A really good article over on the Conversion Sciences website on creating high converting videos. If you are using videos in your marketing it is something you should take a look at.

What’s the first thing visitors see when they come to your site?

If the answer isn’t a promotional video, you are probably missing out on a sizable chunk of conversions.

In addition the broad trend of increased video consumption – projected to reach 80% of all web traffic by 2019 – promotional videos in particular are having a significant impact on conversion rates across multiple industries. The addition of promo videos has led to 300% conversion increases in email blasts, 80% boosts on landing pages, and 20% improvements on ads.

But most importantly, users are 64% more likely, on average, to purchase a product after watching a related video.

Of course, not all promotional videos are created equal, so today, we’ll be looking at 5 essential qualities the highest converting videos tend to have in common.

Please login or register to see this link.

Nice article I have not done anything with videos yet. I have been thinking about it but it seems like a lot of extra work and I am not sure that it would be worth it especially since I only have so much time so I would end up not spending that time on something I am already doing. 

Is it really worth the time and the investment in equipment?

Nice article I have not done anything with videos yet. I have been thinking about it but it seems like a lot of extra work and I am not sure that it would be worth it especially since I only have so much time so I would end up not spending that time on something I am already doing. 

Is it really worth the time and the investment in equipment?

As far as time goes it is a hard call. Videos do convert better so I would lean towards yes but it is going to depend on what you are selling as well. 

As far as equipment goes you do not need to invest a lot to start with. 

For a camera to start with you can use your smart phone (get a tri-pod for it) or a halfway decent web cam. The only thing you really need is a good microphone because poor audio is really what will kill your videos more than anything. 

I use the following microphone and it works great and is only $70

As far as time goes it is a hard call. Videos do convert better so I would lean towards yes but it is going to depend on what you are selling as well. 

For a camera to start with you can use your smart phone (get a tri-pod for it) or a halfway decent web cam. The only thing you really need is a good microphone because poor audio is really what will kill your videos more than anything. 

What software are you using?

What software are you using?

Camtasia is the top of the line choice but it is pretty expensive. You might look at CamStudio which is an open source free alternative. It is actually pretty good though a little clunkier.

TechSmith (makers of Camtasia) also make a lower priced screen capture called snagit that sells for $50 which you can try for free for a couple of weeks. 

It really depends on whether you are going to be importing any video or just doing screen captures. The more you plan on doing the more complicated the software is going to be which increases the learning curve. 

So you just use a smart phone for your video rather than a video camera? The quality is good enough for that?

So you just use a smart phone for your video rather than a video camera? The quality is good enough for that?

Actually smart phones can take surprisingly good video. The big problem is memory so they do not work if you are going to make long videos. You also need to use a tripod or stand so they are stable.  

You do not want to spend a lot of money on video equipment and software until you are sure it is something you are going to be doing a lot of videos so going cheap to begin with is the best way to go. Richard is correct about audio being the most important thing you can get away with a lot as far as quality goes but if the audio sucks you are going to lose viewers very quickly. Also shoot your videos somewhere as quite as possible as that makes it easier to get the sound right.

What kind of space should we use to start with? I guess from the above comments it should be quite so the sound is good but what about the appearance? How much work should we put into the background and the area where we are shooting?

What kind of space should we use to start with? I guess from the above comments it should be quite so the sound is good but what about the appearance? How much work should we put into the background and the area where we are shooting?

I would not get too wrapped up about the background however:

It should be neat so if you are a pile person you should move them out of view. 

There should not be anything offensive in view. I include anything political in this (unless you are in a political niche) because anything political is automatically going to offend about half the people. 

There should not be anything offensive in view. I include anything political in this (unless you are in a political niche) because anything political is automatically going to offend about half the people. 

The keeping politics out of it is good advice. I remember reading about some store owner that lived in a liberal area and started pasting Republican posters all over the store and was all bent out of shape because people stopped shopping at his store yelling about freedom of speech. Yes you have the freedom to say whatever you want but that does not mean that people have to listen to you or shop at your store. It does not mean freedom from consequences. 

Yes do not do things that may well ***** off a bunch of potential clients or customers

Actually smart phones can take surprisingly good video. The big problem is memory so they do not work if you are going to make long videos. You also need to use a tripod or stand so they are stable.  

What kind of stands can you get for your smart phone? Can you use the same ones they use for cameras or do you need something special?

What kind of stands can you get for your smart phone? Can you use the same ones they use for cameras or do you need something special?

You can either buy smaller table top tripods that connect directly to your phone or an adapter that lets you connect to a regular camera tripod. There may be large tripods that hook directly to the phone but I have not seen them. I have both and it has been awhile but I do not think I spent much more than $25 for both the small tripod and the adapter. 

You can either buy smaller table top tripods that connect directly to your phone or an adapter that lets you connect to a regular camera tripod. There may be large tripods that hook directly to the phone but I have not seen them. I have both and it has been awhile but I do not think I spent much more than $25 for both the small tripod and the adapter. 

So you can get started for about $100 in hardware assuming you use your phone camera. What about lighting and all that? Do you do anything special? What about using the webcam on your computer? I know that some people do that which would save a some money. 

So you can get started for about $100 in hardware assuming you use your phone camera. What about lighting and all that? Do you do anything special? What about using the webcam on your computer? I know that some people do that which would save a some money. 

Most of my videos are screen captures and for regular videos I just use a couple different lamps for lighting, if you get serious about it there is lot of lighting equipment out there but that is an expense I would wait until you are producing enough income to be worth doing.  I do not have a webcam hooked up to my computer so can not help you there, I have an old one laying around that I have used a few times but it is in a drawer somewhere. 

They talk about lighting in the article and from looking at the diagram I see no real reason you would need any special expensive lights just 3 to make sure you can be seen and standout ok. 

Thanks for all the great info both in the article and the rest of the thread. Been considering doing some videos but did not want to spend a bunch of money to try it out and was thinking I was going to have to do so. Now I know that is not the case. 

That sounds cheap enough I will see what I can find. Did you get them off Amazon or a specialty site?

You do not want to spend a lot of money on video equipment and software until you are sure it is something you are going to be doing a lot of videos so going cheap to begin with is the best way to go. Richard is correct about audio being the most important thing you can get away with a lot as far as quality goes but if the audio sucks you are going to lose viewers very quickly. Also shoot your videos somewhere as quite as possible as that makes it easier to get the sound right.

I have been looking into using videos and ran across the following post it is targeted at iphones but other than the software the info should also apply to android phones. 

Most of my videos are screen captures and for regular videos I just use a couple different lamps for lighting, if you get serious about it there is lot of lighting equipment out there but that is an expense I would wait until you are producing enough income to be worth doing.  I do not have a webcam hooked up to my computer so can not help you there, I have an old one laying around that I have used a few times but it is in a drawer somewhere. 

Thanks for all the great advice. Going to give the video thing a try and see how it works out.