idiots back when it was getting numbers like that and I was making around 1 maybe 2 sales a month. The site has tanked since Penguin but I hadn't done any maintenance on it for years so I wasn't suprised. I read a thread where Terry Kyle even stated that he couldn't make sales with this exact same product.

I would have thought that a weight loss product with a gravity of over 100 (it was the top selling weight loss product back then so its gravity then was well into the 200s or maybe even 300s) would have performed alot better. The review was not poorly written either and it had plenty of images and testimonials for the product etc.

Have others found it is pretty much the same story with Clickbank products and weight loss products and the internet at large has perhaps "wised up" that these types of products are usually not good value?

Perhaps your taking the wrong approach with your site.

When you get traffic from Google to your site for 'product A' in weight loss theres a number of things you can do-

write an informative article that gently promotes product A

write a blatant review just about product A

General intro, discuss/compare options which include product A (will convert better than last 2)

Capture email address

It seems you class a conversion as a sale, but really you want to capture their email then forward them to the affiliate offer on the form redirect.

Then sell them product z, product h and product g.

People searching for weight loss probably half low self esteem/confidence etc, you can sell them more than just weight loss products when you step back and think

Hi everyone

Just to throw a slightly different opinion in there, going after a CB product name is not the most efficient use for your effort. Most of the searches for those product names are affiliates looking for reviews to clone, not real buyers. 99% of CB products don't have the gravitas and brand recognition of regular real brand names.

I would instead go after some lower hanging fruit - buying keywords in that niche that those products are trying to sell to. I honestly believe you will have more success.

Thanks for the input.

I really wondered what I was doing wrong there.

So I guess the lesson is.... target low hanging fruit keywords in the weight loss niche>offer them a free ebook with useful info to get them to opt in to your list> then send review emails for multiple products sprinkled in amongst informative info about weight loss.

Is this how most people with successful lists build them?

I had read a post on Warrior Forum saying "search traffic was junk traffic" but have others had success with conversions by taking the approach above to list building?

Another reason I am scared when it comes to list building is I have heard that only 50% of people open your first email, then only 30% open the 2nd email and it drops off from there.

Is that a typical experience? If so how to people manage to make sales from their list?

Another reason I am scared when it comes to list building is I have heard that only 50% of people open your first email, then only 30% open the 2nd email and it drops off from there.

Is that a typical experience? If so how to people manage to make sales from their list?

It really depends on what kinds of emails you are sending out. I have a few lists that I have been receiving for a long time and then I have a lot of them that I end up cancelling after a few emails.

You have to give enough good information so that the people receiving the emails will keep opening them up and reading them. If every email is you pushing the latest WSO then yes the drop off rate is going to be pretty high.

I am sure that you are on at least a few lists (if not sign up for a few) so you should think about what makes you read those emails and conversely what makes you cancel or ignore them.

Yeah, that seems accurate. So? That's still sales from repeat customers you wouldn't have gotten anyways? Those who drop off the list... so? Let them go. You can't manipulate them into buying from you. But the ones who stay, you can build a real relationship with and keep them as customers for life, as long as you provide value. I wouldn't build a list for some off the wall micro niche site, but if you have a real business or authority site, if you aren't building a site, you are seriously leaving a large chunk of money out there for someone else to grab.

This is largely down to how you manage your list. I find that most IM lists spam you with all sorts of rubbish over and over again.

It really depends on what kinds of emails you are sending out. I have a few lists that I have been receiving for a long time and then I have a lot of them that I end up cancelling after a few emails.

You have to give enough good information so that the people receiving the emails will keep opening them up and reading them. If every email is you pushing the latest WSO then yes the drop off rate is going to be pretty high.

I am sure that you are on at least a few lists (if not sign up for a few) so you should think about what makes you read those emails and conversely what makes you cancel or ignore them.

The list I'm collecting on my site is purely used to send out notifications of new content on the blog and nothing else. What I'm hoping to achieve is that users subscribe because of the quality of the content which guarantees they will open the next e-mail from me, as long as that e-mail is always more quality content then I should see a pretty high open rate.

You can see the kind of stuff I send out here

Please login or register to see this link.

nothing fancy just straight to the point.

This is largely down to how you manage your list. I find that most IM lists spam you with all sorts of rubbish over and over again.

The list I'm collecting on my site is purely used to send out notifications of new content on the blog and nothing else. What I'm hoping to achieve is that users subscribe because of the quality of the content which guarantees they will open the next e-mail from me, as long as that e-mail is always more quality content then I should see a pretty high open rate.

You can see the kind of stuff I send out here

Please login or register to see this link.

nothing fancy just straight to the point.

While I do not mind some selling the information to selling ratio has to be fairly high or I cancel, I just get too many emails everyday to stay on a list that is doing nothing more than pushing products.

Another thing that causes me to cancel is misleading subjects, I am not sure who decided that it was a good marketing tool but I am going to assume there was a WSO on it a few months back because it seems that I get a lot more of those than I used to. While it may get more openings I know in my case that opening leads me to drop off the list right then and there.

so what, if your list is 100.000 names big you get 50.000 to open it, than 30.000 etc.. its a numbers game,

so what, if your list is 100.000 names big you get 50.000 to open it, than 30.000 etc.. its a numbers game,

Except that if your emails suck you are not going to keep your list at anywhere near 100k as it will shrink right along with your open rates.

Just to throw a slightly different opinion in there, going after a CB product name is not the most efficient use for your effort. Most of the searches for those product names are affiliates looking for reviews to clone, not real buyers. 99% of CB products don't have the gravitas and brand recognition of regular real brand names.

I would instead go after some lower hanging fruit - buying keywords in that niche that those products are trying to sell to. I honestly believe you will have more success.

This is a really good point. To caveat this (especially when it comes to Clickbank products), they aren't likely to get TV exposure or some other outside form of press driving traffic online for the brand/product term. People are likely searching for the brand term after being introduced to the product by another affiliate. You could be running into several scenarios where maybe a customer clicked on another affiliate's link previously, and is coming back to check into the product again, or maybe the other affiliate cookie stuffed their page. Either way, if the searchers haven't cleared cookies, their tracking may be trumping yours, so there's a chance the product is converting, you're just not getting the credit.

I've typically found targeting niche related terms involving a root problem or issue that the product will solve to be a better fit for Clickbank products.

Edited by Logan Sargent

Another way is to have a genral site about a particular niche and then have dedicated posts /pages for each product -- ON page SEO will help you get the juice you want...

To answer the first post - It seems a good idea to build affiliate sites -- it will never get old - as long as your site ranks for the Money keywords you will always make sales..

Honestly, when I see niche review sites come up, there are two things that come to mind.

1) This site was made just to make sales and push a product, and offer no valuable information to the visitor. (90% of all review sites, sadly).

2) This person seems like someone who provides excellent information/service, and created this site to help offer valuable information to the visitor, and then 'suggest' a product/service after.

Be genuine, honest, and offer something that is truly helpful to your visitors, and review sites will convert beautifully.