Matthew Anton

Squidoo Lense Earnings Case Study (Month 3: 553 lenses) - Making Money with Squidoo

Squidoo lenses have lot of authority and good luck with your venture. But if i were u, i wont make thousands of lenses using same account.

Dont keep all ur eggs in 1 Squidoo Basket :D

This has been my sentiment since day one. The exact reason why I only put up a single lens per acct I create. It's obviously not be the ideal scenario (or even feasible) for someone who is churning out bulk lens creation, but for my approach, it ensures I don't lose everything in one foul swoop. 

This has been my sentiment since day one. The exact reason why I only put up a single lens per acct I create. It's obviously not be the ideal scenario (or even feasible) for someone who is churning out bulk lens creation, but for my approach, it ensures I don't lose everything in one foul swoop. 

One lens per account? That's a smart way to limit your risk, but do you have any concerns about that approach "raising eyebrows" internally? Even though you're creating a high-quality content lens, by your own admission (somewhere on this forum), you're limiting Squidoo's potential to earn ad revenue in favor of your own affiliate links. Don't get me wrong Logan, I like the way you think re: monetizing Squidoo ... I'm just wondering whether the strategy leaves any footprints.

My strategy is still developing, but I don't see myself having 100's of lenses in any account. For my main account (which I recently started creating lenses for again), my goal is to limit the number of lenses to 25. In pursuing that goal, I plan to  use my other profiles to group lenses by niche.  

One lens per account? That's a smart way to limit your risk, but do you have any concerns about that approach "raising eyebrows" internally? Even though you're creating a high-quality content lens, by your own admission (somewhere on this forum), you're limiting Squidoo's potential to earn ad revenue in favor of your own affiliate links. Don't get me wrong Logan, I like the way you think re: monetizing Squidoo ... I'm just wondering whether the strategy leaves any footprints.

My strategy is still developing, but I don't see myself having 100's of lenses in any account. For my main account (which I recently started creating lenses for again), my goal is to limit the number of lenses to 25. In pursuing that goal, I plan to  use my other profiles to group lenses by niche.  

Well let's put it this way, I only put one lens on an acct I actually care about that I'm trying to rank and profit from. I have considered your concern, and on some accts, I've had people just write informational articles (no more than 4 or 5), and just throw those in the acct with some Amazon modules.

They are much thinner lenses that I spend no more time than it takes to plug in the content, add enough modules to be able to publish, and then I'm done with it. This should help reduce your footprint by having some "traditional looking" lenses present.

If you want to take it a step further, you can even use transparent proxies to work behind when setting up and publishing/updating lenses. I had one of my customers get too aggressive with blasting links at lenses, across multiple accts, and they banned all his accts generated from his ip address.

Thanks for sharing your story, lately someone suggested me to do Youtube video's to drive traffic, but when I do something I take the massive approach with outsourcing a ton of stuff and having 100's of video's online in no time. Do I like that? Not at all as Youtube can ban just as easily as Squidoo and that would be quite an amount of money on outsourced video's, back links, perhaps even fake views, comments, thumbs up and what not.

I sure hope you did back up the content that you used at Squidoo so that you can repurpose it on sites that you own yourself! Just categorize it and build some authority sites I would say.

Really don't understand only 85$ for 554 lens. They must have been bad. Here's some statistics from a lens maker I follow who has 229 lens. Can't give the name but they are making well over $2000 per month.

They build 3-5 lens per week mornings only 5 days a week. This is what can be achieved after one year working mornings.

february-squidoo-2013.jpg

The only thing that concerns me is that Squidoo could shut down and you'd be assed out. I knew a guy online who was doing this with Hubpages and they got rid of their payouts and he was suddenly screwed.

thats how parasites work.

As recently as 2011 you would see Squidoo lenses on page one for moderately competitive terms. Though if the quality is high enough, I still see them as decent link value.

The lenses don't have to be huge, and they are not that "ban happy" unless its obviously copied content or too commercial.

If you have just created a video for your own site, maybe done a trending image, then adding 500 words and doing a Lens is a decent way to get a high quality link

Not saying I'd rely on it per se, but as something to mix into the pot, it seems pretty decent to me.

Scritty

As recently as 2011 you would see Squidoo lenses on page one for moderately competitive terms. Though if the quality is high enough, I still see them as decent link value.

The lenses don't have to be huge, and they are not that "ban happy" unless its obviously copied content or too commercial.

If you have just created a video for your own site, maybe done a trending image, then adding 500 words and doing a Lens is a decent way to get a high quality link

Not saying I'd rely on it per se, but as something to mix into the pot, it seems pretty decent to me.

Scritty

You obviously are not aware of the changes Squidoo has made in the past months.

I remember ranking squidoo lenses a couple of years ago... something you could probably never do nowadays. Sites like squidoo and hubpages, even ezinearticles were really strong. It's a completely different game now. Everywhere I turn, I see webmd.com, wikihow.com, about.com :) but there's still plenty of money out there for all of us.

I do hope that you backed up the content. 554 articles is a lot of content that can help you with creating a blog and monetizing it. Don't get me wrong. Posting lots of content on a blog won't automatically ,make you money. But if the content is good and you drive quality content to your blog, I don't see a reason why you can't make a handsome amount off the same content.