SnaggyWoo

Backlinking for a new site that is not a local business

Hi everyone

I've only ever ranked sites in Google that are local businesses and I usually follow a plan for backlinks such as get citations, join industry bodies/professional associations in the niche then high quality guest posts and links from other local businesses.

I have started a local region blog as a side project but I am wondering how I can start getting backlinks to this new website?

I can't really get citations or links from professional associations as this is not a "brick and mortar" business. It is just an information blog about our region. 

I know that once the blog gets some low power links coming in to it I can go for high quality guest posts and aim for links from sites in my niche but how can I obtain links that are acceptable low power "starter" links that won't throw a red flag up in Google?

I know years back people used to do press releases (but they would only get published on sites that were news sites but every man and his dog had mixed articles on them - not really any "real" news sites). 

If you had a brand new informational blog what sort of links would you build to it to start off with?

Or is it acceptable to just go straight for the high quality guest posts and links from other similar niche sites? I'm just worried that Google might think it strange that a brand new site was able to get these sort of links without having other links first that were more low power? That is why I like to do the citations and professional association links if it is a "brick and mortar" business.

I really appreciate the help. Thanks so much!

The higher quality links should not be a problem especially if you are doing quality quest blogging. If you already have contacts with local sites that can get you some good links nothing wrong with going for it. One thing that will also help sell the site as local is your outbound links to sites in the geographical area you are targeting. Do not even be afraid of mixing in some local reciprical links. While they will not help you rank for any particular keywords they do send signals to Google that will lock your blog into the geographical  area you are targeting. 

So it won't be a problem that high quality links suddenly start appearing to the site without some lower quality ones first? I thought you would need some lower quality ones so it makes sense to Google that people are suddenly finding your site?

So people don't do press releases or anything like that anymore?

So it won't be a problem that high quality links suddenly start appearing to the site without some lower quality ones first? I thought you would need some lower quality ones so it makes sense to Google that people are suddenly finding your site?

I suppose it depends on what you mean by high and low quality links and how many links you are talking about. If you are talking about a lower number of links it should not matter what order you get them in as long as you mix it up a bit. If you are talking about hundreds of links then yes Google might find it odd that you have a very narrow range of link types. Press releases can still be used but you need to be more particular than you used to need to be. You want to use a good service so they actually get indexed by Google because not all of the services will do that. 

I agree it somewhat depends on your definitions of high and low quality links as they do not mean the same to everyone. You need to have a variety of link types and yes it is good to have some untargeted ones but those do not have to be low quality. For instance take blog comments. They are good to have in your link mix but there are two basic ways to use them. You can do manual "quality" comments or automated "quantity" comments but doing the later to a money site is not a good idea. 

Go for a variety of link types and make sure you include plenty of links that are not keyword targeted and you should be fine even if most or all of them come from what most would consider to be quality sites. 

Should I try something like a press release like what PR Whirlwind offers on this forum? Or will this just get me a bunch of no follow links that in 2 months time will be taken down or mysteriously disappear?

You might want to talk to him about your specific site and see what he says. He s not going to feed you a load of crap just to make another sale. 

Should I try something like a press release like what PR Whirlwind offers on this forum? Or will this just get me a bunch of no follow links that in 2 months time will be taken down or mysteriously disappear?

I have had mixed positive results with press releases. Always had at least some bump so never felt like my money was completely wasted to really good results a couple of times. They seem to work better on sites and businesses where a press release makes sense and there are already a fair number of links going to the site.

Donating to legit nonprofit organization. many of them will give you a link back as endorsement

Benefits of donating....

• Donating is good for your company’s brand. It’s a great topic to blog about and shows your audience that you are giving back. It is also a great topic for a press release.
  • Get an endorsement to your website,
  • Donations are tax deductible.

Edited by zigi