• Create Account

Hey Guest, Welcome to Traffic Planet!

Sign up today in order to gain access to a vast range of features including the ability to create new topics, send private messages, Facebook & Twitter integration and MUCH more!

• RSS Feed
  • Featured Snippets: A Dead-Simple Tactic for Making Them Stick

• Please log in to reply
    16 replies to this topic

#1 _Richard

_Richard

Forum Moderator

• Forum Support
    • posts 6,237
    • LocationNW Arkansas

Posted 23 November 2016 - 01:46 PM

A good article over at Moz about getting that "zero" spot and keeping it.

At MozCon 2015, Dr. Pete delivered a gem that perked up my ears when he discussed Google's featured snippets during his talk, "Surviving Google: SEO in 2020":
    "Let's say you're No. 5 in a competitive query, and you're trying to get from No. 5 to No.1. That is incredibly difficult; that takes a lot of money, a lot of links, a lot of authority. You might be able to jump past No. 1 to No. 0 with this just by matching the question better. So it may actually be easier to get from No. 5 to No. 0 than it is to get from No. 5 to No. 1 ... Be a better match. Be a better answer to the question. It's good for users."
    Something about those 98 words perked my ears up, especially the last two sentences.

"Be a better answer to the question. It's good for users."

Those words rolled around in my head for months, though their impact wouldn't be felt until even later, when I began to see how prevalent featured snippets had become.

More than a year later, I'm now more convinced than ever that most brands should be making the attainment of featured snippets a priority.

Why?

Try as they might, most sites don't stand a chance of making it to the No.1 position in the SERPs. And today, with so much priority given to ads at the top of the page, above the organic results — not to mention the fact that most people don't recognize ads from organic results — even those who do reach the coveted position have to feel as though they've secured a pyrrhic victory...

Featured Snippets: A Dead-Simple Tactic for Making Them Stick

Sometimes I have a link in my signature to a product. If I do assume it is an affiliate link and I might make a couple of bucks off it...................................

#2 GreenLee

GreenLee

• posts 9

Posted 15 December 2016 - 03:28 PM

So if you work the snippets correctly you get to jump in front of the sites ranking you?

#3 _Richard

_Richard

Forum Moderator

• Forum Support
    • posts 6,237
    • LocationNW Arkansas

Posted 15 December 2016 - 11:08 PM

So if you work the snippets correctly you get to jump in front of the sites ranking you?

That is the case. Now it does seem to be weighted towards sites towards the top as there are less jumping up to position "0" as you get farther down the page.

Hard to tell for sure if this is just because the ones at the top are more likely to be doing it correctly or if Google is actually weighting it towards those top spots.

Sometimes I have a link in my signature to a product. If I do assume it is an affiliate link and I might make a couple of bucks off it...................................

#4 GlenWasHere

GlenWasHere

• posts 46

Posted 16 December 2016 - 04:44 PM

That is the case. Now it does seem to be weighted towards sites towards the top as there are less jumping up to position "0" as you get farther down the page.

Hard to tell for sure if this is just because the ones at the top are more likely to be doing it correctly or if Google is actually weighting it towards those top spots.

I would guess some combination of the two

#5 The Snap

The Snap

• posts 8

Posted 17 December 2016 - 11:15 PM

Did you guys read the comments on the article? There was one informative one fairly far down.

Hola Ronell!!

I actually work on having my clients' sites conquering as many #0 spots as it is possible, and I was able to outstand the same Wikipedia.

A suggestion I can give is to not trying earning them blindly.

A good start for rying creating "featured snippable" content (does exist a definition like this?) is

1. to map the primary and secondary keywords your pages are already ranking for,
    2. to check out what real questions exist with those keywords your site is already ranking for (use Answer the Public + any good ranking tracking like SERPWoo or Accuranker);
    3. to optimize the pages that are already ranking so to have more possibilities for being picked up as featured snippet.

At the same time, then, using SEMRush, you can easily check what keywords of all the ones the tool is telling your site is visible for have a featured snippet.

Be aware, though, that this phase is a little manual, because the SEMRush tool still don't well differentiate what kind of answer box Google is presenting in every single SERP.

Moz Keyword Explorer offers this same feature, but keyword by keyword, and in Moz Pro, the SERP Features page is amazing in showing the exact type for all of them. Therefore, a good idea could be to individuate the most interesting keywords using SEMRush, and add them to the keywords you're monitoring in your Moz Pro Campaign.

In order to have your page(s) considered worth for featured snippet, then, remember that it is not because of structured data that Google choose one or the other document, but good old classic clean html and On Page SEO.

Richard Baxter once wrote on Builtvisible a very understandable post about how he was able to obtain #0 spots: https://builtvisible.com/answer-boxes/

#6 _Richard

_Richard

Forum Moderator

• Forum Support
    • posts 6,237
    • LocationNW Arkansas

Posted 18 December 2016 - 12:40 AM

Did you guys read the comments on the article? There was one informative one fairly far down.

Nice catch...

#7 Digital 101

Digital 101

• posts 12

Posted 18 December 2016 - 05:41 PM

If you can make it work it is a nice shortcut to the top of the rankings.

#8 _Richard

_Richard

Forum Moderator

• Forum Support
    • posts 6,237
    • LocationNW Arkansas

Posted 18 December 2016 - 06:29 PM

If you can make it work it is a nice shortcut to the top of the rankings.

That is pretty much the point. In a lot of cases it is probably easier to jump over a few spots than it is to actually out rank them. Easier and cheaper is better...

#9 AdrianV

AdrianV

• posts 16

Posted 19 December 2016 - 04:33 PM

That is pretty much the point. In a lot of cases it is probably easier to jump over a few spots than it is to actually out rank them. Easier and cheaper is better...

Is it always easier and cheaper or just sometimes?

#10 LexxJuan

LexxJuan

• posts 16

Posted 19 December 2016 - 07:56 PM

If not always it must be close. All you need to do is setup the schema on your site correctly. No extra link building or anything needed. 

#11 _Richard

_Richard

Forum Moderator

• Forum Support
    • posts 6,237
    • LocationNW Arkansas

Posted 19 December 2016 - 11:10 PM

I would say that while it depends on the niche/keywords and the competition that yes a very high percentage of the time it is both easier and cheaper.

#12 Jeffry Self

Jeffry Self

• posts 20

Posted 21 December 2016 - 05:33 PM

Do you have information on what spot the snippets are coming from? I did not see anything in the article about them being weighted. 

#13 _Richard

_Richard

Forum Moderator

• Forum Support
    • posts 6,237
    • LocationNW Arkansas

Posted 21 December 2016 - 11:17 PM

Do you have information on what spot the snippets are coming from? I did not see anything in the article about them being weighted. 

It was from a different article

https://trafficplanet.com/topic/10798-game-of-featured-snippets-how-to-rank-in-position-0/

#14 Kassandra

Kassandra

• posts 6

Posted 05 January 2017 - 06:07 PM

This is some great information that I had not seen before. Making use of it appears to be easy I am going to try it on my sites and see what results I get. 

#15 _Richard

_Richard

Forum Moderator

• Forum Support
    • posts 6,237
    • LocationNW Arkansas

Posted 05 January 2017 - 08:41 PM

This is some great information that I had not seen before. Making use of it appears to be easy I am going to try it on my sites and see what results I get. 

Glad you found it useful. If you have any problems implementing it post in the thread and we can probably give you a hand.

#16 The Snap

The Snap

• posts 8

Posted 10 January 2017 - 11:13 PM

It seems like I am seeing them in more search results the last week or so either google is rolling it out to more categories or more people are starting to use them. 

#17 _Richard

_Richard

Forum Moderator

• Forum Support
    • posts 6,237
    • LocationNW Arkansas

Posted 11 January 2017 - 04:13 AM

It seems like I am seeing them in more search results the last week or so either google is rolling it out to more categories or more people are starting to use them. 

According to the following article they have spiked from 7.9% to 10.3% since the beginning of the year. Still not a huge percentage but it appears to be growing. 

https://www.seroundtable.com/google-rich-cards-more-23233.html