_Richard

11 Ways to Hack the LinkedIn Pulse Algorithm

I have found that LinkedIn is a decent for B2B customers if you work it right...

Why do you blog? You want your content to be discovered and read by as many people as possible, right?

But often your reach is limited. You're limited by the size of your existing audience.

Every day, people are bombarded with more content than they will ever have time to read. Most people are both incredibly busy and have the attention span of a goldfish (guilty on both counts!).

So how do you make your content go further and make sure lots of people read your stuff?

LinkedIn Pulse can help you do just that.
What Is LinkedIn Pulse?

LinkedIn Pulse is LinkedIn's version of a personalized newsfeed. It is also available as a standalone app. Pulse allows users to see the biggest headlines and read top industry news of the day.

According to recent figures, LinkedIn has more than 1 million publishers; more than 150,000 posts are published every week; and the average post reaches LinkedIn members in 21 industries and nine countries.

You'll see a mix of curated content on LinkedIn Pulse:

Stories that people in your network and/or people in your industry have shared.
    Trending stories from your extended network.
    Posts from LinkedIn's publishing platform – including "Editor's Picks," content written by influencers, publishers, and individuals.

We'll focus on the third type of content for the remainder of this post...

Please login or register to see this link.

Do you use linkedin much and what do you consider "right"?

While I do not use it as much as I have in the past (I really liked the Q&A section they removed) I do use it regularly. The "right" I am talking about is not some only right way of doing it but more in finding a system that works for you.

The first thing you need to do is make sure you profile looks good. There is a huge amount of info out there about the best way to do that so I am not going to go there but I do suggest you spend some time on making it look professional. Do now worry about perfect but the goal is you want the people that come to it to be willing to do business with you.

Also keep in mind that LinkedIn is a B2B site so if your client base is not other businesses you are probably better off spending your energy somewhere else. Though even then I would put up a nice profile as it does help you look more professional.

Get involved in some groups. Keep in mind here that you want to hand out where your clients are not with other people in the same business as you. A lot of people lose site of that and then you get a lot of marketers hanging out together. This can be educational but most of your time needs to be spent looking for clients, that is what the site is there for.

Basically help people out and show you know what you are talking about. For the most part that is what it comes down to doing. Use a soft sell when selling rather than a hard one as that turns people off.

One trick I use is that works better than you would think is choosing a client niche, targeting my profile around it and then viewing profiles in that niche.

For example I offer local marketing services to different kinds of businesses from restaurants to dentists to nail shops to etc etc... Now for the most part I am offering similar services to them with different tweaks so that they make sense to that particular business type. However to the businesses in question I look somewhat like a generalist rather than someone who specializes in there type of business.

The first thing I do is do a search for a specific type of business, lets say dentists. I tweak around with the search parameters until I have a list of say 500-1000 of them or more.

Then what I do is tweak my profile a bit so it looks like I am not just a local marketer but someone who specializes in marketing for Dentists. Really just a matter of using dentists as my examples of what I do in my profile and talking about the same offers but just talk about dentists.

Then I start visiting all the dentist profiles I found in my search over and over for a 1-2 weeks (depending on the size of the list) and wait for some of them to contact me.

What happens is that when you visit those profiles each person sees that in their notifications. A lot of people see that and then click on your profile to check out who you are. What they see is someone who can help them with their problem at which time they hit you up for some help. 

I generally get 1-2 clients per run which is not huge but they add up since most of them end up being long term monthly plan clients.

It does not take much time. I save the profile tweaks so I only have to do each business type once. I have the profile visits automated so that part run on its own. All told maybe an hour or so to set it up.

The only con is that you really need a paid account to get the best search numbers, free accounts have limits on both search results and profile views. The good thing is if you hit the limit LinkedIn resets every night so you get a fresh start every morning.

What I normally do is pay for a plan for a few months while I am in lead generation mode and then go back to a free account while I am coasting.

While I do not use it as much as I have in the past (I really liked the Q&A section they removed) I do use it regularly. The "right" I am talking about is not some only right way of doing it but more in finding a system that works for you.

The first thing you need to do is make sure you profile looks good. There is a huge amount of info out there about the best way to do that so I am not going to go there but I do suggest you spend some time on making it look professional. Do now worry about perfect but the goal is you want the people that come to it to be willing to do business with you.

Also keep in mind that LinkedIn is a B2B site so if your client base is not other businesses you are probably better off spending your energy somewhere else. Though even then I would put up a nice profile as it does help you look more professional.

Get involved in some groups. Keep in mind here that you want to hand out where your clients are not with other people in the same business as you. A lot of people lose site of that and then you get a lot of marketers hanging out together. This can be educational but most of your time needs to be spent looking for clients, that is what the site is there for.

Basically help people out and show you know what you are talking about. For the most part that is what it comes down to doing. Use a soft sell when selling rather than a hard one as that turns people off.

One trick I use is that works better than you would think is choosing a client niche, targeting my profile around it and then viewing profiles in that niche.

For example I offer local marketing services to different kinds of businesses from restaurants to dentists to nail shops to etc etc... Now for the most part I am offering similar services to them with different tweaks so that they make sense to that particular business type. However to the businesses in question I look somewhat like a generalist rather than someone who specializes in there type of business.

The first thing I do is do a search for a specific type of business, lets say dentists. I tweak around with the search parameters until I have a list of say 500-1000 of them or more.

Then what I do is tweak my profile a bit so it looks like I am not just a local marketer but someone who specializes in marketing for Dentists. Really just a matter of using dentists as my examples of what I do in my profile and talking about the same offers but just talk about dentists.

Then I start visiting all the dentist profiles I found in my search over and over for a 1-2 weeks (depending on the size of the list) and wait for some of them to contact me.

What happens is that when you visit those profiles each person sees that in their notifications. A lot of people see that and then click on your profile to check out who you are. What they see is someone who can help them with their problem at which time they hit you up for some help. 

I generally get 1-2 clients per run which is not huge but they add up since most of them end up being long term monthly plan clients.

It does not take much time. I save the profile tweaks so I only have to do each business type once. I have the profile visits automated so that part run on its own. All told maybe an hour or so to set it up.

The only con is that you really need a paid account to get the best search numbers, free accounts have limits on both search results and profile views. The good thing is if you hit the limit LinkedIn resets every night so you get a fresh start every morning.

What I normally do is pay for a plan for a few months while I am in lead generation mode and then go back to a free account while I am coasting.

that is an interesting approach I have a few questions. How do you handle when you switch business types? I would think that would lose you leads. How do you automate the profile visits. Is paying extra for the account upgrade needed or worth it?

that is an interesting approach I have a few questions. How do you handle when you switch business types? I would think that would lose you leads. How do you automate the profile visits. Is paying extra for the account upgrade needed or worth it?

1. Good question. What I do is leave the targeted version of my profile up for a week after I stop doing the views. That way any stragglers will see it. The main reason I cycle through them for at least a week is that free accounts only get to see the last five profiles that visited the so for a business owner that may only come check out his/her profile once a week I keep the visits up so I do not get pushed off the visible list. 

2. I have a couple of different LinkedIn (and other) bots that I have built that I use.

3. It depends. When I was doing fairly heavy lead gen on LinkedIn I kept a paid account all the time. Now that I am not doing it all the time I just keep the paid membership when I am active. There is really no good reason to keep a paid level if you are not using it.  Also you can do this on the free level, you just will not be able to search and cycle through as many profiles. The process will still work but your numbers will just be lower is all.

It seems like changing your profile around all the time like that would be a problem. if your profile is different every time soneone comes to it I would think that it would seem strange to them.

It seems like changing your profile around all the time like that would be a problem. if your profile is different every time soneone comes to it I would think that it would seem strange to them.

Possibly but people are not coming back to your profile over and over. Once you start communicating with them you basically leave LinkedIn behind. This is true of any third party site where you get leads, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, or search etc. You want to move your leads on to something you control whether it is a mailing list, just plain emailing back and forth, talking on the phone, etc. Move them off that third party property as soon as possible. 

Now like I mentioned about I leave up the targeted profile up at least a week after I stop the profile views. Not everyone checks their profile regularly so you get quite a few stragglers. Also I am not completely rewriting my profile, I am just changing the type of business that is being focused on in the text and examples.

This is not something that is going to make you a huge amount of money quickly but it can add up over time. Just one new $500 a month client ends up bumping your income $6k a year if you can keep them from churning.

Just one more place to add to your income....

Possibly but people are not coming back to your profile over and over. Once you start communicating with them you basically leave LinkedIn behind. This is true of any third party site where you get leads, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, or search etc. You want to move your leads on to something you control whether it is a mailing list, just plain emailing back and forth, talking on the phone, etc. Move them off that third party property as soon as possible. 

Now like I mentioned about I leave up the targeted profile up at least a week after I stop the profile views. Not everyone checks their profile regularly so you get quite a few stragglers. Also I am not completely rewriting my profile, I am just changing the type of business that is being focused on in the text and examples.

This is not something that is going to make you a huge amount of money quickly but it can add up over time. Just one new $500 a month client ends up bumping your income $6k a year if you can keep them from churning.

Just one more place to add to your income....

How long do you hold on to your monthly billing customers? 

How long do you hold on to your monthly billing customers? 

Generally for a very long time. I tend to go for the easy visible wins first and then work my way to things that either take longer to work or are maybe less visible. You build up a certain amount of trust with them over time which allows for that extra time for the payoff for those longer term results services.

The big key to keeping clients long term is to make sure that you can show them you are actually making them more money than they are spending on you. It really comes down to that, clients do not care if they are ranking well, have a big following on Facebook, are in the 3 pack, etc. All they care about is you making them more money so there is a positive ROI.

This means you have to be able to show them that you are in fact worth the money they are spending. This means every thing that is humanly possible to track should be tracked. If you can not track it then you can not prove it which ends up with lost clients even if you are in fact helping them.

Generally for a very long time. I tend to go for the easy visible wins first and then work my way to things that either take longer to work or are maybe less visible. You build up a certain amount of trust with them over time which allows for that extra time for the payoff for those longer term results services.

The big key to keeping clients long term is to make sure that you can show them you are actually making them more money than they are spending on you. It really comes down to that, clients do not care if they are ranking well, have a big following on Facebook, are in the 3 pack, etc. All they care about is you making them more money so there is a positive ROI.

This means you have to be able to show them that you are in fact worth the money they are spending. This means every thing that is humanly possible to track should be tracked. If you can not track it then you can not prove it which ends up with lost clients even if you are in fact helping them.

What kind of easy visible wins do you do first?

What kind of easy visible wins do you do first?

I generally start out with something mobile/sms related. They are easy and cheap to setup you can get pretty quick results (< 30 days). I am going to start a thread this week on the different services I use. 

What kind of tracking do you use? It seems like it would be harder for a non-internet business as  you can not use analytics to follow visitors like you can on a website. 

What kind of tracking do you use? It seems like it would be harder for a non-internet business as  you can not use analytics to follow visitors like you can on a website. 

Easier than you think. For sms coupons we can track when they are used, pretty much anything mobile is fairly easy to track. Phone calls are a bit trickier but what you do there is use a dedicated number just for your marketing rather than the regular business number which allows you to track how many calls were received.

While nothing is perfect you can get pretty good numbers.

Easier than you think. For sms coupons we can track when they are used, pretty much anything mobile is fairly easy to track. Phone calls are a bit trickier but what you do there is use a dedicated number just for your marketing rather than the regular business number which allows you to track how many calls were received.

While nothing is perfect you can get pretty good numbers.

So you use numbers that are different than the real business number? Where do you get those numbers?

What kind of software are you using for this?

I use woot text and with the shortcodes I think it runs me about $200 a month. You can do just long codes and it is a lot less but I think the short codes are worth having.

Thanks for the explanation I had not really thought of it that way. How hard was it to automate chekcing the profiles?

Sorry I missed your question... Not sure how I did that.

I would like to know this as well.

It depends on if you have any coding skills or not. The LinkedIn bots are pretty simple as bots go but you still have to build them. It probably is something you could automate via win automation or a similar program, not 100% possible but something to look at.

I have offered the bots and others before but I am not currently doing that.