Matthew Anton

Squidoo Lense Earnings Case Study (Month 3: 553 lenses) - Making Money with Squidoo

Hello Fellow Webmasters / TrafficPlanet members!

Whenver I get tired or bored of IM I remember all the awesome random tests done by Terry Kyle and others on this forum that have proven they can turn lemons into lemonade with some incredible ingenuity....not sure if it's easier to put this all in one thread if I continue to post or make new ones as reading through 7 pages to get to each section might be a pain. Nevertheless here we are in month 3 of this case study, and earnings for the month are UP to

$85, not bad if it continues to climb, somewhat passively. I'm sure at some point we will plateau, or perhaps falter, but until then it's still a fun ride up.

Be sure to full screen and HD it, otherwise it's impossible to view.

Blogpost with images:

Please login or register to see this link.

Month 3, 553 lenses (might actually be 554, doh!). You can see by the video / images on blog post that people buy random things on Amazon, as long as you can get in between them and a purchase you're golden. Again, Logan Sargent has proved you can make a ton of $$$ with Squidoo. You either take the bulk approach, or do some serious lense creation / promotion.

Typically I pick a mundane topic that has a physical product somewhat associated with it, if not directly and go for a general term for it. My rationale is if someone took the time to research and develop something in the real worlds! (internet is still fake?) then there is most likely a market there - otherwise someone lost millions and not 20mins on a Squidoo Lense, but I also have been using a keyword tool lately and I'll see if that has any (positive) impact on picking winners and earnings.

That's a massive amount of work you are doing! Great job there man.

The only thing that concerns me is that Squidoo could shut down and you'd be assed out. I knew a guy online who was doing this with Hubpages and they got rid of their payouts and he was suddenly screwed.

Well done. You are obviously very committed to come up with that many Squidoo lenses.

But there is just one thing that sticks in my mind.... just how much work you are doing for so little return ...$85 A MONTH! For the number of hours you would have to be working to complete all these lenses you would be better off working a second job at a doughnut shop :( I guess if you really enjoy creating Squidoo lenses and you are doing it for fun then it is a nice bonus but it is just too much work for so little return? And Squidoo could pull the plug at any time as said above...

hi

Yeah, it certainly is a real possibility. I'm doing this mostly for testing purposes and something I thought was worth doing since so many webmasters struggle to make $100 each month. I think the real take away here is "piggy backing" off other successful platforms is a great way to get started in Internet Marketing, versus trying to go against the flow.

hi

Yes, the return is very low, but if it remains passive then it will be worth it if it continues for 2 years. I make the majority of my income from other offline / online ventures so no worries :). My logic is that the owners of Squidoo want to remain at the top and unless an Ezinearticles armageddon hits, I should be okay. I'm also staying within the TOS but like you said, since it's their backyard they decide if my account lives or dies, which is definetly a worry if I didn't treat this as a side project.

Sidenote: There is a 5000 Squidoo Lense badge creation...kinda want to get that, but that is going to require some serious effort and hope the Squidoo Gods don't get upset and start flailing around ban hammers for no reason.

^ I can't see them getting upset, as long as your content is reasonable and you aren't sending zillions of backlinks at your lenses.

What you could eventually do, even if they stop paying you, is to create a website of your own and go back and insert links to your own site to leech some of that authority. There are always exist strategies. You could even remove the content and sell it, or use it for your own sites afterwards. Tons of options. GO GO GO!

Very cool to see your numbers are up, and a decent jump from last month if I recall. Have you chiseled out which lenses are drawing the profit to reinvest your revenue for more promotion on those specific lenses? If there is a benefit to mass producing lenses (as long as you can keep your overhead down in the process), is you can cast a wide net, and see what lenses will stick and start turning a profit with no backlink or promotion at all. Then you know you can throttle those up with probably little effort if they are ranking well already and see a stronger ROI.

I think I'm going to get more involved with my analytics with lenses and start trying to set goals to track at minimum which incoming searches are generating clickouts on my affiliate links (which honestly I've neglected thus far). I'd love to be able to trace the actual sales produced from incoming phrases, but not sure how possible that is since you lose some control working on a platform you don't have full control over.

Edited by Logan Sargent

hi

Yeah, there are certainly ways to be more innovative with monetization or using the content. Think those are great points/backup plans that you mentioned.

hi Logan,

Yes, I noticed that many of the lenses were going unfeatured so I started doing more link building and social signals to them to generate more buzz. I think it's a better idea to focus on a couple like you have been doing, or at least reinvest the money on the true winners, as the same couple seem to be doing well each month, whereas some do not. I'll reinvest money in promoting them all and we'll see how it goes in the near future.

$85 for 550 lens is way too low. Most people wouldn't have the patience to continue doing what you are if they were in your place. But, if you are happy with your efforts then there is no problem.

Are you doing any SEO or backlinking to your lens? Are you targeting any keywords with your lens?

What is really appreciable is that you seem to have a lot of patience and consistency which is lacking in many people. These are really excellent qualities which you are blessed with.

Edited by anwar001

It is not low, it is a bit under average but still acceptable. I have about 300 lenses and i earn about $200 a month. It is because i spent some efforts working on the ranking of these lenses and so on. The good thing is that this is passive income so i do not have to worry too much about it.

Thanks guys. Squidoo banned me. I honestly think it's an over hyped platform and the lack of indexed pages makes it a Ponzi scheme where your content eventually falls off the radar and goes "red" aka not in the system and told to search engines to not stay indexed.

A lot of posts on Warrior Forum recently about people suddenly being banned fron Squidoo and all their lenses deleted meaning they lost all their income over night, not really that unexpected though surely? They were never going to allow you to use them as your platform for internet marketing forever.

None of them seem to learn their lesson though, they all start asking if they can just change to Hubpages and continue doing the same when clearly the time, effort and money would be better spent on building their own properties that no one can delete.

Finding out potential longtails for each of your squidoo lenses is where the next step lies, imho if you do this meticulously then you should be able to multiple that hundo by many factors 

Probably a good idea to get a sape network account when backlinking them and use the pr0 -pr1 option so you can get massive amounts of backlinks cheaply  for your longtails

Account got banned :(. But yes, we backlinked using ABC3k since it gave us a lot of backlinks across a wide variety of IPs, themes, etc for a low price.

We just went after the main phrases and the long tail was naturally happening. I would have focused on them more but with so many lenses it was easiest to set onpage Squidoo such as tags and go after the main phrase; fast forward to today, we know you have to spread out anchor text.

Did you get a ban reason? Is it something you could resolve with squidoo? I just can not see them banning you for building backlinks, If that was the case,

how would they know? If it was that easy, then I could target anyone lenses I would like to take out, and start building mass backlinks to them. You are

helping them promote their network by building backlinks, why would they ban you for that? What is their TOS about posting earnings on the internet?

Did you trash out your 500+ lenses with lots of links?  You do not appear to be all that upset about losing 500+ lenses; I would have to think, that deep

down, you know why you got banned. Some companies frown on earning reports being posted for obvious reasons; however, I am not sure about

squidoo's policy on this, but it is just not squdioo, how does amazon feel about it, ebay, etc...what are their policies on posting reports online?

I can not help but to think also, you had 500+ lens and only earned $80/mo - Did you use duplicate content. Did you use quality content

compared to just rambling some words together to create mass lenses? I have heard of people making $100's per month just on one single

lens, and you had well over 500, maybe your content just did not stand up to their quality standards of what they consider quality content....

Was you artificially inflating your stats by using those services found on fiverr ie squidliking, etc...stuff like this can get you banned also....

The reason I ask all this is because, why would anyone want to get into squidoo with the fears of being shut down one day....

Why would I want to invest more into squidoo with the thought what I have can be shutdown with just a click of a button.....

This sorta reminds me of Google Adsense, you twitch, and your account is gone forever...

rather work with you to resolve any issues, they just cast you out, and your done....

I also recall someone mentioning "have multiple accounts"  how will this help? You do not think squidoo

knows IP's - You dont think squidoo already knows that your IP will lead to other accounts also? It is not

against their TOS to have multiple accounts, but it is likely if you are doing something wrong on one account,

then, why would you not be doing something wrong on multiple accounts? good reason for squidoo to check them all....

Account got banned :(. But yes, we backlinked using ABC3k since it gave us a lot of backlinks across a wide variety of IPs, themes, etc for a low price.

We just went after the main phrases and the long tail was naturally happening. I would have focused on them more but with so many lenses it was easiest to set onpage Squidoo such as tags and go after the main phrase; fast forward to today, we know you have to spread out anchor text.

Edited by dsimms

Sorry for not explaining the ban, but that sure was a lot of assumptions :). I explained it on other mediums: forums, video but I will do so here

ABC3k was NOT the reason for the ban, nor was any link building. We were actually ranking very well in Google from using this system.

The reason they cited was unatural "likes" not links. This means people that were following the case study were liking my lenses, and I also got Squidoo bombed by someone that mass liked one of the lenses. I tried to petition it multiple times, but they never responded. So basically if you want to do negative SEO on someone, get a VPN and 30 accounts and go have some fun :P

This happened 8 months ago? So yes, I'm not sulking in a corner over this. It was a calculated risk, and all signs have shown me that Squidoo is not the best use of your time, and may actually be a waste of time. It's a ponzi scheme where the old, established lenses remain indexed, and the newer ones fall by the wayside. Last in, first out as the saying goes in business.

Yes, they were making me nearly $100 passively, but I've lost over 100k over the years in bad calculated risks, but have also gained much more. I was tired of hearing the hype of Squidoo and wanted to grow it out for myself (took action!). If you want some advice, forget about Squidoo for making $$, at least serious money, and focus on your own websites and other top tier sites that don't deindex your stuff so quickly (youtube, press releases, etc). Squidoo has less than a million pages indexed (site:squidoo.com). I'm running websites with more pages indexed, so that should be a red flag. How many lenses do you think people have created? Over 5 million I would guess, and they aren't doing those people any good at all. You'll have your day in the sun with them but a few months in, the scam that is Squidoo starts to unravel and you realize what a joke it is (at least for making $$). On the other hand, I love the platform from a user standpoint, and it's very easy to use.

There will still be those claiming they are making insane $$ on there, but it's not scalable and it's most likely a lense they created, put a ton of time in and backlinked, which represents a lot of risk if it doesn't pan out.

so you got one or a few lenses bombed, and they felt it was right to ban everything?

its not all their fault, google is out to devalue the internet as we know it, so google has

deranked a lot of sites; squidoo is no exception, so they are probably uptight about it also....

Squidoo makes no attempt to help you, so they ban everything you have...

That does not help squidoo by giving them a good reputation, but google adsense

does the same exact thing, they do not seem to care either....

If you ask me, google is the biggest ponzi scheme out there.

Sorry for not explaining the ban, but that sure was a lot of assumptions :). I explained it on other mediums: forums, video but I will do so here

ABC3k was NOT the reason for the ban, nor was any link building. We were actually ranking very well in Google from using this system.

The reason they cited was unatural "likes" not links. This means people that were following the case study were liking my lenses, and I also got Squidoo bombed by someone that mass liked one of the lenses. I tried to petition it multiple times, but they never responded. So basically if you want to do negative SEO on someone, get a VPN and 30 accounts and go have some fun :P

This happened 8 months ago? So yes, I'm not sulking in a corner over this. It was a calculated risk, and all signs have shown me that Squidoo is not the best use of your time, and may actually be a waste of time. It's a ponzi scheme where the old, established lenses remain indexed, and the newer ones fall by the wayside. Last in, first out as the saying goes in business.

Yes, they were making me nearly $100 passively, but I've lost over 100k over the years in bad calculated risks, but have also gained much more. I was tired of hearing the hype of Squidoo and wanted to grow it out for myself (took action!). If you want some advice, forget about Squidoo for making $$, at least serious money, and focus on your own websites and other top tier sites that don't deindex your stuff so quickly (youtube, press releases, etc). Squidoo has less than a million pages indexed (site:squidoo.com). I'm running websites with more pages indexed, so that should be a red flag. How many lenses do you think people have created? Over 5 million I would guess, and they aren't doing those people any good at all. You'll have your day in the sun with them but a few months in, the scam that is Squidoo starts to unravel and you realize what a joke it is (at least for making $$). On the other hand, I love the platform from a user standpoint, and it's very easy to use.

There will still be those claiming they are making insane $$ on there, but it's not scalable and it's most likely a lense they created, put a ton of time in and backlinked, which represents a lot of risk if it doesn't pan out.

Edited by dsimms

so you got one or a few lenses bombed, and they felt it was right to ban everything?

its not all their fault, google is out to devalue the internet as we know it, so google has

deranked a lot of site; squidoo is no exception, so they are probably uptight about it also....

Squidoo makes no attempt to help you, so they ban everything you have...

That does not help squidoo by giving them a good reputation, but google adsense

does the same exact thing, they do not seem to care either....

If you ask me, google is the biggest ponzi scheme out there.

Now I am  not going to argue whether Google is good or bad  but exactly how are they a ponzi scheme? Nothing I have seen Google do even remotely resembles a ponzi scheme.

yup, not sure I agree with that for big G either :P . P.S. this thread reminds me to troll Terry Kyle some more since he got me interested in large case studies. I have something I'm working on now that's pretty epic but it's insanely time consuming

as long as squidoo is working out for people, then they are great, when it turned bad, then all of a sudden squidoo was a ponzi scheme...

as long as google is working out to some in their favor, then all is good, but once you get dumped by google, then they are a ponzi scheme....

google pretty much owns and controls the internet, all in all, there is only one basket you can put your eggs in...GOOGLE....

google is only as good is people keep using them, why do you think google has billions and everyone else does not, ie: ponzi scheme....

and if you ever read any news about google, then you will quickly realize that google is not the most moral company out there....

Squidoo is not the only one where people make money, people were making money on google, until google took them out....

Once you loose your entire living online, then you will realize how much of a ponzi scheme the entire system is....

Did you think you were in conrol of the internet? You may control your own site, but google controls your future....

Life is a ponzi scheme, if you loose your high paying job, everything around you crashes....

(unless you are just that rich)

and if you do not think any of this is a ponzi, then you probably do not think

our us economy is a ponzi scheme either, right?

Now I am  not going to argue whether Google is good or bad  but exactly how are they a ponzi scheme? Nothing I have seen Google do even remotely resembles a ponzi scheme.

Edited by dsimms

as long as squidoo is working out for people, then they are great, when it turned bad, then all of a sudden squidoo was a ponzi scheme...

as long as google is working out to some in their favor, then all is good, but once you get dumped by google, then they are a ponzi scheme....

google pretty much owns and controls the internet, all in all, there is only one basket you can put your eggs in...GOOGLE....

google is only as good is people keep using them, why do you think google has billions and everyone else does not, ie: ponzi scheme....

and if you ever read any news about google, then you will quickly realize that google is not the most moral company out there....

Squidoo is not the only one where people make money, people were making money on google, until google took them out....

Once you loose your entire living online, then you will realize how much of a ponzi scheme the entire system is....

Did you think you were in conrol of the internet? You may control your own site, but google controls your future....

Life is a ponzi scheme, if you loose your high paying job, everything around you crashes....

(unless you are just that rich)

You might want to look up the definition of a ponzi scheme.  It has a very specific meaning and while the things you describing might suck none of them are ponzi schemes.

Another point you might want to think about as well. Google does not control the internet. There are many places to get traffic and business that have nothing to do with Google. The only reason Google can control your online future is because you have decided to let them.