An excellent three part series of articles over on Search Engine Watch on using video for mobile. 

Mobile video is great. When it works.

Implemented correctly, video or audio *should not* impact the speed that pages load on a mobile device and when the play button is pressed, it needs to start quickly and work well.

Video content is top of the agenda for many brands. It is proving a great way to engage customers and visitors, but when viewed on mobile devices, particularly those on cellular connection, video (and to a lesser extent audio) should come with a health warning.

Users are increasingly impatient with slow-to-load and stalling video and will start to abandon a video after waiting just two seconds, research from UMass and Akamai shows.

This column, the first of three parts, will take a close look at how and why video affects page performance. In the second part, we’ll look at the impact of video autoplay and audio on page performance, as well as what makes a poor viewer experience (VX).

Finally, we’ll explore how to detect, avoid and remedy issues to prevent users tuning out.

Please login or register to see this link.

These are a great set of posts, surprised that there has not been more action in the thread. With mobile and video becoming more important this is the kind of info we need more of to stay ahead of the game. 

The worst thing is when sites have the videos set to autoplay. As soon as that starts I leave the site, if they are going to be that annoying before I even have a chance to check out there site I sure as hell am not going to spend any time or money with them. 

The worst thing is when sites have the videos set to autoplay. As soon as that starts I leave the site, if they are going to be that annoying before I even have a chance to check out there site I sure as hell am not going to spend any time or money with them. 

It is my understanding that at least for mobile sites Google is penalizing sites that have auto playing or other intrusive ads on their sites. Since they are going to move to mobile results next year I would assume that it will affect desktop search results as well. 

It is my understanding that at least for mobile sites Google is penalizing sites that have auto playing or other intrusive ads on their sites. Since they are going to move to mobile results next year I would assume that it will affect desktop search results as well. 

Yet Google is testing auto playing video results for mobile search. Does not make much sense to say auto playing videos are bad then turn around and do it. 

Yet Google is testing auto playing video results for mobile search. Does not make much sense to say auto playing videos are bad then turn around and do it. 

Not the first time google has had a do as I say not as I do thing going on and probably will not be the last. 

A lot of mobile providers are throttling video playback speeds so that is something that you need to keep in mind when targeting video at mobile users. 

From a targeting standpoint I do not really think it is an issue. In all honestly can you really tell if a video has been downgraded to 720 from 1080 when looking at it on your phone? I would say most people can not, I know I can't.  Other than  taking a look at your video in a lower reselution to make sure nothing is missing there is not really anything to worry about when creating your videos. 

What mobile providers are doing that?

I believe ATT does it as well on some plans. 

When Google moves to the mobile index next year does that mean we are going to see the exact same results on the desktop that we do on mobile?

When Google moves to the mobile index next year does that mean we are going to see the exact same results on the desktop that we do on mobile?

Short answer is yes...

The long answer is sort of. Keep in mind that Google is making mobile results very location specific for local searches so you are going to see differences there. For non-local searches it is my understanding that yes they will be the same. Not something that I would engrave in stone yet but that is how I understand it at this point in time. 

Short answer is yes...

The long answer is sort of. Keep in mind that Google is making mobile results very location specific for local searches so you are going to see differences there. For non-local searches it is my understanding that yes they will be the same. Not something that I would engrave in stone yet but that is how I understand it at this point in time. 

Quite a bit of waffling going on there. 

Do you know just how specific Google is targeting the local results? 

Quite a bit of waffling going on there. 

Do you know just how specific Google is targeting the local results? 

Not so much waffling as being clear on the difference between what I know and what I think. Way too much information gets spread on SEO/IM forums as "FACT" when it is no such thing. I always try to make it clear exactly how much confidence I have in what I am saying and call out others on the forum when they do not do so. 

As far as the mobile index that Google is going to start using next year nobody really knows exactly how it is going to shake until it actually rolls out and anyone telling you different is lying. We only know what Google is telling us but Google has lied before and will lie again. Even if you want to give Google the benefit of the doubt they could just plain change what they are going to do because what they want to do will not work correctly.  We will not KNOW until it actually happens.

As far as local results go Google is targeting them to very specific locations of in some cases less than a mile. This I have personally tested by doing searches moving a few blocks over and doing the same search again and getting different closer results. 

Short answer is yes...

I can see the local being mobile orientated but not understanding why the non local desktop searches are going to be as well.  

I can see the local being mobile orientated but not understanding why the non local desktop searches are going to be as well.  

The main reason seems to be that Google does not want to carry two completely separate indexes. I would imagine doing so increases their costs quite a bit, probably not double but I would guess the dollar amount is substantial. Also the desktop search numbers are dropping rapidly so that extra cost would be for a fast shrinking percentage of the search market. 

The main reason seems to be that Google does not want to carry two completely separate indexes. I would imagine doing so increases their costs quite a bit, probably not double but I would guess the dollar amount is substantial. Also the desktop search numbers are dropping rapidly so that extra cost would be for a fast shrinking percentage of the search market. 

I guess it usually does come down to money. 

Not so much waffling as being clear on the difference between what I know and what I think. Way too much information gets spread on SEO/IM forums as "FACT" when it is no such thing. I always try to make it clear exactly how much confidence I have in what I am saying and call out others on the forum when they do not do so. 

As far as the mobile index that Google is going to start using next year nobody really knows exactly how it is going to shake until it actually rolls out and anyone telling you different is lying. We only know what Google is telling us but Google has lied before and will lie again. Even if you want to give Google the benefit of the doubt they could just plain change what they are going to do because what they want to do will not work correctly.  We will not KNOW until it actually happens.

As far as local results go Google is targeting them to very specific locations of in some cases less than a mile. This I have personally tested by doing searches moving a few blocks over and doing the same search again and getting different closer results. 

With the results changing from block to block like that is there a good way that we can check our local results?