• Create Account

Hey Guest, Welcome to Traffic Planet!

Sign up today in order to gain access to a vast range of features including the ability to create new topics, send private messages, Facebook & Twitter integration and MUCH more!

• RSS Feed
  •  

WPX Hosting by Terry Kyle

WPX Hosting – owned by Traffic Planet founder, Terry Kyle - is the ONLY hosting service recommended by Thrive Themes) – use promo code WPX-LOVES-TRAFFIC-PLANET for $1 first month (‘Business Plan’)

10 Reasons Why WPX Hosting Should Be Your Managed WordPress Hosting Provider:

1. Staging Area w/- UNIQUE functionality – merge your Staging site version with the Live site version WITHOUT losing new blog comments or post/page changes on the Live site since the Staging version was created
    2. WPX Hosting’s 24/7/365 Support Team AVERAGE under 30 seconds response time, according to Live Chat Inc (the independent live chat platform used by WPX Hosting)
    3. “FIXED FOR YOU” Guarantee: Unlike old-school hosting company support that sends you a link to an article when you get into technical trouble & expects you to fix the issue, we do it for you, FAST & FREE (and we can still send you an article link if you want!). WPX Hosting is like your own F1 pit crew, ready 24/7/365 to get your technical problems resolved fast.
    4. SUPERFAST high-end new SSD servers deliberately UNDERloaded for high performance under extreme traffic loads (e.g. email marketing broadcasts, product launches)
    5. UNLIMITED Free Google-Sponsored SSL Certificates Installed & Active In Under 10 Seconds (Watch Video Here)
    6. PHP 7.X Enabled (Plus Earlier Versions) + http2 enabled + enterprise-level Incapsula DDOS protection on ALL plans
    7. Unlimited FREE Site Migration from your current host to WPX Hosting Within 24 Hours, 7 Days A Week
    8. Fully Managed WordPress Hosting With FREE Email Included (Unlike Many Others)
    9. US servers Located In The World's Largest Datacenter Along With America's Financial Infrastructure, UK servers in London too.
    10. WPX Hosting Is Trusted With 50 Million+ Page Views Every Month

CASE STUDY: Negative SEO - Results

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
    497 replies to this topic

#21 neutrinoburger

neutrinoburger

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
    • posts 189
    • LocationUK

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:46 PM

A heist is a term used to describe a robbery from an institution such as a bank or a museum, or any robbery in which there is a large haul of loot.

I just sprayed half a mouthful of wine at the computer screen lol!

Gotta hand it to you Jammy - on the ball, even when you're drunk ;)

#22 ipman

ipman

• posts 47

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:52 PM

It will be interesting to see where the rankings will be next month. Back to their previous positions? Better or even worse?

NOW SELLING .co.uk domain names with good PR and DA. Take a look here: http://trafficplanet.com/index.php?/topic/8549-couk-domains-for-sale-pr4-pr1/

#23 brandonbaker

brandonbaker

• posts 630

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:35 PM

30 people reading this thread right now, and 27 of them are guests. Something tells me this just got big.

And welcome to our newest member!

Posted Image

Edited by brandonbaker, 18 April 2012 - 09:36 PM.

#24 Jbar

Jbar

• posts 20

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:41 PM

I've seen this sort of thing happen to some sites in niches I work in. It's a good to see some publicity brought to this topic, even when MC says it's very hard for this to happen. The barriers to doing negative SEO use to be high and expensive, but with the tools available today that is not the case anymore. Google really needs to fix this problem.

Edited by Jbar, 18 April 2012 - 09:42 PM.

#25 omgyams

omgyams

• posts 3
    • LocationInterwebz

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:50 PM

Hot damn, nice case study!

#26 Fear

Fear

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
    • posts 113

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:12 PM

nvm

Edited by Fear, 18 April 2012 - 11:15 PM.

#27 Robinlowemi7

Robinlowemi7

• posts 54

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:28 PM

Thank you.

If there is 1 time, 1 time and to 1 person, who deserved a case study like this, NO MISTAKES WERE MADE CHOOSING SUBJECTS.

I cant stop laughing.

301 redirects from super seod sites eh...hmmmmm

No one is 100% "white-hat" in this business, because no business can ever be.

The comment that dan made to MC was not really needed. It really went too far. With all of these panda and algorithm changes, real people (good and bad) get burned. Families and children go hungry.

Still, Google is simply doing its thing, working its business. No one except google gets to have the last laugh here.

So while dan went to bed that night and tucked into his covers, someone was preparing a 1MIL scrapebox list.

Lesson, never f**k with SEOs, this is one of the most competitive groups of individuals ever created.

Combined, nearly an unlimited resource of good stuff, or ass kicking.

Remember folks... When reality hits, it BOOM BOOM BOOM :D

Edited by Robinlowemi7, 18 April 2012 - 11:59 PM.

#28 Bob Loblaw

Bob Loblaw

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
    • posts 408

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:23 AM

I wish I could hit that "like" button 1000 times. Thank you Jammy and PixelGrinder for making my day!

#29 negativeseo

negativeseo

• posts 68

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:54 AM

We have managed to totally destroy a credible site with decent page rank, age, traffic and some-what authority. Site we targeted is revealed below!

I have been running a negative SEO company for many years now and managed to make small businesses drop heavily on Google SERPS, receive -50 penalties and get dropped all altogether. All by using a series of techniques I will outline below.

A client came to me and asked if we could drop a bunch of sites down a few spots in Google.co.uk so that they could rank higher. (The client never revealed themselves but by process of elimination on the sites I was targeting it seemed pretty clear LOL)

We analysed the sites in the top 5 positions for a variation of keywords and in #1 position for a good key phrase was a site that had a PR5, it was in the top 3 for many of the variations of key phrases and was not a bricks and mortar brand as I like to call them. These site are easy to target as their only footprint is online thus leading to less authority and credibility. (btw… not always)

Internal page was PR4 with decent enough content but the site was not as well designed / structured as others and the content on some internal pages had duplicates.

These are great signs to look for when targeting a website, almost all sites have their vulnerabilities and you just need to find the highlight them and exploit the hell out them.

We started working on the site about 1 year ago with a service called dripfeedblasts.com, we signed up for a huge package and started blasting the hell out of the site with 1000 profile links a day, the key was to target all their major key phrases easily found on sites like semrush.com. If you target just one key phrase you don’t get the long term benefits. The goal here is to make it look like a natural SEO campaign.

What we typically have seen after a blast is a drop in SERPS for 2 days followed by a gain of a few positions sometimes more. Every competitors worst nightmare right? NO… Google has now been alerted to unnatural behaviour, Google asks itself was this a news story that caused a sudden interest in the site, if so then it’s OK. Google will analyse where the links are coming from and make a decision on what benefits to give to those links. The trick is to keep it going until you see a drop a second time. At this point you want to switch tactics to make it look like the webmaster is reacting to the SERPS changes.

We then bought a bunch of services from fiverr.com, blog posts, facebook likes, tweets, link wheels etc… The spamiest ones we could find, easy to find, you just look for negative comments and ratings on services LOL.

At this point we got the best news ever! We saw a thread on Google Help Forums started by a representative of the company! Why is this good news, well now we have the handle name he uses online, although we did have it anyways as we checked backlinks for the site and found conversations in automotive forums.

But it also means that the webmaster is concerned and noticed a problem.

The best thing about Google Forums is that they get people bitching and whining all the time, so when there is a real concern your screwed LOL as they hate those people and do their best to aggravate them. A prime example of that is a user called webado, god help anyone that gets this person in their thread what a total douche.

So I watched this total loser ***** and whine about the loss in rankings and that someone was creating spam links to his site etc..

At this stage we created a BMR account and got a cheap writer from India to create lots of posts and links, we then created profiles on forums with his username / handle and talked about services he had just bought and if anyone knew if they worked.

We started creating lots of spam links and posts in forums to pages that were dropping in rankings. Getting the accounts that we had created banned in those forums. (some of these forums report this activity as spam to Google.)

At this point we hit the site with another xrumer blast and then a bunch of spam blog roll links. We crawled the site day and night for content, a few million pages I might add! (the site claims to have 8 million cars online worldwide, at it would seem they bloody well did LOL) (also our scrapping of the site slowed to down considerably which I am sure will also have a negative page speed effect, two birds with one stone! LOL) We then posted duplicated content on loads of wordpress / blog sites etc. Its easy to target a site that has new content daily as you can grab the data before its indexed by Google and then post it somewhere else gaining authority on the continent and making it look like the target site is just duplicating it!

As the sites started to plummet from an Alexa ranking of 50,000 to about 100K we could really see it was working. The conversations were still going on in Google Forums with the loser webmaster getting more irate haha.

We then targeted the Google listing for the company and created loads of 5 star reviews saying how amazing the service was with Fiverr etc.. After just 2 months and 40 reviews the site was gone from Google reviews! LOL wow that was easy!

We created a fake email account and politely asked sites with good links pointing to the site to remove them and in some cases a mention of a DMCA takedown. Almost all webmaster react to this quickly LOL, emails can contain messages that suggest the site they link too has a penalty or seen as a bad neighbourhood and we are just warning you. Normally results in a quick and effective link removal.

As of this week the site is totally gone for all its major keywords! It still seems to get traffic from long tail but the main damage is now done.

The whole process was not a quick one (almost a year in total, but the major damage was done in 4 months), if you want to target a small businesses its can be done in as little as a month. But bigger businesses take a while longer.

I do however feel that a large business with a solid brand is almost impossible to shake down. But there are many small & medium size businesses that are easy targets, they have good content and services but the sites have small issues, like duplicate pages or bad structure. Exploit the hell out of them and its easy pickings!

I hope that was a fun and exciting guide to negative SEO and how to take down your competition.

As promised the losers site we targeted was da da daaaaa. justgoodcars.com, sorry bro! But business is business LOL

The keyword targets were all the major ones, used cars, used cars for sale, value my car, car valuation, used Nissan, used Honda etc….
    Everyone of them is now totally out of the listings.

In case you were wondering, I offered the client a discount if I could use this as a case study.

Please remember that at no point did we claim to be justgoodcars.com, we simply created various links, posts and emails mentioning them. It may seem to the less inquisitive that we were the company in question and that’s all we needed to do.

Nothing illegal was done here and can be easily replicated.

My personal opinion on this is that Google should not allow this to happen at all, they are totally incapable of detecting the most malicious of behaviours and therefore should not impose negative algorithmic changes on any sites. Will we see a change? I expect not! Google plans to change page one of SERPS in to a 100% paid for page. This can only be accomplished by forcing sites to find income in ads. My predication, a version of Google Local/Places will dominate the entire first page by next year.

Go buy shares in Google, over 95% of its profits are made from ads, this is set to skyrocket this year.

#30 Dan Thies

Dan Thies

• posts 14

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:59 AM

What's up, skiddies?

Got some bad news on the results so far, but I'm pulling for you.

[seo] did have a spike in ranking a couple weeks ago, likely caused by the first wave of "negative SEO" effort. It's since gone back to where it would be normally. A bad target though (not that you can avoid it since you're bombing [seo book]) because the site doesn't normally rank on page 1, or even close.

[seo book] is a better target, since it's usually around page 1 somewhere, but the change is likely due to the new theme I deployed last week, which is pretty poor "out of the box" because it has way too many sitewides to archive pages and stuff. I'll get that fixed by the weekend, so it's back to the old structure. When I deployed this theme in testing in January, it dropped all the way to page 4, so I'd expect that SERP will bounce back within a week or so, unless negative SEO works. ;-)

[dan thies] would be the intelligent target, since it's the most important SERP you could target, and accomplishing something there would be absolutely incontrovertible proof that Google has been hiding the truth about negative SEO. I don't think y'all can do it, but it does appear you all can create a lot of spam pretty quickly, so you never know. If anything, it should be easier, since that's a ranking supported more by inbound links thank [seo book], which is barely competitive and pretty easy to rank with internal links.

Best of luck with it. If you can't prove anything with this, maybe I'll buy an ecommerce store that you can try to burn to the ground.

#31 Catalyst

Catalyst

Advanced Member

• posts 152

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:05 AM

+1 NegativeSeo excellent information.

It is actually much easier as of last month to tank a site, but your information is spot on.

#32 Fear

Fear

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
    • posts 113

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:06 AM

Posted Image

Hello Asslicker - how is it going?

Why don't you admit you've built the links yourself? Everyone knows that.

You just burned your domain. Lying about some negative SEO won't reverse your drops.

You should build great content - do not engage in any link schemes. And DO NOT buy any links.

I hope I could help, Dan.

Edited by Fear, 19 April 2012 - 01:10 AM.

#33 Catalyst

Catalyst

Advanced Member

• posts 152

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:11 AM

What's up, skiddies?

Got some bad news on the results so far, but I'm pulling for you.

[seo] did have a spike in ranking a couple weeks ago, likely caused by the first wave of "negative SEO" effort. It's since gone back to where it would be normally. A bad target though (not that you can avoid it since you're bombing [seo book]) because the site doesn't normally rank on page 1, or even close.

[seo book] is a better target, since it's usually around page 1 somewhere, but the change is likely due to the new theme I deployed last week, which is pretty poor "out of the box" because it has way too many sitewides to archive pages and stuff. I'll get that fixed by the weekend, so it's back to the old structure. When I deployed this theme in testing in January, it dropped all the way to page 4, so I'd expect that SERP will bounce back within a week or so, unless negative SEO works. ;-)

[dan thies] would be the intelligent target, since it's the most important SERP you could target, and accomplishing something there would be absolutely incontrovertible proof that Google has been hiding the truth about negative SEO. I don't think y'all can do it, but it does appear you all can create a lot of spam pretty quickly, so you never know. If anything, it should be easier, since that's a ranking supported more by inbound links thank [seo book], which is barely competitive and pretty easy to rank with internal links.

Best of luck with it. If you can't prove anything with this, maybe I'll buy an ecommerce store that you can try to burn to the ground.

Dan you have some other interesting sites, should we do a collaborated effort and burn them? It can been done.

I took a close look at the spam links pointing back to your site, there was another site mixed in the same spam links/posts pointing to your sites.

The site was weddingpaperdivas.com , when I first looked at the ranking for this site they were at #2 to #4, NOW they are back on page 2.

I looked at some historical data for weddingpaperdivas.com and ran there link data. They have been on page one for years for the very EXPENSIVE TERM "wedding invitations". Now all of the sudden they have dropped to page 2, coincidence, I don't think so.

Glad your trying to help with this issue.. I find it all quite funny and am just sitting back watching the show.

This only helps get you the attention you so want so enjoy it while it lasts.

Edited by Catalyst, 19 April 2012 - 01:16 AM.

#34 bluguy

bluguy

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
    • posts 114
    • LocationUK

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:12 AM

What's up, skiddies?

Some people just don't help themselves.

#35 Fear

Fear

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
    • posts 113

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:12 AM

I took a close look at the spam links pointing back to your site, there was another site mixed in the same spam links/posts pointing to your sites.

The site was weddingpaperdivas.com , when I first looked at the ranking for this site they were at #2 to #4, NOW they are back on page 2.

I looked at some historical data for weddingpaperdivas.com and ran there link data. They have been on page one for years for the very EXPENSIVE TERM "wedding invitations". Now all of the sudden they have dropped to page 2, coincidence, I don't think so.

^Could it be that Dan Thies burned a multi-million commercial domain?

Dan - why have you linked 3rd party domain along with 2 of your websites? Can you explain your motives?

Edited by Fear, 19 April 2012 - 01:13 AM.

#36 negativeseo

negativeseo

• posts 68

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:13 AM

Thanks Catalyst, my hope is to highlight the lies Google has been spreading for ages, if done properly rather than a random blast here or there it can look like a very natural PR and SERPS manipulation.

#37 Dan Thies

Dan Thies

• posts 14

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:15 AM

Howdy "Fear."

I was trying to get an answer to this: https://twitter.com/#!/danthies/statuses/180339693064437760

"@mattcutts if sites that have never done any "link building" are getting "unnatural links" warnings, how should they respond?"

I may have laid it on a little too thick when I tried to mix a little carrot in with the stick, and it didn't work. He's ignoring it - in spite of a lot of people RTing the same question. But yeah, sure, he's my bestest pal. When he likes what he's hearing. :-)

#38 Dan Thies

Dan Thies

• posts 14

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:17 AM

^Could it be that Dan Thies burned a multi-million commercial domain?

Dan - why have you linked 3rd party domain along with 2 of your websites? Can you explain your motives?

What 3rd party domain?

I have no idea who weddingpaperdivas.com is. Not mine.

#39 Fear

Fear

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
    • posts 113

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:22 AM

Well it is a website which you linked along with 2 of your websites. And now they've dropped.

#40 Catalyst

Catalyst

Advanced Member

• posts 152

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:22 AM

What 3rd party domain?

I have no idea who weddingpaperdivas.com is. Not mine.

I think he is implying you created these links and are doing this for publicity and why would you bring this other company into the mix.

I feel bad for the company it is hard being made an example of..