RobertR

Facebook ADs - Do they Work?

Yeah same here as well, tried it at the end of last year with some weight loss cpa offer,i got around 900 clicks in 4 days but not a single sale!Spending money on facebook ad is a big waste of money & time :(.

Edited by ahmedbd

GM withdrawing their $40 million from Facebook advertising has the answer to this question!

Also, it is worth noting that Facebook is great to create brand awareness. However, instant sales might not occur there because people go to Facebook to spend the leisure time. Not to search for something to buy.

I think most FB gurus use the ads to try to get people to like their page. Once they build an audience for their business page, they post affiliate links or advertise products (occasionally...do it a lot and people will unlike your page) to their audience. I think most successful FB pages center around topics people can be passionate about...family, pets, politics, certain hobbies, etc.

Anyway, I'm not a FB guru...just have watched a webinar or two on it.

It was reported today that automaker GM will no longer be spending $10M of its annual $40M Facebook marketing budget on paid advertisements. The reason? According to Joel Ewanick, GM’s CMO, after months of analysis, he and his team came to the conclusion that the ads’ impact on consumers wasn’t great enough and didn’t warrant such an expensive investment. In short, users just haven’t been clicking through. Today’s announced cutback doesn’t mean GM’s overall commitment to Facebook has waned or that its other investments on the social site aren’t still providing healthy ROI — clearly they are, as GM will continue to allocate $30M toward maintaining its corporate page.

GM’s pullout isn’t likely to cripple or even cause much of a cramp in Facebook’s multi-billion dollar revenue. What it could do, and significantly if others follow GM’s example, is cast doubt on the site’s reportedly $100B+ valuation, set for IPO this Friday. Further complicating Facebook’s case is a new AP/CNBC poll out today that confirms on the user-end what GM discovered: paid advertisements and sponsored content on Facebook aren’t very popular with consumers. With more than 1,000 Facebookers ages 18 and over surveyed, the poll showed an overwhelming 83 percent of respondents “never†or “hardly ever†clicked on brands’ Facebook ads and sponsored content. 12 percent reported they “sometimes†did, and just 4 percent said “often.†Given these numbers, it’s no surprise that GM made the decision it did today. Now, we’ll just have to wait and see if other heavy ad hitters follow suit (Chrysler and Ford have already publicly stated they have no intention of joining GM), and how, if this is the case, a wide-scale retreat will affect the social networking site.

Edited by nouman.zarrak

the problem with facebook Ads from the brief experience I had with them is that they're just not very targeted, which is why conversions suck. Even if you can pick keywords present on people's profiles for targeting (which if I recall is how you do any type of targeting with a campaign), that doesn't mean they're in the market to buy something related to that necessarily, or at the immediate time.

It's probably better suited for building a list or lead generation than converting sales (in general).

Edited by Logan Sargent

Hello Everyone,

I have tried Facebook a couple of times and it has never worked for me. I see many people advertising their facebook fanpages.  Also one thing I have learned is, there are so many other places you can get website traffic from and this is what works for me. Facebook has not worked for me at all whereas other places have.

Enjoyed reading the comments here on this subject.

Edited by uni379

Noah Kagan from appsumo.com spends around $60,000 a week on Facebook Ads.

If you search Google Images with the term, appsumo ads on facebook

you'll see some of them.

There's obviously a market for it or people wouldn't be spending that much money if they weren't getting a reasonable ROI for that amount of ad spend. Most of us are probably under-educated about how to put together campaigns effectively. Does anyone have suggestions for a good course/guide they've reviewed that helped with this type of marketing strategy?

If you have the capital, time and patience to play the game with facebook ads then you may see some success but it will take a lot of testing, took me over $2000 before I ever made a profit, but it is possible, because I'm doing it.

the problem with facebook Ads from the brief experience I had with them is that they're just not very targeted, which is why conversions suck. Even if you can pick keywords present on people's profiles for targeting (which if I recall is how you do any type of targeting with a campaign), that doesn't mean they're in the market to buy something related to that necessarily, or at the immediate time.

It's probably better suited for building a list or lead generation than converting sales (in general).

Something that Brad Gosse said works for him with FB ads is targeting by favourite TV shows rather than stated interests e.g. wannabe entrepreneurs like Dragons' Den, Shark Tank etc.

Something that Brad Gosse said works for him with FB ads is targeting by favourite TV shows rather than stated interests e.g. wannabe entrepreneurs like Dragons' Den, Shark Tank etc.

I'm guessing he's building a community page around that and more or less using it as his list?

I've got a little experience with FB Ads. Better than Adwords regarding cost, but conversions can be a bit of trouble. I'll have to dig around a bit more on this idea. It's definitely a bit of lateral thinking going on...

Noah Kagan from appsumo.com spends around $60,000 a week on Facebook Ads.

If you search Google Images with the term, appsumo ads on facebook

you'll see some of them.

Hmmm, I've read so much about AppSumo and Noah Kagan during last week. This must be serendipity. That Noah Kagan had collected 650,000 emails during the period of one year for his software shop and now employs some 5 people in New York, not Taiwan!

Anyway, Marketing on FB is not for nerds (like us, or at least myself). People on FB are in FUN MODE, FB is like a party place. You can not pitch business on party. On a party, you just introduce yourself and try to give something. I had no success with FB, but path seems to be: give them a freebee > get email > keep them amused > than pitch them with a sale.

On Google people are in TASK MODE, actively trying to find something and get over with it. That is why just simply presenting an offer, with zero engagement, converts at 1-2%.

Another thing, you must have solid Disclosure and T&C or FB will shut you down in no time. Be careful not to abuse other people trademarks as well, because that can get FB in trouble.

It works very well. I like using it for leadgen. Facebook is a site where (even smart) people go to chill out and waste time. So if you give something away you can build a pretty good list to follow up on later and sell them something, affiliate or your own product.

Persistence is key

A lot of it is getting the free bribe right - through experimentation of course.

If you have the capital, time and patience to play the game with facebook ads then you may see some success but it will take a lot of testing, took me over $2000 before I ever made a profit, but it is possible, because I'm doing it.

Exactly Natasha. You can't make any real progress without SPECIALIZATION.

I'm guessing he's building a community page around that and more or less using it as his list?

I've got a little experience with FB Ads. Better than Adwords regarding cost, but conversions can be a bit of trouble. I'll have to dig around a bit more on this idea. It's definitely a bit of lateral thinking going on...

From memory, Brad said that FB ads were his main media buying avenue by far.

Another thing, you must have solid Disclosure and T&C or FB will shut you down in no time. Be careful not to abuse other people trademarks as well, because that can get FB in trouble.

That's great advice generally, whether using FB ads or not.

It works very well. I like using it for leadgen. Facebook is a site where (even smart) people go to chill out and waste time. So if you give something away you can build a pretty good list to follow up on later and sell them something, affiliate or your own product.

Persistence is key

it surely does! been doing it for the last 2-3 years.

Care to share any specific 'best practice' FB ads tactics?

Well, it depends on your promotion. I believe a very good number of people are getting pretty good feedback from Facebook ads. I recommend that you try once again with different approach. And do not forget Pinterest as it has more conversion rate because of some real buyers. In fact, you should know how to do it whatever you do.

It depend upon the product you are going to sell through FB, But the New research dispels the “myth†that Facebook does not offer return on investment for advertisers

Does anyone here have a recent experience with FaceBook ads?

I tried that about 5 years ago, just when FaceBook ads came out.

I was advertising seduction related product for young men.

I loved the fact I could select the demographics so well.

I spend $500 and got about 2000 clicks to my website with no sale!

While traffic from other sources was converting at about 1%.

FaceBook was a total bust for me, and I have never repeated it since then.

I just assumed that FaceBook people are in the mood of kicking tires, not purchasing products.

So do you guys have a different experience?

Edited by Dinoseo

Though FB do not be helpful for getting higher sales directly but indirectly it be helpful for raising business. As now more people used to use social media to know about the best product and they discuss with the friends about the better product. And sometime due to FB ads also one can get more people to drive to business and as people drive to business then it is one's responsibility to take advantage of this opportunities and to raise sales. So thus indirectly FB and other social media be helpful for business.

It's not a high-intent marketplace, people don't use FB to buy

But that doesn't mean they're not buyers.

I see it as a list-building tool, at least for the niches I'd use it for. I've only really run one test with FB, and it was enough to show me it warrants some attention, at some point.

Re: "it doesn't work, blah blah", well obviously it does for some.

SEO doesn't work for a lot of people either.

Generally, it comes down to the MARKET.

Everything hinges on what you sell and how you sell it.

-Chris

Facebook has lot of limitations with regards to multiple niches.

If u look for conversion.. FB is not the place to be..But i have heard some success stories in regards with branding..

However - whatever it takes create a good Fan page- Promote within Facebook,Make it viral and easily take it to google for conversion !!