If I am going to buy a couple of SEO tools which ones should I start with?

You have the cart before the horse. Rather than buying software and finding a use for it you choose the specific task you want to automate and find the best software for the job. 

The first thing you need to do is see where you spend your time and decide which tasks you are doing that you really rather not be doing. 

What you are looking for when you start automating is what is going to give you the best return. 

Dig into exactly how much time you spend on each task on a weekly/monthly basis and look for the ones that take up a lot of time and or you just really hate doing. 

Then once you decide which tasks you want to automate you start looking for the best tools to automate those specific tasks. 

it's definitely: 

Please login or register to see this link.

for backlinks checking,

for understanding competitor web traffic,

for keywords competitors spying, and

for content marketing.

If I am going to buy a couple of SEO tools which ones should I start with?

Not exactly the response I was expecting but I do see the logic of what you guys are suggesting I do. Going to have to think about this a bit. 

Do you have a strategy in mind? Are you wanting white hat or black hat suggestions?

I see myself in you. As far as I remember, I asked that question in other forums but no replies at all from the community (sad). What I did is, I searched first for the free SEO Tools in the wild. Test all of those tools and after that, I watched videos about "Paid" SEO tools then the comparison started. The best SEO tool that make my Social Media Business page audiences skyrocket is LinkCollider. You may give time to check it. In the end, it's always up to you which one is convenient for you. Cheers man!

-Ryan

It really depends on your proficiency in SEO.

I would start with Ahrefs (if you can afford), you can:

1) Track your backlinks
2) Track your competitors backlinks (get ideas where they get their links from)
3) Track which pages of your website are ranking for which Keywords
4) It determines Keyword difficulty against how much potential traffic you can get for that keyword per month.

and plenty more.

I would also start with ScreamingFrog for technical SEO. It is free for up to 500 URL crawls (normally enough for most sites), you can:

1) Detect broken links
2) Detect 301 redirects
3) Calculate images that are over 100mb (need to compress)
4) See if you are using H1, H2s, H3s headers
5) See word count for each page
6) See if you are missing title tags and meta descriptions

7) Detect duplicate content
and more