domino124

How to deal with new customers who order content from you

This is more of a tip than a discussion but it is one I now use very effectively.

Every one who writes articles will probably at some time have been not paid for articles written.

It has happened to me so now I use this small but effective way to ensure a customer is genuine.

If a customer orders a set of articles say 10 but says they will pay on completion, I will write the articles but copy them into a text box in paint.

Then I save them as a JPG which I send to the customer for approval.

Then I say to the customer that if the articles are satisfactory when I have received payment I will release the original files.

If the customer is genuine they will accept my point of view.

If they had intended to run off without paying then the net result is that you have 10 articles that you can sell on to somebody else.

I hope this tip saves people from being conned in the future.

This is more of a tip than a discussion but it is one I now use very effectively.

Every one who writes articles will probably at some time have been not paid for articles written.

It has happened to me so now I use this small but effective way to ensure a customer is genuine.

If a customer orders a set of articles say 10 but says they will pay on completion, I will write the articles but copy them into a text box in paint.

Then I save them as a JPG which I send to the customer for approval.

Then I say to the customer that if the articles are satisfactory when I have received payment I will release the original files.

If the customer is genuine they will accept my point of view.

If they had intended to run off without paying then the net result is that you have 10 articles that you can sell on to somebody else.

I hope this tip saves people from being conned in the future.

Why do you not collect payment upfront? Collecting all the payment after the fact is just asking to get ripped off.

In most cases I do but there are some customers who refuse point blank to pay up front. Which I now leave alone.

I am thinking that this is advice for people who are just beginning a writing career on the web.

I know there is plenty of Information out there, but I have not seen this tip so I thought I would share it.

It would be best to have them pay first if they are new, even if it is for a single article to test the waters. This is normal and all established online marketers never want to have the articles written prior to payment. But the few that may do, you may be better off without them. Just saves you the hassle of increasing your workload.

But your tip is good for new writers who are at the beginning of their writing career.

Iv never written any content without getting paid up front. Even when I was brand new. I wrote a few samples that I showed to clients who were concerned about quality. As infocraze said, most IMers new as well as old, know that upfront payment is required for pretty much anything. not just content. If they insist on later payment, they're not worth spending energy on honestly. Writing before getting paid will most likely not end well.

Asim

Always charge them upfront otherwise you will be ripped off.

Also have a privacy policy and Revisions and Refunds Policies.

So you can refer your customers to them before they order something from your website.

Edited by Jonathan Branson

I agree with others.

even though i have been ripped off my content providers with shotty articles before I still aceept that its the norm to make a payment first before i recieve the work done

Few things

1) If you have already developed a relationship with the client – ask them 100% upfront

2) If the client is new – Work in batch payments – Again upfront

3) Take 50% upfront if the client does not agree to the above two points

If you are reluctant – Let the client go

Been through those things but I learned from it, most especially in trusting the clients payments from my hard worked writing jobs. Whenever I do accept contracts/jobs online, I would let them guarantee first that they should pay half of my full pay, in order for me to trust them well that they'll pay me back the other half whenever it's fully done. It's case to case basis though because not all clients are not trustworthy. Just continue what you are doing and everything will be surely paid off.