Sign in to follow this  
hostmaster1234

Big Google Update

So confirmed by Google (for a change :D)

Thought this part was a bit strange - and there is nothing a site can do specifically to “fix†their ranking after the core update runs

unless all related to quality of content rather than code/off-page?

Please login or register to see this link.

SERIOUS damage across my empire from this recent update. From my perspective it hit on Feb 28/March 1st - and it affected nearly all my sites across the board.

I'm still waiting for SEMRush (free account) to update for March keyword positions to get a better sense of ranking position losses.

Sometimes it doesn't take much to get shoved off to Page 2 and see sharp traffic losses on what were otherwise strong sites.

From what I see on Page 1 in the Tech niche -- It's more like a "Who Got Rewarded" update than a 'penalty' per-se.

Seems a lot more Knowledge Graph data is showing up above the fold too - that can cause traffic drops for EVERYONE in the Top-10 without organic keyword positions being affected at all.

We're being told there's not a lot you can do to 'fix' your new rankings. Lower Expectations + Lower Traffic. :(

Edited by macseotips

SERIOUS damage across my empire from this recent update. From my perspective it hit on Feb 28/March 1st - and it affected nearly all my sites across the board.

I'm still waiting for SEMRush (free account) to update for March keyword positions to get a better sense of ranking position losses.

Sometimes it doesn't take much to get shoved off to Page 2 and see sharp traffic losses on what were otherwise strong sites.

From what I see on Page 1 in the Tech niche -- It's more like a "Who Got Rewarded" update than a 'penalty' per-se.

Seems a lot more Knowledge Graph data is showing up above the fold too - that can cause traffic drops for EVERYONE in the Top-10 without organic keyword positions being affected at all.

We're being told there's not a lot you can do to 'fix' your new rankings. Lower Expectations + Lower Traffic. :(

thanks for sharing.

The series of 'March Madness' Google updates is now clear: Ranking keyword losses across the web. Not just my sites - but also to many, many major authority sites as well. 

Go to SEMRush > Organic Research > 1M(onth) to see chart after chart of lost keywords affecting so many sites. Even Apple got hit.

Personally, I lost about 20%-30% of my total ranking keywords. They slowly disappeared over early March then stabilized around the 28th of March were graphs now remain flat. 

Interestingly, individual remaining keyword POSITIONS didn't move much if anything. This wasn't a PENALTY per-se. Didn't involve major ranking position losses or have anything to do with penalizing backlink profiles.

The bottom line is many short and long-tail keywords that you used to rank for may be simply gone. This is probably a function of RANK BRAIN algo's  changing. Google basically reduced the 'vocabulary' of phrases it considers important for a lot of sites.