• Create Account

Hey Guest, Welcome to Traffic Planet!

Sign up today in order to gain access to a vast range of features including the ability to create new topics, send private messages, Facebook & Twitter integration and MUCH more!

• RSS Feed
  • How to deal with new customers who order content from you

• Please log in to reply
    9 replies to this topic

#1 domino124

domino124

• posts 10
    • LocationBritish living in the Philippines

Posted 13 July 2012 - 11:17 AM

This is more of a tip than a discussion but it is one I now use very effectively.

Every one who writes articles will probably at some time have been not paid for articles written.
    It has happened to me so now I use this small but effective way to ensure a customer is genuine.
    If a customer orders a set of articles say 10 but says they will pay on completion, I will write the articles but copy them into a text box in paint.
    Then I save them as a JPG which I send to the customer for approval.
    Then I say to the customer that if the articles are satisfactory when I have received payment I will release the original files.
    If the customer is genuine they will accept my point of view.
    If they had intended to run off without paying then the net result is that you have 10 articles that you can sell on to somebody else.

I hope this tip saves people from being conned in the future.

#2 _Richard

_Richard

Forum Moderator

• Forum Support
    • posts 6,237
    • LocationNW Arkansas

Posted 13 July 2012 - 11:57 AM

This is more of a tip than a discussion but it is one I now use very effectively.

Every one who writes articles will probably at some time have been not paid for articles written.
    It has happened to me so now I use this small but effective way to ensure a customer is genuine.
    If a customer orders a set of articles say 10 but says they will pay on completion, I will write the articles but copy them into a text box in paint.
    Then I save them as a JPG which I send to the customer for approval.
    Then I say to the customer that if the articles are satisfactory when I have received payment I will release the original files.
    If the customer is genuine they will accept my point of view.
    If they had intended to run off without paying then the net result is that you have 10 articles that you can sell on to somebody else.

I hope this tip saves people from being conned in the future.

Why do you not collect payment upfront? Collecting all the payment after the fact is just asking to get ripped off.

Sometimes I have a link in my signature to a product. If I do assume it is an affiliate link and I might make a couple of bucks off it...................................

#3 domino124

domino124

• posts 10
    • LocationBritish living in the Philippines

Posted 13 July 2012 - 12:40 PM

In most cases I do but there are some customers who refuse point blank to pay up front. Which I now leave alone.
    I am thinking that this is advice for people who are just beginning a writing career on the web.
    I know there is plenty of Information out there, but I have not seen this tip so I thought I would share it.

#4 Dave @ Searchnetics.com

Dave @ Searchnetics.com

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
    • posts 482
    • LocationMiami, FL

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:53 PM

Well in that case here's my tip. If their intention is to rip you off - they still will, provided they are knowledgeable:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=free+online+ocr

Edited by Dave, 13 July 2012 - 02:53 PM.

Check out my latest blog post...

>> 55 SNEAKY PBN Footprints That You're Missing Right Now! <<

#5 infocraze

infocraze

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
    • posts 198

Posted 13 July 2012 - 04:41 PM

It would be best to have them pay first if they are new, even if it is for a single article to test the waters. This is normal and all established online marketers never want to have the articles written prior to payment. But the few that may do, you may be better off without them. Just saves you the hassle of increasing your workload.

But your tip is good for new writers who are at the beginning of their writing career.

30 PBN LINKS = $50 - Try Us Now!

Up to 200 Links Available, Contact Us!

#6 asimbawany

asimbawany

• posts 29
    • LocationKarachi

Posted 02 August 2012 - 11:09 PM

Iv never written any content without getting paid up front. Even when I was brand new. I wrote a few samples that I showed to clients who were concerned about quality. As infocraze said, most IMers new as well as old, know that upfront payment is required for pretty much anything. not just content. If they insist on later payment, they're not worth spending energy on honestly. Writing before getting paid will most likely not end well.

Asim

#7 Jonathan Branson

Jonathan Branson

• posts 58

Posted 05 August 2012 - 10:12 AM

Always charge them upfront otherwise you will be ripped off.
    Also have a privacy policy and Revisions and Refunds Policies.
    So you can refer your customers to them before they order something from your website.

Edited by Jonathan Branson, 05 August 2012 - 10:12 AM.

#8 raven

raven

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
    • posts 185

Posted 05 August 2012 - 04:45 PM

I agree with others.
    even though i have been ripped off my content providers with shotty articles before I still aceept that its the norm to make a payment first before i recieve the work done

#9 anuj291

anuj291

• posts 83

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:39 AM

Few things

1) If you have already developed a relationship with the client – ask them 100% upfront
    2) If the client is new – Work in batch payments – Again upfront
    3) Take 50% upfront if the client does not agree to the above two points

If you are reluctant – Let the client go

#10 michknight

michknight

• posts 1

Posted 26 November 2015 - 07:10 AM

Been through those things but I learned from it, most especially in trusting the clients payments from my hard worked writing jobs. Whenever I do accept contracts/jobs online, I would let them guarantee first that they should pay half of my full pay, in order for me to trust them well that they'll pay me back the other half whenever it's fully done. It's case to case basis though because not all clients are not trustworthy. Just continue what you are doing and everything will be surely paid off.