yougotmymoney

Do Follow vs No Follow Wiki's

It's seem MediaWiki links are the new forum profiles/mass blog comments craze for 2012. I use SickSubmitter for article links/wiki's, and there are about 2-3 do follow wiki platforms, that are sold as part of one of the most popular wiki packets on their forum. Has anyone tested the effectiveness of 9k no follow wikis vs let's say 100 do follow wiki's?

We do HIgh PR no-follow wikis and have about 200 df wikis with no PR on them. Combining both are great but you do get good bump just using the DF wikis for local kw's IMO. There are not too many df's out there so they are rare and great for diversity.

It is totally dependent on you sites existing profile. There is no right or wrong answer here The page intent and domain authority is more relevant now i think

Mansoor

I was offering a service related to this, but I've stopped a few months ago. If the wikis haven't lost their value they will soon have. Every week there's a new wiki bot released so it's a matter of time until google catches one. RIP: profile, blog comments, social bookmarks, RESERVED spot Wiki.

Mix of dofollows and nofollows should look natural to the eyes of google..

His point is right,by mixing both types of links we send strong message to google that the links are natural and whether it is do-follow or no-follow it will surely add up some value .No-follow links dont bring much pr value but it can at least bring some traffic to the blog.

Its not the same as devaluing profile links, wikis are a way different animal than that...if it gets bad enough maybe they will experience some devaluing but nothing like straight spammy profile links just due to the nature of the wikis. blog comments and social bookmarks still work great as well so im not really sure where your coming from there

I was offering a service related to this, but I've stopped a few months ago. If the wikis haven't lost their value they will soon have. Every week there's a new wiki bot released so it's a matter of time until google catches one. RIP: profile, blog comments, social bookmarks, RESERVED spot Wiki.

It's seem MediaWiki links are the new forum profiles/mass blog comments craze for 2012. I use SickSubmitter for article links/wiki's, and there are about 2-3 do follow wiki platforms, that are sold as part of one of the most popular wiki packets on their forum. Has anyone tested the effectiveness of 9k no follow wikis vs let's say 100 do follow wiki's?

stop thinking either/or and start thinking both/and :)

though i see your point in curiosity of testing either/or

From my personal experience (and I've used wiki's extensively) dofollow's provide more ranking power than no follow's. No follow's still help but it seems like their main purpose is to assign relevance to a page as opposed to actually passing link juice.

At the end of the day I'm with googlealchemist here. Just get both.

I think the "link is a link is a link" line of thought it was the right one when it comes to wiki's.

It's not as though they're really difficult to obtain or anything like that, so go for them all.

DoFollow are obviously going to be more valuable than NoFollow, but that's not to say there is no benefit of getting NoFollow ones.

I would seriously hope you're not using links from open MediaWiki websites on any domain that brings in revenue... these have an easier footprint to follow than BMR/ALN so you can rest assured they will be captured in a future webspam update.

Search engine give more priority to do-follow back-links it doesn't mean they don't recognize no-follow link. No-follow back-links from relevant and high PR website can also help you to rank higher on Google and also on other search engines.

Mix of dofollows and nofollows should look natural to the eyes of google..

How so? nofollow was designed to not pass anchor or page rank, most no follow platforms have this in the comment sections. I can't how having a mix looks natural and if it does then what is the purpose of the nofollow?

How so? nofollow was designed to not pass anchor or page rank, most no follow platforms have this in the comment sections. I can't how having a mix looks natural and if it does then what is the purpose of the nofollow?

Since you are not supposedly supposed to acquire links for your sites, having nofollow links would just give a natural impression to your backlinking profile because if you were to go the whitehat way and people provided you with citations, they wouldn't bother making eveything explicitly dofollow...

So, having backlinks from different sources, both of dofollow and nofollow type would indicate no explicit effort from your end to force your way to the top of search engines...

Does seem like we're all living in a surreal world though as no one bothers to do what they are supposed and expected to because it simply does not work that way...

Because normal website owners do not pay attention to whether or not a link is no-follow or not. The only people who pay attention are the seo crowd trying to game the system. This means that a normal non-seo website owner will naturally end up with a mix of both types of links. Therefor not having any no-follow links at all pointing to your site is not a natural pattern.

No-follow is the biggest waste of time. It makes me chuckle. I want someone to show me a conclusive case study of a competitive keyword ranked with only no-follow links.

Reading through the thread I do not see that anybody suggested that trying to rank with only no-follow is a good idea. Nice strawman you threw up there to allow the snark. thumbs up.

Nobody argues with the fact that high PR blog posts make nice links but I do not see people arguing that you should go after high competition keywords using no other link types.

I cant remember how much of the links on the web are nofollow, think it was like 5-10%. Could be off. If you want to look "natural" you want to have a similar ratio.

I just think its a mental masturbation topic. I have sites that rank with 5% nofollow and sites that rank with 30% nofollow. I dont think it matters all that much. It might be a bit worrying if your site is 50%+ nofollow, i dont have any evidence of this because none of my sites have that many nofollow links. Id imagine it sets off some alarms though. Who knows haha :)