Are you giving the visitors to your landing pages enough information? What assumptions are you making? How can you find out by asking one simple question?

A first impression is everything. That’s why most products’ landing pages aim to communicate their product’s mission at a glance.

If a landing page doesn’t prompt a lead to become a customer, it often means something got lost along the way—a customer reached the page expecting one thing, but they got something else. So when you figure out why leads’ expectations aren’t being met, you’ll get those conversion numbers up.

Hootsuite, the most widely used social media management platform, was able to get to the bottom of this problem with one on-site survey question. Here’s how.

Please login or register to see this link.

Well you know what they say about ass/u/me.

Getting more information about what our visitors are looking for when they come to our sites is always a good idea. 

So true about assuming but we all do it anyway. 

Getting more information is generally better however the  key takeaway here is the "knowledge assumption" where we assume a level of knowledge about what is going on that our visitors do not have.   That is why when I put websites or sales funnels together I try and test them using people with as little knowledge of what is going on as possible. You need to make sure your stuff works with low information visitors. 

So true about assuming but we all do it anyway. 

Getting more information is generally better however the  key takeaway here is the "knowledge assumption" where we assume a level of knowledge about what is going on that our visitors do not have.   That is why when I put websites or sales funnels together I try and test them using people with as little knowledge of what is going on as possible. You need to make sure your stuff works with low information visitors.

I am somewhat surprised taht it made such a difference, you would think that the people going to a hootsuite page would have knowledge of what they were looking at.

Does testing make that much of a difference if you are not targeting those low information visitors?

I am somewhat surprised taht it made such a difference, you would think that the people going to a hootsuite page would have knowledge of what they were looking at.

Does testing make that much of a difference if you are not targeting those low information visitors?

You obviously are not the only one or hootsuite would started asking questions right from the start. The thing is that we all do it to one extent or another. Because we know something we assume that most other people know it as well. When you are selling services or even products this is a bad thing to do because most of the time that assumption is wrong. Most people do NOT know what you or I know so the better assumption to make is that your target audience is lacking most of your knowledge and put your sales pages together thinking that.  

Well you know what they say about ass/u/me.

Getting more information about what our visitors are looking for when they come to our sites is always a good idea. 

It does it really does. Getting real information is always the best thing to do but so many people assume they have a good idea or great website only to find out after spending large amounts of money that their ideas were not selling. 

Well I would guess that Hootsuite is not really targeting low information visitors and it made a big difference for them.

Making assumptions about your visitors without any solid information to back it up very rarely ends well.

I would not think that most people going to the hootsuite site are low information visitors. If so they are doing a really bad job of targeting their ads and marketing which I doubt is the case. Since that is the case then yes I think testing is something that everyone should be doing and really what is the downside to testing? The worst you are out is some time and the upside could be very big so it seems worth doing to me. 

I would not think that most people going to the hootsuite site are low information visitors. If so they are doing a really bad job of targeting their ads and marketing which I doubt is the case. Since that is the case then yes I think testing is something that everyone should be doing and really what is the downside to testing? The worst you are out is some time and the upside could be very big so it seems worth doing to me. 

Very true not really any risk vs possibly a big reward which is a good argument for doing some testing.