Sign in to follow this  
shyamdas

How will you neutralize a toxic link to your site?

Although removing the links from the site will break that link, it is likely that your rankings would not return to where they were before. This is because Google will wonder why the link was removed and has not option but to deduce the link was either bad or manufactured. 

It is about percentages, so the best thing you can do is build more quality links so that the percentage of toxic links are reduced. Remember that many successful sites are hit but competitors building bad backlinks to try and bring them down, but because they have such high authority and traffic, Google simply ignores those bad links.

Keep building good / quality links to your site and make sure you point those links to different pages... not just the homepage.

​Good luck

A single toxic link will not hurt you. Google knows that you can't control who links to you. What is more important is that you go about and build good links.

Good links are those that are:

• Relevant
  • Come from a trusted domain
  • Have keywords as anchor (but only partial match, and not exact match)
  • that point to either your homepage or to a specific page deeper into the site (it's good to have both)

Relevancy is crucial for you. And Domain authority and Page authority are factors you you shouldn't focus on. If a link is from related site, take it.

Over time, you will build a healthy link profile so that a few toxic links won't make you budge, never.

I hope this helps, cheers!

On 10/5/2017 at 12:02 PM, shyamdas said:

How will you neutralize a toxic link to your site?

I don't neutralize the toxic link, I just remove it by using Google Disavow Tool.