• Create Account

Hey Guest, Welcome to Traffic Planet!

Sign up today in order to gain access to a vast range of features including the ability to create new topics, send private messages, Facebook & Twitter integration and MUCH more!

• RSS Feed

• CloudBoss.pro

2017 Link Building Strategy

• Please log in to reply
    17 replies to this topic

#1 snowcake

snowcake

• posts 13

Posted 01 April 2017 - 09:57 PM

Hi everyone,

I used to do SEO a few years back but of course things have changed since then.

I am launching a brand new site (not aged domain) and am wondering what is the best link building strategy to use?

I used to use a variety of:

- article links,

- web 2.0 link wheels,

- forum signature links,

- contextual profile links,

- PDF links

- blog comments (scrapebox) for tier 2 links

However, I know this approach is no good for 2017, so wondering where to start in terms of what kind of backlink sources I should be using?

I know a lot of people use PBNs but I don't want to go down that route. What types of backlinks are effective for 2017?

I am thinking:

- niche relevant

- contextual

- high authority sites 

But this leaves me with only guest posting and PBNs as potential link sources? Anything else?

What would you guys recommend? 

Thanks

#2 _Richard

_Richard

Forum Moderator

• Forum Support
    • posts 6,413
    • LocationNW Arkansas

Posted 02 April 2017 - 03:46 AM

Stay away from the link wheels and any scrapebox or other low quality link spam should be at least on the 3rd tier. 

You can still use the web 2.0 sites but you will need to build them up rather than just using mass numbers of them. More quality than quantity. 

Look at other sites that are ranking in your niche and try to get links from them. You obviously are not going to get many from the sites on the first page but look at those sites starting at page two that are probably not being monetized all that well. They can be a good source for links. 

Do not forget social media links they can be a useful part of the mix. 

Forum profiles are not really going to do much for you but signature and post links can be helpful plus they drive direct traffic as well. 

As much as possible try and get links that both drive direct traffic and look good for SEO purposes. If a link is going to drive traffic the chance of it being useful for SEO is pretty high. 

Blog commenting on related blogs works as well especially on blogs that are moderated or limit the link spam in some way. 

Sometimes I have a link in my signature to a product. If I do assume it is an affiliate link and I might make a couple of bucks off it...................................

#3 MireySharpe

MireySharpe

• posts 39

Posted 02 April 2017 - 07:23 PM

I am going to mostly agree with Richard's point about building links for direct traffic and seo except I would say build your links primarily for direct traffic generation and not really worry so much about the seo as that will end up taking care of itself. I created 3 new sites last year and went for the direct traffic on all of them and all were profitable fairly quickly and all ended up ranking well for at least some of the keywords I was targeting.  The first time I really saw this method suggested was the thread that Matt Woodward did about building traffic to his blog and since it worked very well for him I decided to give it a try and it does indeed work. 

The 2 main benefits as I see them are that you start getting traffic earlier rather than not getting any until you start ranking and you are getting traffic from many places so you are not dependent on any one source.

I think this is even a better idea now than it has been as search is continuing to fragment with regular desktop results being split into mobile results and different results showing depending on location even for non local search terms, and now we have voice search (check out the threads here in the forum) starting to take a growing percentage of search results. The days of just ranking for a keyword for a single large percentage of the searches is coming to an end. 

#4 _Richard

_Richard

Forum Moderator

• Forum Support
    • posts 6,413
    • LocationNW Arkansas

Posted 02 April 2017 - 09:09 PM

MireyS made some good points on going after direct traffic first with SEO links as a secondary objective.  One tool that is good for that is buzzbundle ( We use it daily for link building/traffic generation) and Matt has a good tutorial on using it to drive traffic and links  http://www.matthewwoodward.co.uk/reviews/buzzbundle-review-how-i-drive-traffic-to-my-blog/ ). 

Sometimes I have a link in my signature to a product. If I do assume it is an affiliate link and I might make a couple of bucks off it...................................

#5 ValentinaZ

ValentinaZ

• posts 12

Posted 03 April 2017 - 01:29 AM

Do not forget about your onsite factors. They are more important than they used to be. 

#6 braveluke

braveluke

• Banned
    • posts 1

Posted 03 April 2017 - 12:35 PM

Stay away from the link wheels and any scrapebox or other low quality link spam should be at least on the 3rd tier. 

You can still use the web 2.0 sites but you will need to build them up rather than just using mass numbers of them. More quality than quantity. 

Look at other sites that are ranking in your niche and try to get links from them. You obviously are not going to get many from the sites on the first page but look at those sites starting at page two that are probably not being monetized all that well. They can be a good source for links. 

Do not forget social media links they can be a useful part of the mix. 

Forum profiles are not really going to do much for you but signature and post links can be helpful plus they drive direct traffic as well. 

As much as possible try and get links that both drive direct traffic and look good for SEO purposes. If a link is going to drive traffic the chance of it being useful for SEO is pretty high. 

Blog commenting on related blogs works as well especially on blogs that are moderated or limit the link spam in some way. 

This is very detailed guide. However, I want to say something about No-follow links, they could be vital in the part in my opinion. As they can help you get more traffics which can help improve Google mark for your sites much. Focus on keyword density and Wiki too.

#7 DannielD

DannielD

• posts 35

Posted 03 April 2017 - 07:29 PM

This is very detailed guide. However, I want to say something about No-follow links, they could be vital in the part in my opinion. As they can help you get more traffics which can help improve Google mark for your sites much. Focus on keyword density and Wiki too.

If your primary goal is direct traffic than follow/nofollow really has no bearing on the links at all. Nobody checks a link before clicking on it so it really only matters to the google bots. 

#8 snowcake

snowcake

• posts 13

Posted 03 April 2017 - 10:50 PM

_Richard

"As much as possible try and get links that both drive direct traffic and look good for SEO purposes. If a link is going to drive traffic the chance of it being useful for SEO is pretty high."

Thanks for that, it's an approach I have never tried before and it might be difficult for this particular niche, but a good suggestion though :)

"One tool that is good for that is buzzbundle ( We use it daily for link building/traffic generation)"

Cool thanks, I heard about that tool before but never tried it. Will definitely check out the vid, thanks :)

--

MireSharpe
    "I created 3 new sites last year and went for the direct traffic on all of them and all were profitable fairly quickly and all ended up ranking well for at least some of the keywords I was targeting"

Thanks, I definitely will give this apporach a try, though for this particular niche it might be tricky.

I noticed that about voice search, very very interesting. I don't use voice search myself so it's good to see that info :)

--

Valentina:
    "Do not forget about your onsite factors"

thanks buddy, I also do my onpage SEO :)

I did only onpage seo for a client a few months back and he is now in position 11, with 0 backlinks, so
    it does work :)

--

Braveluke:
    Thanks buddy, I always use both do follow and no follow to appear natural :)

Never tried Wiki links, not even sure what they are tbh

--

Thanks a lot guys :)

#9 Public One

Public One

• posts 2

Posted 04 April 2017 - 07:36 PM

MireyS made some good points on going after direct traffic first with SEO links as a secondary objective.  One tool that is good for that is buzzbundle ( We use it daily for link building/traffic generation) and Matt has a good tutorial on using it to drive traffic and links  http://www.matthewwoodward.co.uk/reviews/buzzbundle-review-how-i-drive-traffic-to-my-blog/ ). 

I looked at buzzbundle and it is $199. Is it really worth buying at that price? 

#10 AdrianV

AdrianV

• posts 18

Posted 14 April 2017 - 01:02 AM

I am also interested if it is really worth $200 as that seems fairly expensive. 

#11 D rocs

D rocs

• posts 26

Posted 14 April 2017 - 03:11 AM

I purchased it a couple of years ago and it has been worth the money to me. Like most tools you have to use it or it is wasted so if you are not going to be willing to set some time aside to use it regularly then you will find it a waste of money.

#12 _Richard

_Richard

Forum Moderator

• Forum Support
    • posts 6,413
    • LocationNW Arkansas

Posted 14 April 2017 - 04:30 PM

Sorry somehow I missed your question...

Yes I think so, I currently have two licences. However if you are not in a hurry get on their mailing list by downloading the free test version and wait until Christmas/New Years and they always run a special around the end of the year. I think I got my second one for half price that way.  

#13 DaneSCorby

DaneSCorby

• posts 19

Posted 17 April 2017 - 03:21 AM

How much time does it take on a daily basis to use it effectively?

#14 BlackFox

BlackFox

• posts 20

Posted 17 April 2017 - 08:28 PM

I own and use it and it is worth the money in time saved. 

I spend about 1 1/2 hours a day using it for 3 sites so about 30 mins a site.  It does take longer at first as you tweak it to fit how you work and your sites. I would plan on spending an hour a day or so at first and as you get it tweaked and better at using it that time will come down. 

#15 _Richard

_Richard

Forum Moderator

• Forum Support
    • posts 6,413
    • LocationNW Arkansas

Posted 17 April 2017 - 10:44 PM

I think we average about 3 hours per week per site so the above estimate sounds about right. As noted there is a learning curve for the software itself as well as getting the individual sites and keywords dialed in so expect to spend more time in the beginning. 

#16 DannielD

DannielD

• posts 35

Posted 21 April 2017 - 02:12 AM

very much so but if you want to wait they always have sales at the end of the year. I think last black friday it was on sale for $79

#17 MireySharpe

MireySharpe

• posts 39

Posted 27 April 2017 - 09:31 PM

very much so but if you want to wait they always have sales at the end of the year. I think last black friday it was on sale for $79

Well that is a pretty big discount. I am going to be downloading the free version and checking it out but I may well wait for a special if they discount that much. 

#18 NickiZZ

NickiZZ

• posts 4

Posted Yesterday, 10:14 PM

Well that is a pretty big discount. I am going to be downloading the free version and checking it out but I may well wait for a special if they discount that much.

I downloaded the free version and it is pretty hobbled. You can see how the full version would be useful but it is fairly hard to get much actual work done with the free version.