Sign in to follow this  
_Richard

How to Dominate in Search Marketing: The Case for Combining PPC & SEO

While I do not personally do a lot of adwords (though it is really useful for testing) I am a big fan of multiple traffic sources so thinking about doing both and more is a good idea.

Throughout my time working in search marketing, one question inevitably comes up when pitching a new client: “Should we focus more on SEO or PPC?â€

Consider that question for a moment.

Organic or paid search — they’re fundamentally different yet two sides of the same coin. Having tunnel vision for SEO or PPC doesn’t make much sense when they both help you get to where you want to go. What binds the two strategies together is their purpose: increasing visibility.

It might help to think about this in the context of a basketball team — mostly because I like to make basketball-related analogies.

Hear me out...

Please login or register to see this link.

While I do not personally do a lot of adwords (though it is really useful for testing) I am a big fan of multiple traffic sources so thinking about doing both and more is a good idea.

Please login or register to see this link.

What kind of testing do you use adwords for?

What kind of testing do you use adwords for?

Mostly niche and landing pages.

For instance suppose I am looking at a niche but not 100% sure it will convert well. I put up a basic landing page and throw some adwords traffic at it using different keywords and see what happens. Then I have more info to use when deciding whether or not to build out a whole site or exactly what keywords to focus on before investing the time and energy in the link building etc to get it to rank.

Also lets say I have a landing page/sales funnel that I want to drill down on either before I throw a lot of traffic at it or just to get it tuned quicker because it is not getting a huge amount of traffic yet. I can throw some adwords traffic at it and do my testing and tuning.

You have to be careful with ppc in general and adwords in particular. You can waste a lot of money if you do not make sure you are targeting your ads properly. 

The key to not losing your shirt on ppc ads is to tweak them using lower spends and as you get them dialed in start ramping up your daily spend only after you are getting a positive ROI.