RobertR

Facebook ADs - Do they Work?

I didn't succeeded with Facebook ads fortunately I didn't use this such amount like $500 for advertising on Facebook. but I wonder why I see a lot of marketers who's promoting their stuff webinars, landing pages and get leads and sales via Facebook. didn't work for me. 

I actually have great successes with facebook ads, they are great for local niches, but all my campaigns promote a cleverly put together landing page and are for lead gen in multiple niches, and it works for me very well :)

Facebook ads are awesome if you do them right, and awful if you don't.  The main problem is it takes a lot of learning to understand how to do them right, so doing Facebook ads is a commitment in time and patience.  But it rewards those who make the commitment.

Right now, the greatest things Facebook have going for it are targeted audiences, custom audiences and retargeting.

1. Targeting options in Facebook have improved by leaps and bounds.  The most recent upgrade is the ability to use Interests as -AND- functions instead of -OR-. This makes targeting about 100x more effective.  Also there's a lot of great demographics filtering in the third party 'Behaviors' section. 

A recent audience I created: People located within a 50 mile radius of 6 major cities, who are managers in the sales field, work at companies with 50 employees or more, and are interested in training.

2. Other than targeting, the best thing about Facebook is cheap traffic. I think the major disconnect people have is when they try to treat Facebook like 'Inverse Google.'  In other words, use targeting to try to find the people who would otherwise be looking for your keywords on Google.  It doesn't work like that. Instead, consider all Facebook traffic as COLD traffic, even though it's targeted.  Cold traffic must be warmed up, then it might be attracted to a lead magnet or a sale.  So you have to consider the best way to pay for traffic given your purpose.

Pay per click - best for sending cheap, cold traffic to content (blog posts) that have been pixellated to create a custom audience of everyone who clicked. The custom audience is now WARM and can be treated the way you'd treat someone who found you via Google. 

Pay per conversion - best for sending the warm custom audience traffic to a lead magnet or sales page. That way you only pay Facebook when someone takes your lead bait or completes a purchase. And since this is a WARM audience, your conversion rates will be much higher so your cost per conversion will be lower.

3. This is where retargeting comes into play. Using pixels and custom audiences, Facebook allows you to completely automate the retargeting process.  It goes like this:

- Everyone who clicks on your blog post is added to a custom audience (as described above)

- The custom audience is then immediately served your lead magnet ads, which have been set up to target that audience

- If it's a lead magnet with an upsell, you can even create a custom audience of everyone who didn't take the upsell, and retarget another ad to THEM!

- ...and on and on and on and on

So let's say my goal is to conduct live workshops.  I can send the targeted traffic to a series of articles, automatically create a custom audience, and remarket the workshops to only those from the custom audience who live in my area.  The possibilities are endless.

The ultimate advantage of using Facebook is SCALABILITY, since once you have these funnels up and running you just crank up the daily ad buy to scale your operation.  I recommend you Google things like "custom audiences" and "website conversion optimization" to learn about this stuff.

The general consensus here appears to be that Facebook campaigns are not a good idea.

People are right, tried different niches, and in all the cases the Facebook campaigns came down in flames, zero luck. I learned that I`m much better using Google`s system if I want to attract visitors to a website.

But this is my opinion, maybe I didn`t know how to target the people I wanted to reach. This may be true, but experience have taught me that Google` system is more direct and in many ways better.

The general consensus here appears to be that Facebook campaigns are not a good idea.

People are right, tried different niches, and in all the cases the Facebook campaigns came down in flames, zero luck. I learned that I`m much better using Google`s system if I want to attract visitors to a website.

But this is my opinion, maybe I didn`t know how to target the people I wanted to reach. This may be true, but experience have taught me that Google` system is more direct and in many ways better.

I look at it this way - most people here use Google, so they understand SEO, backlinking and keyword selection.  None of those skills matter with Facebook.

When you try to apply a Google methodology to Facebook, it fails.  Plenty of internet marketers do well with Facebook.  They just have a different philosophy and skill set.  I think the primary difference is - Facebook marketers would rather pay for traffic than SEO, so they learn the skills to drive targeted traffic rather than rank high for targeted keywords.  With Google, customers are sort of reaching out to YOU, based on their keyword phrases.  With Facebook, you are reaching out to THEM based on their stated interests and other demographical data.

As far as results go, let me illustrate what I was trying to describe above with a campaign I'm running now.  Using Facebook's audience targeting parameters I created an audience of 630k. Created a 'native ad' - an article packed with information to warm them up and direct them to an optin opportunity. I also pixelled the visitors, so anyone who read the article was added to a custom audience.  I then retargeted a different ad to the custom audience with a reminder for the optin.

The clickthrough rate for the native ad: 2.1 percent

The clickthrough rate for the retargeted optin reminder: 14.3 percent

That's how Facebook marketing works.  Buy cheaper clicks to warm them up, retarget them to close the deal.  I understand why those who prefer the Google SEO approach might not warm up to that, but that's different than saying 'it doesn't work.'

I'd say SEO and Adwords are a lot better for gauging customer intent, because you have 'buyer keywords.' With Facebook, you can't gauge customer intent.  You have to segment your audience to sift out potential customers first, then pixel them and retarget them.  That extra step is an extra expense, but at the end of the day people are getting $2-3 leads this way and getting 1000s of percent ROI by selling to them over time.

I don't think FB ads are really good for sales, especially tech/software related as most guys here work around those niches.

Probably a good fit for a news website or to form a community around a specific niche. I can imagine it can work well if you market a free forum, form a community there, and then sell on your own forum.

Also might work for selling trendy fashion items.

I remember when I first tried Facebook ads. I had an online shop that sells mountain bike parts. I invested about 500$ in the campaign and the results were similar to yours: 0 conversions.

Four years later, I know what I did wrong: I didn`t have experience and I didn`t do a great targeting job (region, time of day to display the ads, even the selected ages were wrong, I also did not test multiple scenarios).

One more thing: When you invest money in these kind of campaigns you aren`t loosing money, even if you don`t get any leads, you ARE BUYING DATA that will help you later.

It takes a long time to get things right with FB ads.

Your targeting and products/service combination needs to be a great fit for you to be profitable.

I've spent almost 200k on them, they definitely work and work very well for many businesses.

At end of the day, that's how FaceBook earns its revenue and considering it's a billion dollar company, it definitely works.

I was going to try the facebook ads but reviews here have discouraged me. Perhaps I should try twitter ads instead.

The problem is not necessarily with Facebook ads, the problem is with people not knowing how to use Facebook Ads.

For example, OP said she targeted "young male adults", I wouldn`t say this is a group that converts too well.

NO!

​Facebook ads can and do work for a lot of people. However buying likes is not really the best way to spend your ad dollars. While I find the info in the video a bit disturbing it only affects buying likes so if you spend your money on other types of ads you will not be affected by the problem.

Even if you want to buy likes you can probably cut out a lot of the problem by targeting your audience better. Using the promote button on the main page of your account is the worst way to buy ads, always use the ad manager that will allow you to really dig into targeting your ads to the right people. Facebook allows you to really dig into a target demographic, not doing so when running ads is throwing away money and time.

Having said that I have had mixed results with Facebook ads, I have had good results when targeting local demographics but when going after non-local niches my results have been decidedly mixed.   .

FB works decent. If you have stuff that converts great on socials its worth putting money into this. I have made a post with decent tricks for FB to oprimize ads cheap lately - 

Please login or register to see this link.

im sure it will help you alot

The CTR for Facebook ads can be pretty abysmal. The people over at PCworld tried it out and got 25 clicks from 253,207 impressions which is a 0.01% clickrate. It's great for exposure but more often than not, not for actual sales.

From my actual experience, Google Adwords is the best form of advertising. They are very targeted and sales conversion can be fantastic if you target the right keywords and have a great landing page. However, cpc these days unlike 10 years ago can be very high indeed.

This is all well and good, but the issue is the vast majority of FB users have ad blindness and don't even pay attention to these ads. They view FB more as what Zuckerberg created it to be - a social utility. No one wants advertisers disrupting their socializing. The only reason I pay attention to the ads is because I'm in online marketing. Sometimes the targeting is spot on. Sometimes it's not. I don't think I've ever converted off a FB ad. Liked something? Sure. Purchased something? Nope.

This is all well and good, but the issue is the vast majority of FB users have ad blindness and don't even pay attention to these ads. They view FB more as what Zuckerberg created it to be - a social utility. No one wants advertisers disrupting their socializing. The only reason I pay attention to the ads is because I'm in online marketing. Sometimes the targeting is spot on. Sometimes it's not. I don't think I've ever converted off a FB ad. Liked something? Sure. Purchased something? Nope.

Just because you have failed to make something work does not mean that other people can not be successful at it. It just means that they are doing something you are not or are selling something you are not.

For facebook ads (and social media ads in general) I have personally found that the best way to convert them is to use a two step process rather than try to get them to buy directly from the ads.

Give away a lead magnet to get them on your list and then do the direct selling to them from there rather than selling directly from the ad.

Lots of people ARE finding Facebook ads profitable so yes it can be done.

Facebook traffic can absolutely work.

The TRICK is constant optimization.

The problem is most people bow out of their ad campaigns before

FB has had enough time to optimize their pixel.

As an example, ALOT of people that are going for sales, NEVER optimize their

FB pixel for 'Add-to-Carts".

You have to know what you want your ultimate outcome to be... is it clicks,leads or sales

and then work backwards from there by optimizing accordingly ?