• Create Account

Hey Guest, Welcome to Traffic Planet!

Sign up today in order to gain access to a vast range of features including the ability to create new topics, send private messages, Facebook & Twitter integration and MUCH more!

• RSS Feed
  •  

WPX Hosting by Terry Kyle

WPX Hosting – owned by Traffic Planet founder, Terry Kyle - is the ONLY hosting service recommended by Thrive Themes) – use promo code WPX-LOVES-TRAFFIC-PLANET for $1 first month (‘Business Plan’)

10 Reasons Why WPX Hosting Should Be Your Managed WordPress Hosting Provider:

1. Staging Area w/- UNIQUE functionality – merge your Staging site version with the Live site version WITHOUT losing new blog comments or post/page changes on the Live site since the Staging version was created
    2. WPX Hosting’s 24/7/365 Support Team AVERAGE under 30 seconds response time, according to Live Chat Inc (the independent live chat platform used by WPX Hosting)
    3. “FIXED FOR YOU” Guarantee: Unlike old-school hosting company support that sends you a link to an article when you get into technical trouble & expects you to fix the issue, we do it for you, FAST & FREE (and we can still send you an article link if you want!). WPX Hosting is like your own F1 pit crew, ready 24/7/365 to get your technical problems resolved fast.
    4. SUPERFAST high-end new SSD servers deliberately UNDERloaded for high performance under extreme traffic loads (e.g. email marketing broadcasts, product launches)
    5. UNLIMITED Free Google-Sponsored SSL Certificates Installed & Active In Under 10 Seconds (Watch Video Here)
    6. PHP 7.X Enabled (Plus Earlier Versions) + http2 enabled + enterprise-level Incapsula DDOS protection on ALL plans
    7. Unlimited FREE Site Migration from your current host to WPX Hosting Within 24 Hours, 7 Days A Week
    8. Fully Managed WordPress Hosting With FREE Email Included (Unlike Many Others)
    9. US servers Located In The World's Largest Datacenter Along With America's Financial Infrastructure, UK servers in London too.
    10. WPX Hosting Is Trusted With 50 Million+ Page Views Every Month

How video impacts mobile web performance and UX

Mobile Video Video Marketing Video SEO Mobile SEO Mobile Web Design Mobile UX

• Please log in to reply
    22 replies to this topic

#1 _Richard

_Richard

Forum Moderator

• Forum Support
    • posts 7,483
    • LocationNW Arkansas

Posted 04 June 2017 - 10:04 PM

An excellent three part series of articles over on Search Engine Watch on using video for mobile. 

Mobile video is great. When it works.

Implemented correctly, video or audio *should not* impact the speed that pages load on a mobile device and when the play button is pressed, it needs to start quickly and work well.

Video content is top of the agenda for many brands. It is proving a great way to engage customers and visitors, but when viewed on mobile devices, particularly those on cellular connection, video (and to a lesser extent audio) should come with a health warning.

Users are increasingly impatient with slow-to-load and stalling video and will start to abandon a video after waiting just two seconds, research from UMass and Akamai shows.

This column, the first of three parts, will take a close look at how and why video affects page performance. In the second part, we’ll look at the impact of video autoplay and audio on page performance, as well as what makes a poor viewer experience (VX).

Finally, we’ll explore how to detect, avoid and remedy issues to prevent users tuning out.

How video impacts mobile web performance and UX, part 1: data and download speed

How video impacts mobile web performance and UX, part 2: autoplay and audio

How video impacts mobile web performance and UX, part 3: detecting and remedying issues

Sometimes I have a link in my signature to a product. If I do assume it is an affiliate link and I might make a couple of bucks off it...................................

All My Forum Topics

#2 LutherAB

LutherAB

• posts 31

Posted 10 September 2017 - 04:34 PM

These are a great set of posts, surprised that there has not been more action in the thread. With mobile and video becoming more important this is the kind of info we need more of to stay ahead of the game. 

#3 anastasia romanov

anastasia romanov

• posts 60

Posted 12 September 2017 - 10:20 PM

A lot of mobile providers are throttling video playback speeds so that is something that you need to keep in mind when targeting video at mobile users. 

#4 Kali DJ

Kali DJ

• posts 67

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:34 PM

A lot of mobile providers are throttling video playback speeds so that is something that you need to keep in mind when targeting video at mobile users. 

What mobile providers are doing that?

#5 The New Matt

The New Matt

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
    • posts 138

Posted 14 September 2017 - 12:46 PM

Pretty sure Verison does it and I do not think they are the only ones. 

#6 Adolfo Turgeon

Adolfo Turgeon

• posts 46

Posted 17 September 2017 - 07:30 PM

As important as mobile is getting these articles are very useful. 

#7 Morrill

Morrill

• posts 31

Posted 19 September 2017 - 02:32 AM

The worst thing is when sites have the videos set to autoplay. As soon as that starts I leave the site, if they are going to be that annoying before I even have a chance to check out there site I sure as hell am not going to spend any time or money with them. 

#8 Indiana Joe

Indiana Joe

• posts 35

Posted 19 September 2017 - 10:05 PM

The worst thing is when sites have the videos set to autoplay. As soon as that starts I leave the site, if they are going to be that annoying before I even have a chance to check out there site I sure as hell am not going to spend any time or money with them. 

It is my understanding that at least for mobile sites Google is penalizing sites that have auto playing or other intrusive ads on their sites. Since they are going to move to mobile results next year I would assume that it will affect desktop search results as well. 

#9 GaryCapps

GaryCapps

• posts 35

Posted 21 September 2017 - 02:23 AM

It is my understanding that at least for mobile sites Google is penalizing sites that have auto playing or other intrusive ads on their sites. Since they are going to move to mobile results next year I would assume that it will affect desktop search results as well. 

Yet Google is testing auto playing video results for mobile search. Does not make much sense to say auto playing videos are bad then turn around and do it. 

#10 Zink

Zink

• posts 29

Posted 21 September 2017 - 07:21 PM

Yet Google is testing auto playing video results for mobile search. Does not make much sense to say auto playing videos are bad then turn around and do it. 

Not the first time google has had a do as I say not as I do thing going on and probably will not be the last. 

#11 JoeB

JoeB

• posts 87

Posted 01 October 2017 - 03:56 PM

From a targeting standpoint I do not really think it is an issue. In all honestly can you really tell if a video has been downgraded to 720 from 1080 when looking at it on your phone? I would say most people can not, I know I can't.  Other than  taking a look at your video in a lower reselution to make sure nothing is missing there is not really anything to worry about when creating your videos. 

I believe ATT does it as well on some plans. 

#12 Andre Wains

Andre Wains

• posts 15

Posted 03 October 2017 - 08:49 PM

When Google moves to the mobile index next year does that mean we are going to see the exact same results on the desktop that we do on mobile?

#13 _Richard

_Richard

Forum Moderator

• Forum Support
    • posts 7,483
    • LocationNW Arkansas

Posted 04 October 2017 - 08:00 PM

When Google moves to the mobile index next year does that mean we are going to see the exact same results on the desktop that we do on mobile?

Short answer is yes...

The long answer is sort of. Keep in mind that Google is making mobile results very location specific for local searches so you are going to see differences there. For non-local searches it is my understanding that yes they will be the same. Not something that I would engrave in stone yet but that is how I understand it at this point in time. 

Sometimes I have a link in my signature to a product. If I do assume it is an affiliate link and I might make a couple of bucks off it...................................

All My Forum Topics

#14 SoRene

SoRene

• posts 50

Posted 05 October 2017 - 02:18 PM

Short answer is yes...

The long answer is sort of. Keep in mind that Google is making mobile results very location specific for local searches so you are going to see differences there. For non-local searches it is my understanding that yes they will be the same. Not something that I would engrave in stone yet but that is how I understand it at this point in time. 

Quite a bit of waffling going on there. 

Do you know just how specific Google is targeting the local results? 

#15 _Richard

_Richard

Forum Moderator

• Forum Support
    • posts 7,483
    • LocationNW Arkansas

Posted 05 October 2017 - 03:23 PM

Not so much waffling as being clear on the difference between what I know and what I think. Way too much information gets spread on SEO/IM forums as "FACT" when it is no such thing. I always try to make it clear exactly how much confidence I have in what I am saying and call out others on the forum when they do not do so. 

As far as the mobile index that Google is going to start using next year nobody really knows exactly how it is going to shake until it actually rolls out and anyone telling you different is lying. We only know what Google is telling us but Google has lied before and will lie again. Even if you want to give Google the benefit of the doubt they could just plain change what they are going to do because what they want to do will not work correctly.  We will not KNOW until it actually happens.

As far as local results go Google is targeting them to very specific locations of in some cases less than a mile. This I have personally tested by doing searches moving a few blocks over and doing the same search again and getting different closer results. 

All My Forum Topics

#16 Top Ranker

Top Ranker

• posts 80

Posted 05 October 2017 - 04:13 PM

Check out #7

https://trafficplanet.com/topic/4578-read-this-before-your-next-post-things-to-think-about-before-posting-in-the-forum/

#17 Andre Wains

Andre Wains

• posts 15

Posted 05 October 2017 - 10:32 PM

Short answer is yes...

I can see the local being mobile orientated but not understanding why the non local desktop searches are going to be as well.  

#18 _Richard

_Richard

Forum Moderator

• Forum Support
    • posts 7,483
    • LocationNW Arkansas

Posted 06 October 2017 - 03:29 PM

I can see the local being mobile orientated but not understanding why the non local desktop searches are going to be as well.  

The main reason seems to be that Google does not want to carry two completely separate indexes. I would imagine doing so increases their costs quite a bit, probably not double but I would guess the dollar amount is substantial. Also the desktop search numbers are dropping rapidly so that extra cost would be for a fast shrinking percentage of the search market. 

All My Forum Topics

#19 The New Matt

The New Matt

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
    • posts 138

Posted 08 October 2017 - 02:18 PM

Did not seem like waffling to me  but more being clear

#20 Andre Wains

Andre Wains

• posts 15

Posted 10 October 2017 - 12:37 AM

The main reason seems to be that Google does not want to carry two completely separate indexes. I would imagine doing so increases their costs quite a bit, probably not double but I would guess the dollar amount is substantial. Also the desktop search numbers are dropping rapidly so that extra cost would be for a fast shrinking percentage of the search market. 

I guess it usually does come down to money.