• Create Account

Hey Guest, Welcome to Traffic Planet!

Sign up today in order to gain access to a vast range of features including the ability to create new topics, send private messages, Facebook & Twitter integration and MUCH more!

• RSS Feed
  • Successful Negative SEO Case Study

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
    179 replies to this topic

#1 negativeseo

negativeseo

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
    • posts 68

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:22 AM

I am concerned this story will be buried on a thread of people talking lots about off topic issues. So i have started a new thread with it where it deserves to be. If the mods would prefer, I can delete the post i made in the other thread.

So here its is....... Let make some headlines!

We have managed to totally destroy a credible site with decent page rank, age, traffic and some-what authority. Site we targeted is revealed below!

I have been running a negative SEO company for many years now and managed to make small businesses drop heavily on Google SERPS, receive -50 penalties and get dropped all altogether. All by using a series of techniques I will outline below.

A client came to me and asked if we could drop a bunch of sites down a few spots in Google.co.uk so that they could rank higher. (The client never revealed themselves but by process of elimination on the sites I was targeting it seemed pretty clear LOL)

We analysed the sites in the top 5 positions for a variation of keywords and in #1 position for a good key phrase was a site that had a PR5, it was in the top 3 for many of the variations of key phrases and was not a bricks and mortar brand as I like to call them. These site are easy to target as their only footprint is online thus leading to less authority and credibility. (btw… not always)

Internal page was PR4 with decent enough content but the site was not as well designed / structured as others and the content on some internal pages had duplicates.

These are great signs to look for when targeting a website, almost all sites have their vulnerabilities and you just need to find the highlight them and exploit the hell out them.

We started working on the site about 1 year ago with a service called dripfeedblasts.com, we signed up for a huge package and started blasting the hell out of the site with 1000 profile links a day, the key was to target all their major key phrases easily found on sites like semrush.com. If you target just one key phrase you don’t get the long term benefits. The goal here is to make it look like a natural SEO campaign.

What we typically have seen after a blast is a drop in SERPS for 2 days followed by a gain of a few positions sometimes more. Every competitors worst nightmare right? NO… Google has now been alerted to unnatural behaviour, Google asks itself was this a news story that caused a sudden interest in the site, if so then it’s OK. Google will analyse where the links are coming from and make a decision on what benefits to give to those links. The trick is to keep it going until you see a drop a second time. At this point you want to switch tactics to make it look like the webmaster is reacting to the SERPS changes.

We then bought a bunch of services from fiverr.com, blog posts, facebook likes, tweets, link wheels etc… The spamiest ones we could find, easy to find, you just look for negative comments and ratings on services LOL.

At this point we got the best news ever! We saw a thread on Google Help Forums started by a representative of the company! Why is this good news, well now we have the handle name he uses online, although we did have it anyways as we checked backlinks for the site and found conversations in automotive forums.

But it also means that the webmaster is concerned and noticed a problem.

The best thing about Google Forums is that they get people bitching and whining all the time, so when there is a real concern your screwed LOL as they hate those people and do their best to aggravate them. A prime example of that is a user called webado, god help anyone that gets this person in their thread what a total douche.

So I watched this total loser ***** and whine about the loss in rankings and that someone was creating spam links to his site etc..

At this stage we created a BMR account and got a cheap writer from India to create lots of posts and links, we then created profiles on forums with his username / handle and talked about services he had just bought and if anyone knew if they worked.

We started creating lots of spam links and posts in forums to pages that were dropping in rankings. Getting the accounts that we had created banned in those forums. (some of these forums report this activity as spam to Google.)

At this point we hit the site with another xrumer blast and then a bunch of spam blog roll links. We crawled the site day and night for content, a few million pages I might add! (the site claims to have 8 million cars online worldwide, at it would seem they bloody well did LOL) (also our scrapping of the site slowed to down considerably which I am sure will also have a negative page speed effect, two birds with one stone! LOL) We then posted duplicated content on loads of wordpress / blog sites etc. Its easy to target a site that has new content daily as you can grab the data before its indexed by Google and then post it somewhere else gaining authority on the continent and making it look like the target site is just duplicating it!

As the sites started to plummet from an Alexa ranking of 50,000 to about 100K we could really see it was working. The conversations were still going on in Google Forums with the loser webmaster getting more irate haha.

We then targeted the Google listing for the company and created loads of 5 star reviews saying how amazing the service was with Fiverr etc.. After just 2 months and 40 reviews the site was gone from Google reviews! LOL wow that was easy!

We created a fake email account and politely asked sites with good links pointing to the site to remove them and in some cases a mention of a DMCA takedown. Almost all webmaster react to this quickly LOL, emails can contain messages that suggest the site they link too has a penalty or seen as a bad neighbourhood and we are just warning you. Normally results in a quick and effective link removal.

As of this week the site is totally gone for all its major keywords! It still seems to get traffic from long tail but the main damage is now done.

The whole process was not a quick one (almost a year in total, but the major damage was done in 4 months), if you want to target a small businesses its can be done in as little as a month. But bigger businesses take a while longer.

I do however feel that a large business with a solid brand is almost impossible to shake down. But there are many small & medium size businesses that are easy targets, they have good content and services but the sites have small issues, like duplicate pages or bad structure. Exploit the hell out of them and its easy pickings!

I hope that was a fun and exciting guide to negative SEO and how to take down your competition.

As promised the losers site we targeted was da da daaaaa. justgoodcars.com, sorry bro! But business is business LOL

The keyword targets were all the major ones, used cars, used cars for sale, value my car, car valuation, used Nissan, used Honda etc….
    Everyone of them is now totally out of the listings.

In case you were wondering, I offered the client a discount if I could use this as a case study.

Please remember that at no point did we claim to be justgoodcars.com, we simply created various links, posts and emails mentioning them. It may seem to the less inquisitive that we were the company in question and that’s all we needed to do.

Nothing illegal was done here and can be easily replicated.

My personal opinion on this is that Google should not allow this to happen at all, they are totally incapable of detecting the most malicious of behaviours and therefore should not impose negative algorithmic changes on any sites. Will we see a change? I expect not! Google plans to change page one of SERPS in to a 100% paid for page. This can only be accomplished by forcing sites to find income in ads. My predication, a version of Google Local/Places will dominate the entire first page by next year.

Go buy shares in Google, over 95% of its profits are made from ads, this is set to skyrocket this year.

Edited by negativeseo, 19 April 2012 - 02:24 AM.

#2 liloleme

liloleme

• Pip
    • posts 5

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:55 AM

Don't be surprised if your effort is for naught after posting that URL there....

Edited by liloleme, 19 April 2012 - 03:56 AM.

#3 BuzzBox

BuzzBox

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
    • posts 353
    • LocationOn the Road

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:08 AM

All I could think of as I read that was what a slimy low life you are....where's a truck when you need one.

#4 Derek

Derek

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
    • posts 82

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:55 AM

Edit:
    Nevermind. I just hope the mods delete this crap.

Edited by Derek, 19 April 2012 - 05:06 AM.

#5 CCLondon

CCLondon

• PipPip
    • posts 24

Posted 19 April 2012 - 05:12 AM

Hope there site comes back

Edited by CCLondon, 19 April 2012 - 05:13 AM.

#6 Adsie

Adsie

• Pip
    • posts 4

Posted 19 April 2012 - 05:28 AM

you are forgetting the point of all this. Negative SEO works now

#7 Gladiator

Gladiator

• Pip
    • posts 6

Posted 19 April 2012 - 05:48 AM

Awesome job negativeseo for pointing this out.

The truth is - Google is a company which sells advertisements. There are only two ways it can keep grwoing.

1) Expand the market - it is happenning but at a slower rate and its difficult to sell ads on mobile which is where the growth is.

2) Increase prices of your product - which is what is happenning. What Google is trying to do is make SEO irrelevant. No matter what you do, the organic rankings are going to be in a state of flux. There will continue to be huge variations and eventually SEO will become ROI negative for enough people. These people will be then forced to buy traffic on google which will drive CPC costs up. In the end, Google wins.

There is only one way this thing can stop. People start using Bing or Blekko or any other credible search engine.
    I hope Facebook launches a credible search engine.

#8 Blah Blah Blah

Blah Blah Blah

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
    • PipPipPip
    • posts 383

Posted 19 April 2012 - 05:58 AM

I feel bad for the guy. He's sitting there doing a good job with a real site and by no fault of his own he may go bankrupt. Hope you got paid very well because you never know, he may track your ass down.

#9 fthomas137

fthomas137

• Pip
    • posts 4

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:08 AM

Actually you may all complain but this is a great post. The only way to know a thing is to see it from ALL angles.

I for one believe this thread should stay. I may not like that this can happen, but it's important for us to know it.

Edited by fthomas137, 19 April 2012 - 06:10 AM.

#10 Steve Backlink Energizer

Steve Backlink Energizer

Advanced Member

• Active Seller
    • PipPipPip
    • posts 525
    • LocationSo Cal

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:17 AM

Wonder what the odds are of the same guys calling Mr. NegativeSEO a slimeball are the same ones running over to BHW and downloading free softs etc.

Negative SEO is going to be done if it works. Either by this guy or others.

The big picture is - it shouldnt work - and google shouldnt continue to be rewarded for allowing it to work. Add to that the snide and sniveling white hats brought this onto themselves as well ...

"Yaaa go Google go" they cheered like high school cheerleaders when Matt Cutts and Danny gloated and sneered about ruining the lucrative small businesses of MANY others - blog net owners - their assistants and MANY of their users.

Now they're having "Ohhh ***** .... wait a minute .... you mean ...???? " moments - as they realize they just became the targets. Lemmings - the lot of em.

Get RESULTS with Powerful S.E.O. - "Contextual Links In High PR Blog Posts" Rank Ascend Thread | RankAscend.com

Featuring 100s of NEW High PR Blogs and Kick Ass New Back Office System To Manage Your Orders

#11 Derek

Derek

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
    • posts 82

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:29 AM

I personally have never downloaded a cracked software or stolen program. I'm not the most ethical person, but I don't think stealing or intentionally ruining someone else's business is something that needs pointing out as being bad juju, if not worse.

A couple people here already cracked Dan Thies' sites from the looks of it, but the kind of person willing to destroy a perfectly credible and quality site is a piece of *****. This thread doesn't need to stay, we've already got an example.

Edited by Derek, 19 April 2012 - 06:30 AM.

#12 BuzzBox

BuzzBox

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
    • posts 353
    • LocationOn the Road

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:40 AM

Wonder what the odds are of the same guys calling Mr. NegativeSEO a slimeball are the same ones running over to BHW and downloading free softs etc.,,

what a strange statement,, to try and connect 2 so dissimilar things, makes no sense. Bit like saying what are the odds you're a wife beater...

#13 Steve Backlink Energizer

Steve Backlink Energizer

Advanced Member

• Active Seller
    • PipPipPip
    • posts 525
    • LocationSo Cal

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:42 AM

what a strange statement,, to try and connect 2 so dissimilar things, makes no sense. Bit like saying what are the odds you're a wife beater...

Thanks for helping make my point.

Next time I'll try and stay away from the big scary words, keep em under 3 syllables and maybe include a schematic so you can follow along.

Edited by Steve Backlink Energizer, 19 April 2012 - 06:53 AM.

Get RESULTS with Powerful S.E.O. - "Contextual Links In High PR Blog Posts" Rank Ascend Thread | RankAscend.com

Featuring 100s of NEW High PR Blogs and Kick Ass New Back Office System To Manage Your Orders

#14 BuzzBox

BuzzBox

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
    • posts 353
    • LocationOn the Road

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:50 AM

Thanks for helping make the point.

That you're a wife beater?... you're welcome..

#15 colourofspring

colourofspring

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
    • PipPipPip
    • posts 386

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:53 AM

I don't understand the criticism here. negativeseo is just making a point that this SHOULD NOT WORK. He also did nothing illegal if he describes exactly what he did. GOOGLE misinterpreted their link profile and punished their site. If you criticise this, then what you're trying to do is hide and diminish the fact that negative SEO works. In my mind, we should be highlighting this fact, not hiding it so that Google (if they really did do no evil) would do something about it.

#16 RealEcon

RealEcon

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
    • posts 544

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:56 AM

OP sounds a bit like he has an agenda. Sure maybe he is trying to get new customers, but why post such a complete outline of what you do?

It looks to me like Google has set the stage for a webmaster civil war. Get the word out in all the forums that negative SEO works (which it does) and let the people destroy themselves.

Its the same in any war, the people with the most to lose run to the Government (Google PPC) for protection and safety.

If the OP was a regular member here or elseware he would have more credibility, but his post to me looks like someone with an agenda.

I think the term is...Agent Provocateur

#17 Glassy

Glassy

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
    • PipPipPip
    • posts 206

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:00 AM

If there were no holes in the algo, negative SEO wouldn't be possible, it all comes back to Google and when you guys get angry about someone doing this, your anger should be directed at the big G, for allowing it to happen in the first place.

Edited by Glassy, 19 April 2012 - 07:01 AM.

#18 neil_patmore

neil_patmore

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
    • PipPipPip
    • posts 203
    • LocationUK

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:06 AM

Great informative post of the process you executed.

However I did feel a tad uneasy reading the 'LOLs' after every mention of disruption that was caused to the site owner of justgoodcars.com

You are right, business is business, but expressing enjoyment at the impact your service has caused crosses the line from business to personal no!?

And whilst you say nothing illegal has been done, I'm pretty sure Mr justgoodcars.com doesn't feel the same - let's hope your openly revealing what you've done here doesn't encourage repercussions from a man with a strong will and very deep pockets!

I'm extremely interested in Negative SEO and the possibilities this brings and your post has given me some great ideas so thanks. However there's no way I'd leave myself open like you just have my friend.

#19 Richar Green

Richar Green

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
    • posts 119

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:07 AM

Even though i feel bd for the guy, but good job negativeSEO.
    Matt cutts and other nerdy engineers, are you guys watching this?
    Smacking a site with cheap links and ranking your site with that, is a lot more easier and cheaper than doing it with traditional SEO. Sad, but looks like Google have created a huge mess for them and its going to get bigger and bigger...!

Edited by Richar Green, 19 April 2012 - 07:10 AM.

#20 neil_patmore

neil_patmore

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
    • PipPipPip
    • posts 203
    • LocationUK

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:09 AM

He also did nothing illegal

I'm pretty sure someone with deep enough pockets could win a successful compensation claim for loss of earnings now that OP has openly admitted what he's done here.