• Create Account

Hey Guest, Welcome to Traffic Planet!

Sign up today in order to gain access to a vast range of features including the ability to create new topics, send private messages, Facebook & Twitter integration and MUCH more!

• RSS Feed
  • Update: 11 Jan 2017 Foot in the Door (non-SEO) Local Marketing Services

local marketing sms marketing mobile marketing loyalty marketing Birthday marketing Facebook marketing social media marketing

• Please log in to reply
    58 replies to this topic

#41 _Richard

_Richard

Forum Moderator

• Forum Support
    • posts 6,048
    • LocationNW Arkansas

Posted 10 January 2017 - 03:23 AM

So you are selling but not selling? That seems like a contradiction to me, not sure I understand what you mean. 

I collect information from them, come up with a plan and then explain what I can do to help them, answer any questions, and then let them decide if they think it will work for them. I do not try and convince or talk them into going ahead and hiring me. If they think it will work for them we close the deal, if not then I move on to someone/something else. 

I could probably close more if I did a hard sell but I really do not want to be working with people that I have to convince to work with me. Lower closing rates but in return better relationships and a much higher retention rate. 

I will occasionally offer a trial though not as often as I used to and even then I get something for it as if they do not close the list/leads are mine and I can always put them to good use so I still get something for my time. 

Sometimes I have a link in my signature to a product. If I do assume it is an affiliate link and I might make a couple of bucks off it...................................

#42 The New Matt

The New Matt

• posts 33

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:31 PM

I will occasionally offer a trial though not as often as I used to and even then I get something for it as if they do not close the list/leads are mine and I can always put them to good use so I still get something for my time.

How do you setup trials so you can keep the list if they cancel?

#43 _Richard

_Richard

Forum Moderator

• Forum Support
    • posts 6,048
    • LocationNW Arkansas

Posted 11 January 2017 - 04:10 AM

How do you setup trials so you can keep the list if they cancel?

I explain to the upfront what is going to happen before we get started, it is not something I hit them with after the fact. 

I honestly do not do it very often. I mostly use it with smaller mom and pop operations that are interested but are somewhat scared of spending money on something new. I also need to feel like we could have a good working relationship moving forward. It is basically "lets do this and you will see what I am talking about" kind of thing. We setup a cheap way to add people to an SMS list and then do so for a few weeks or so and then we pick out a time and date and send out an ad and see the results. Low cost on my end, I am out an hour or so of time and my actual cost is $20 tops so either way I come out OK and I have only had somebody decide not to continue once. Packing your restaurant on a slow Monday night generally has a good result for everyone involved. 

Sometimes I have a link in my signature to a product. If I do assume it is an affiliate link and I might make a couple of bucks off it...................................

#44 _Richard

_Richard

Forum Moderator

• Forum Support
    • posts 6,048
    • LocationNW Arkansas

Posted 11 January 2017 - 05:29 PM

New update for those following the thread. 

https://trafficplanet.com/topic/10983-update-11-jan-2017-foot-in-the-door-non-seo-local-marketing-services/?p=107071

#45 Kali DJ

Kali DJ

• posts 8

Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:49 PM

you use restaurants as an example quite a lot are they the best businesses to target or does your programs work with other businesses just as good?

#46 The New Matt

The New Matt

• posts 33

Posted 11 January 2017 - 11:14 PM

I explain to the upfront what is going to happen before we get started, it is not something I hit them with after the fact. 

I honestly do not do it very often. I mostly use it with smaller mom and pop operations that are interested but are somewhat scared of spending money on something new. I also need to feel like we could have a good working relationship moving forward. It is basically "lets do this and you will see what I am talking about" kind of thing. We setup a cheap way to add people to an SMS list and then do so for a few weeks or so and then we pick out a time and date and send out an ad and see the results. Low cost on my end, I am out an hour or so of time and my actual cost is $20 tops so either way I come out OK and I have only had somebody decide not to continue once. Packing your restaurant on a slow Monday night generally has a good result for everyone involved. 

I was more thinking about how you actually setup a list for a business so that you can either keep it or give it to them. 

#47 _Richard

_Richard

Forum Moderator

• Forum Support
    • posts 6,048
    • LocationNW Arkansas

Posted 12 January 2017 - 03:37 AM

you use restaurants as an example quite a lot are they the best businesses to target or does your programs work with other businesses just as good?

Yes sms/mobile marketing works just fine with other businesses besides restaurants. I do tend to focus quite a bit on restaurants for a few reasons. First off there are a lot of them, you see a lot more restaurants than nail salons, gyms, and beauty salons. Second because they tend to have higher foot traffic (number of daily customers) you can get quicker results. It may take a nail salon a couple of months to work up a decent sized list to work with but a lot of times I can get the same size list at a pizza shop in 2-3 weeks. You get the same results with both but one takes longer. Third I have experience with restaurants as I was an area manager for a chain for several years before deciding that the hours suck and I started working for myself and moved online. This helps as I speak the same language, know what they need, and know what what works which generally makes the conversations go easier. 

#48 _Richard

_Richard

Forum Moderator

• Forum Support
    • posts 6,048
    • LocationNW Arkansas

Posted 12 January 2017 - 03:43 AM

I was more thinking about how you actually setup a list for a business so that you can either keep it or give it to them. 

OK. All the businesses have a separate list so to start with I do everything the same. I handle all the campaigns for all the clients so the free trial is not any different. If someone decides not to go forward after the trial and I can either keep the list separate and use it to target another similar business or I can roll them up into my marketing discounts list (which I have not talked about yet but will) with an opt-in. I have only had one person decide not to stick after the trial so it is not really something that I have had to worry about.

All clients get their own number or short codes so there is not any overlap on the lists at all. Basically the same as the email lists we are all familiar with.  

#49 Olivia 88

Olivia 88

• posts 5

Posted 12 January 2017 - 04:55 PM

How much time do you need to spend each month running the campaigns and how much do you charge?

#50 VidalQC

VidalQC

• posts 2

Posted 12 January 2017 - 08:26 PM

I am not very clear on the "foot in the door" aspect of the thread. you have laid out a few services that you do which do sound workable but not seeing the flow from your initial service to where you want to be in the end. 

#51 The New Matt

The New Matt

• posts 33

Posted 13 January 2017 - 01:07 AM

OK. All the businesses have a separate list so to start with I do everything the same. I handle all the campaigns for all the clients so the free trial is not any different. If someone decides not to go forward after the trial and I can either keep the list separate and use it to target another similar business or I can roll them up into my marketing discounts list (which I have not talked about yet but will) with an opt-in. I have only had one person decide not to stick after the trial so it is not really something that I have had to worry about.

All clients get their own number or short codes so there is not any overlap on the lists at all. Basically the same as the email lists we are all familiar with.  

How do you setup your mobile lists in general? I guess I am curious on how steep the learning curve is setting everythign up. 

#52 _Richard

_Richard

Forum Moderator

• Forum Support
    • posts 6,048
    • LocationNW Arkansas

Posted 13 January 2017 - 04:17 AM

How much time do you need to spend each month running the campaigns and how much do you charge?

It varies a bit depending on the exact type of offer and campaign we are doing. My monthly charges for sms campaigns generally run from $199-$599 with a one-time $199-$399 setup fee.

As far as time goes the initial setup usually takes 30-60 minutes and maybe another hour working on the clients side. The monthly ongoing time runs 30-90 minutes with most running an hour or a little less. 

My costs usually run between $10 and $50 depending on the size of the list and how many times we are sending out to it.

I charge flat a flat fee and do not itemize or charge separately for the sms costs, I just include that in the price.  The exception is when running ads like on Facebook, then they pick an ad budget and they pay that plus I charge a fee to run it usually $299 but can vary a bit depending on exactly what we are doing. 

I am not very clear on the "foot in the door" aspect of the thread. you have laid out a few services that you do which do sound workable but not seeing the flow from your initial service to where you want to be in the end. 

There is no "one" path as the starting point varies a bit. I do like to start them off with something fairly cheap that gets good results. Once we get going on that then I try to move them to both additional sms services as well as additional other services. 

So we might start out with a loyalty program, birthday marketing, just creating a list for a few weeks and then doing a blast. We might also start with adding tracking and info gathering to something they are already doing like for example if they are doing local print ads we will piggy back on that so we can better track the results. 

Once we have one sold and working (no matter what it is) I try and add whatever services we have not been doing to the mix. Then I move to other services like fixing their website and getting them to move it to my server so I can charge them hosting every month. 

If it is a service like say a beauty salon, dentist, nail salon, or chiropractor that runs on appointments I have an automated sms appointment reminder system that we can setup. The amount of money that those types of businesses lose because of missed appointments is huge. Cutting that down is a big money maker for the business. 

I basically look for any service with a recurring monthly payment rather than one off services. I like to get my fingers in as many pies as possible, the more different services I do for them the harder it is going to be for them to look at someone else. 

How do you setup your mobile lists in general? I guess I am curious on how steep the learning curve is setting everythign up. 

It is all going to depend on what software system you use. I use woot text but there are a bunch of them out there and they all work a bit differently. None of it is rocket science but you do have to spend some time learning how to setup everything and how it all works. It is a new skill but not really a hard skill. 

#53 ValentinaZ

ValentinaZ

• posts 4

Posted 13 January 2017 - 06:57 PM

It varies a bit depending on the exact type of offer and campaign we are doing. My monthly charges for sms campaigns generally run from $199-$599 with a one-time $199-$399 setup fee.

As far as time goes the initial setup usually takes 30-60 minutes and maybe another hour working on the clients side. The monthly ongoing time runs 30-90 minutes with most running an hour or a little less. 

My costs usually run between $10 and $50 depending on the size of the list and how many times we are sending out to it.

I charge flat a flat fee and do not itemize or charge separately for the sms costs, I just include that in the price.  The exception is when running ads like on Facebook, then they pick an ad budget and they pay that plus I charge a fee to run it usually $299 but can vary a bit depending on exactly what we are doing. 

There is no "one" path as the starting point varies a bit. I do like to start them off with something fairly cheap that gets good results. Once we get going on that then I try to move them to both additional sms services as well as additional other services. 

So we might start out with a loyalty program, birthday marketing, just creating a list for a few weeks and then doing a blast. We might also start with adding tracking and info gathering to something they are already doing like for example if they are doing local print ads we will piggy back on that so we can better track the results. 

Once we have one sold and working (no matter what it is) I try and add whatever services we have not been doing to the mix. Then I move to other services like fixing their website and getting them to move it to my server so I can charge them hosting every month. 

If it is a service like say a beauty salon, dentist, nail salon, or chiropractor that runs on appointments I have an automated sms appointment reminder system that we can setup. The amount of money that those types of businesses lose because of missed appointments is huge. Cutting that down is a big money maker for the business. 

I basically look for any service with a recurring monthly payment rather than one off services. I like to get my fingers in as many pies as possible, the more different services I do for them the harder it is going to be for them to look at someone else. 

It is all going to depend on what software system you use. I use woot text but there are a bunch of them out there and they all work a bit differently. None of it is rocket science but you do have to spend some time learning how to setup everything and how it all works. It is a new skill but not really a hard skill. 

What about seo sevices do  you not offer them as well? It seems a bit odd that you did not mention seo since this is an seo forum and all. 

#54 The New Matt

The New Matt

• posts 33

Posted 13 January 2017 - 07:20 PM

Is that the best one to use and what you recommend? I am thinking about this for my local seo clients as something extra but something easy to setup and use would be best. 

#55 _Richard

_Richard

Forum Moderator

• Forum Support
    • posts 6,048
    • LocationNW Arkansas

Posted 14 January 2017 - 01:35 PM

What about seo sevices do  you not offer them as well? It seems a bit odd that you did not mention seo since this is an seo forum and all. 

Other than fixing any NAP issues with a directory service I provide via Vandesta plus some manual actions SEO is pretty much at the end of the line. Now this is not always true but I have found that I can almost always drive more traffic to the the business with non-SEO methods for less money using less labor which of course gives the business owner a better ROI on his marketing dollars. The job is to put as many butts in the seats as possible for the least amount of money, for service type industries SEO is not usually the answer to that question. Now sometimes SEO is the answer and when it is I do go there early but when it is not I use traffic driving methods that I think will give the business the biggest bang for their marketing dollar. 

A couple of things to keep in mind.

First is that with most local business the measure is people walking in the physical door not people going to a website. When doing eCommerce, affiliate marketing, or other online sales models the website IS the front door but with a local business the website is at least one step removed from being the front door. 

Second in a lot of cases small local business do not have the best websites because it was not really a priority because again the physical location was/is, a lot of them only have a website because they were "told" they needed one. It does no good to drive traffic to a crappy website so that is throwing money down the drain. Before doing SEO I need to fix their website and before I can convince them that they really need to spend money on that I need to get them to trust me enough to believe that yes what I am telling them is true that their website sucks (something which they probably paid a lot of money for). The best way to do that is to deliver on my promises to drive foot traffic to their business.  

Hope that explains my reasoning a bit but if you have any additional questions let me know. 

Is that the best one to use and what you recommend? I am thinking about this for my local seo clients as something extra but something easy to setup and use would be best. 

I honestly have no idea. It is what I started with and while I have checked out some other software I have not seen one that was better enough to make it worth all the work and hassle to make a change. 

If this is going to be just an add-on for you something simpler may be better but I just do not know about the other options to give any good advice on that. 

#56 Etsane666

Etsane666

• posts 4

Posted 17 January 2017 - 01:57 AM

What kind of reporting do you provide and how do you track everything?

#57 _Richard

_Richard

Forum Moderator

• Forum Support
    • posts 6,048
    • LocationNW Arkansas

Posted 17 January 2017 - 12:03 PM

What kind of reporting do you provide and how do you track everything?

It somewhat depends on the service but list growth and overall numbers so I would give them the total number of people on the sms list as well as how many new people were added. Also action rates, for example how many open or clicked on what and when they did it. Plus how the different campaign results compared to each other. Again very similar to the actions you would see on the email lists we are all familiar with. 

You do want to keep a good watch on what gives  you the best results, some offers/coupons and times will get better results than others so you can drop what does not work and use what is effective. 

Most of the action tracking is built into the software. The only part with a human element is the redemptions and you want to track that both via the software and on the business end. 

#58 mhiweb

mhiweb

• posts 30

Posted 18 January 2017 - 10:47 PM

Do you find it fairly easy to move clients from your cheaper first tier products to additional more expensive ones?

#59 _Richard

_Richard

Forum Moderator

• Forum Support
    • posts 6,048
    • LocationNW Arkansas

Posted 19 January 2017 - 02:22 AM

Do you find it fairly easy to move clients from your cheaper first tier products to additional more expensive ones?

Well I do not generally target any real high dollar services so adding new ones is not all that hard once the first one produces results. The highest monthly recurring is going to be SEO work which I mostly ignore until all the other services I can sell them are running. The highest one time service is web development but honestly the only reason I do that is so I can get them moved to my hosting and get additional recurring.   My main focus in pushing services that do not take much time to fulfill. Rather than up-selling them what I do is sell additional programs or services. I would rather have a client paying for multiple lower dollar services than one big one as it is harder for someone to come in and undercut me.