• Create Account

Hey Guest, Welcome to Traffic Planet!

Sign up today in order to gain access to a vast range of features including the ability to create new topics, send private messages, Facebook & Twitter integration and MUCH more!

• RSS Feed
  • How to create your private blog networks

• Please log in to reply
    16 replies to this topic

#1 asimbawany

asimbawany

• PipPip
    • posts 26
    • LocationKarachi

Posted 06 August 2012 - 02:28 AM

Edit: I think it will be a good idea to add answers to these questions as we get them. This way, anyone reading can have all the information easily rather than having to read the entire thread. All Edits are in Red

HI All,

Iv been looking over this forum and a few others for the past few days to find some kind of guidelines to set up a private blog network but haven't found anything useful, not for free at least :D

I know a lot of members here have their own private networks but there are probably more who need help with setting theirs up.

The intention with this thread is to get enough *actionable* responses to be able to put together a complete (or near complete) guide to setting up your own private blog network and making the download available. I hope all those who are experienced with private networks will chime in.

Iv identified the following steps and questions to setup a network so far. I don't know if these are all. If there are more than these, please post about them below and i'll add to them here.

1. Determine size of network and key metrics
    - how many blogs do you need for the network to be effective in ranking your own sites
    - how many blogs do you need for the network to be effective in ranking client sites as well as your own
    - should the blogs be generic where each post goes to each blog? or should they be niched?
    - what should the PR break down of the blogs look like
    - at what rate should you grow your network each month, quater, year?
    - how many blogs per C class? 1 or more? If more, how many?

2. SEO hosting

- should you host all blogs on a single seo hosting account? different accounts with same company? or multiple accounts with multiple companies?
    A: SEO hosting isn't the best way to go. While it offers some convenience upfront, it makes your network more vulnerable to detection. Using Separate hosting accounts is recommended.

- what should you look for while deciding who to host with
    A: There are a couple things that you should look for in a hosting provider.
    1. Ask where their Data Centre is located? If there are more than one, ask where you will get your account and if its possible for you to be able to choose your location
    2. Ask what IP address you will get with their account. They probably won't be able to tell you the exact IP but you can get a range. Compare it to the sites you already have in your network and see if you are getting diversity.

- Can you host multiple domains on a single account
    A: Yes, do not have a definite answer to this yet but it seems going more than 2-3 domains per hosting is not recommended.

- how many c class IPs should you start with? Is there a minium?
    - what about separate DNS for each blog? I assume not having separate name servers defeats the purpose of seo hosting but most companies dont seem to be providing that. Is my assumption right or wrong? If right, what is to be done about it?
    - who are the best seohosting providers

3. Buying Domains
    - Aged vs New: whats recommended? (aged, new or mixed?)
    - what are the best places to buy
    - what criteria should you look for while buying aged domains
    - how to determine if the PR of an aged domain is real or fake

4. Setting up the network
    - whats the recommended CMS to set it up? (wordpress, joomla, drupal, others?)
    - how important is it really to make them look different in terms of appearance, theme, etc and how to do it
    - are their any particular settings or configurations to be used to make the network more effective or to protect against discovery
    - how to minimize disk space and bandwidth usage

5. Managing the network
    - how to manage content publishing? (manual vs automatic)
    - how can content publishing be automated or semi automated
    - what kind of content should be put on these blogs? (plr vs spun vs original)
    - how to keep it all natural
    - how to increase/maintain pr of the domains

6. Link Building
    - should a website get links from every site in the network or part of it?
    - if site A has had links from all/most sites in the network, is it still worth building more links to it from the same network?
    - should all links be text/contextual? or should images also be used?
    - should the network be interlinked?

7. Other best practices
    - how to protect your network from being discovered
    - how to protect from competitors
    - what should be the ratio of sites IN the network to sites being linked to (how much is enough/too much)
    - should you allow others (client) to use your network? why?

The above are the steps/questions I have identified so far, I am sure there are more but I think even if the above can be discussed in detail here, it could be an excellent guide for anyone wanting start their own network. I know these are a LOT for any one person to answer so even if each person can answer 1 or two of the questions above, we'll have them all answered in time. I will also keep on looking for the answers to the above and if/when I find answers to any of my questions above, I will post answers too. Once we have enough information in this thread, I'll create a PDF and make it available for download so that its all there in a single document.

My aim with this thread is to help myself be able to put up a kickass network and help others do the same in the process. Any responses from experienced network admins will be greatly appreciated. However, if you don't run a blog network yourself, please do not post any advise that you may have *heard* from a so called expert.

Thank you all in advance...

Asim

Edited by asimbawany, 07 August 2012 - 01:18 PM.

#2 boxoun

boxoun

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
    • posts 92

Posted 06 August 2012 - 04:52 AM

You must not be looking hard. I've seen several threads about this subject. I'll post one tip. Many people are choosing to get cheap hosting rather than seo hosting. I have a mixture of both.

#3 asimbawany

asimbawany

• PipPip
    • posts 26
    • LocationKarachi

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:43 AM

You must not be looking hard. I've seen several threads about this subject. I'll post one tip. Many people are choosing to get cheap hosting rather than seo hosting. I have a mixture of both.

yes there are a few but not detailed enough for someone who is starting their first network.

I understand that nothing can be better than doing it yourself and getting your feet wet but with something as expensive as this, I feel that its better to get some information up front and avoid pitfalls as much as possible.

Thanks for the tip :)

#4 saxon

saxon

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
    • posts 50
    • LocationLondon

Posted 06 August 2012 - 12:08 PM

I have about 80 cheap hosting account, I won't use SEO hosting. One word somes up how you should go about it: randomness, the same in any kind of linking, randomness looks natural. I'll come back and answer your other Qs properly later.

#5 asimbawany

asimbawany

• PipPip
    • posts 26
    • LocationKarachi

Posted 06 August 2012 - 03:29 PM

I have about 80 cheap hosting account, I won't use SEO hosting. One word somes up how you should go about it: randomness, the same in any kind of linking, randomness looks natural. I'll come back and answer your other Qs properly later.

thanks for the tip mate. looking forward to the detailed responses :)

cheers

#6 raven

raven

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
    • PipPipPip
    • posts 185

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:37 PM

i got burned with seohosting so i agree with the others, cheap hosting is the way to go.

#7 SearchProphet

SearchProphet

• Pip
    • posts 1

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:16 AM

That's interesting because I was just considering taking out an SEO Hosting package - in what way did you get 'burned'? My thinking was a single place for managing all accounts on different IPs would be easier than dozens of different hosting accounts.

#8 boxoun

boxoun

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
    • posts 92

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:18 AM

Many people believe seo hosting is easier to track and wipe out. I've heard some say they were 100% sure it was the cause of their network being de indexed.

Not that hard to manage. Create a private blog and use the blogroll links to bookmark your cpanels and use a secure password manager. That's how I keep track of all my links. Make sure the blog is secure though. I also use the blog posts with tags to keep track of the work I've done in the past. Wordpress is a great cms for note taking. Just make sure its secure and don't write your passwords on it.

#9 asimbawany

asimbawany

• PipPip
    • posts 26
    • LocationKarachi

Posted 07 August 2012 - 09:13 AM

well if the only disadvantage that comes with separate hosting accounts is multiple login details, I think its a fair tradeoff if it really makes your network more secure. For hosting companies, do you spread your accounts through multiple hosting companies? If so, which ones are recommended? Do you only host 1 blog per account?

#10 _Richard

_Richard

Forum Moderator

• Forum Support
    • posts 5,074
    • LocationNW Arkansas

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:01 AM

That's interesting because I was just considering taking out an SEO Hosting package - in what way did you get 'burned'? My thinking was a single place for managing all accounts on different IPs would be easier than dozens of different hosting accounts.

There is no question that having all your sites in one control panel is easier but honestly once the sites are setup how often do you need to access the cpanel? Most of the time you are going to be accessing the admin either manually or with program and what hosting you have does not really matter.

There does seem to be some evidence that Google has targeted some of the seo only hosting companies by going after sites hosting on their IPs.

Sometimes I have a link in my signature to a product. If I do assume it is an affiliate link and I might make a couple of bucks off it...................................

#11 asimbawany

asimbawany

• PipPip
    • posts 26
    • LocationKarachi

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:08 AM

There is no question that having all your sites in one control panel is easier but honestly once the sites are setup how often do you need to access the cpanel? Most of the time you are going to be accessing the admin either manually or with program and what hosting you have does not really matter.

There does seem to be some evidence that Google has targeted some of the seo only hosting companies by going after sites hosting on their IPs.

Ok, so it seems that every one here is in favor of using separate hosting accounts rather than SEO hosting.

Can someone please answer the below:
    -do you spread your accounts through multiple hosting companies?
    -If so, which ones are recommended?
    -Do you only host 1 blog per account?

#12 _Richard

_Richard

Forum Moderator

• Forum Support
    • posts 5,074
    • LocationNW Arkansas

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:43 AM

Ok, so it seems that every one here is in favor of using separate hosting accounts rather than SEO hosting.

Can someone please answer the below:
    -do you spread your accounts through multiple hosting companies?
    -If so, which ones are recommended?
    -Do you only host 1 blog per account?

You might want to check out the following thread.

http://trafficplanet.com/topic/3730-blog-network-hosting/

Sometimes I have a link in my signature to a product. If I do assume it is an affiliate link and I might make a couple of bucks off it...................................

#13 saxon

saxon

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
    • posts 50
    • LocationLondon

Posted 09 August 2012 - 03:48 PM

well if the only disadvantage that comes with separate hosting accounts is multiple login details, I think its a fair tradeoff if it really makes your network more secure. For hosting companies, do you spread your accounts through multiple hosting companies? If so, which ones are recommended? Do you only host 1 blog per account?

I use managewp, so I don't need to go into cpanel. I just make sure it's as secure as CPanel can be, that is disable anonymous ftp, make sure your MYSQL password is different form your main cpanel login.

managewp means I don't need to remember any password or usernames for my 500 wordpress sites.

#14 asimbawany

asimbawany

• PipPip
    • posts 26
    • LocationKarachi

Posted 09 August 2012 - 04:30 PM

I use managewp, so I don't need to go into cpanel. I just make sure it's as secure as CPanel can be, that is disable anonymous ftp, make sure your MYSQL password is different form your main cpanel login.

managewp means I don't need to remember any password or usernames for my 500 wordpress sites.

Hey Saxon,

just checked this out. Prices seem quite reasonable. Does this tool let you syndicate spun articles across your network? What do you use for that?

Asim

#15 googlemonster

googlemonster

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
    • posts 71

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:17 PM

There are only so many IPs around, if you think the bulk of Google's algorithm is based on IP then you'd be wrong. There are 1000's of sites on the same IP, and 1000's of sites on the same server. Really I have some sites on the same server and link to my new sites, in time they acquire Page Rank, so are you telling me it is passing PR yet not validity? Of course not, as it also helped boost the serp position. While I think camouflage tactics are important let's not get carried away with Google's scripts.

#16 saxon

saxon

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
    • posts 50
    • LocationLondon

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:29 PM

Hey Saxon,

just checked this out. Prices seem quite reasonable. Does this tool let you syndicate spun articles across your network? What do you use for that?

Asim

No it doesn't do that. I have my own system for building, maintaining and sharing blog networks. I'm not sure I'm allowed to link to it since I haven't paid Terry for advertising. You can send me a PM if you're interested though.

#17 _Richard

_Richard

Forum Moderator

• Forum Support
    • posts 5,074
    • LocationNW Arkansas

Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:17 AM

No it doesn't do that. I have my own system for building, maintaining and sharing blog networks. I'm not sure I'm allowed to link to it since I haven't paid Terry for advertising. You can send me a PM if you're interested though.

You can put a link in your sig no problem. If it is your product just the link is fine, if you are an affiliate you just need to make sure you lable the link as such.