• Create Account

Hey Guest, Welcome to Traffic Planet!

Sign up today in order to gain access to a vast range of features including the ability to create new topics, send private messages, Facebook & Twitter integration and MUCH more!

• RSS Feed
  • Fresh content is now King.So where the heck do I put it ?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
    11 replies to this topic

#1 spiritus

spiritus

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
    • PipPipPip
    • posts 292

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:21 AM

I've been reading a lot recently about Google placing more emphasis on fresh content and I can see some sense in that but I struggle how to adapt this to some of my own sites.

Example:

One of my sites is at number 4 in Google and has been for a couple of years. The first page is a long 1000 word relevant article to my keyword whilst I have also added other content pages as well as a store page (which is where I make my moolah).

To try to keep my affiliate sites under the radar I don't place ANY affiliate links on my home page (the page where the 1000 word article is) and it's often the home page that I have succes in ranking.

Now if Google wants fresh content where do I put it ? I can place fresh content all day long on my inner pages but I don't really expect them to rank. My home page has become almost an authoritative page on my chosen keyword so "fresh content" would mean what exactly ? Messing about with my home page on a weekly basis ??

I have also played around with installing a wordpress blog on one of my inner pages which allows me to just drop posts there on a casual basis anytime I feel the need to write something. This blog is very "fresh" but isn't really the page I want to rank.

Any advice guys and gals ?

#2 nicbos

nicbos

Advanced Member

• Active Seller
    • PipPipPip
    • posts 333
    • LocationItaly

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:40 AM

You could enforce your website overall strenghtness by adding some inner page(s) VERY related to the home, then linking them FROM the home page itself. If there is proper relation between them (home and inner), you should not loose juice by using those internal linkings, and maybe you would carry juice to the inner pages instead, letting them rank sooner or later.

#3 spiritus

spiritus

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
    • PipPipPip
    • posts 292

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:46 AM

thanks Nicbos.

I'm still unsure whgat Google prefers. Do they want a constantly refreshed homepage with new content being rolled off on a regular basis ? Do you get less brownie points if your content on the homepage is static even if that content may be the best piece of content on a given subject on the internet !

#4 montoyanb

montoyanb

• PipPip
    • posts 23

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:59 PM

I've been reading a lot recently about Google placing more emphasis on fresh content and I can see some sense in that but I struggle how to adapt this to some of my own sites.

Example:

One of my sites is at number 4 in Google and has been for a couple of years. The first page is a long 1000 word relevant article to my keyword whilst I have also added other content pages as well as a store page (which is where I make my moolah).

To try to keep my affiliate sites under the radar I don't place ANY affiliate links on my home page (the page where the 1000 word article is) and it's often the home page that I have succes in ranking.

Now if Google wants fresh content where do I put it ? I can place fresh content all day long on my inner pages but I don't really expect them to rank. My home page has become almost an authoritative page on my chosen keyword so "fresh content" would mean what exactly ? Messing about with my home page on a weekly basis ??

I have also played around with installing a wordpress blog on one of my inner pages which allows me to just drop posts there on a casual basis anytime I feel the need to write something. This blog is very "fresh" but isn't really the page I want to rank.

Any advice guys and gals ?

You could update your existing article on main page and break it in few smaller articles?

#5 stevejones003

stevejones003

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
    • PipPipPip
    • posts 148

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:05 PM

Have a gadget like box showing recent posts at the top right/left of home page.
    ---You do not have enough posts to see this content.---

#6 Emcee

Emcee

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
    • posts 82

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:20 PM

I agree with Nicbos. This is only going to help you as long as the content is quality and user friendly. I wouldn't worry to much about the static page versus a rolling blog, I really don't think it matters much. Google will know when fresh content is added whether it is on the home page or an inner page.

I would install wordpress, create a page called blog and have your posts go to that page. Then put a nav bar on your home page in the side column that links to your blog posts and then you don't have to mess with the content on your homepage and your on page SEO and internal linking should be good.

#7 JSP

JSP

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
    • posts 690
    • LocationAZ

Posted 04 January 2012 - 02:36 PM

I wouldn't touch the homepage content if it's ranking well. Like others have said, give your readers & the search engines plenty of ways to find your fresh content. (On the inner pages.)

1,000+ NICHE-RELATED BLOG COMMENTING SOURCES

100% Niche-Related / 100% Open For Comments / 100% Free of Spam

#8 spiritus

spiritus

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
    • PipPipPip
    • posts 292

Posted 04 January 2012 - 02:58 PM

I agree with Nicbos. This is only going to help you as long as the content is quality and user friendly. I wouldn't worry to much about the static page versus a rolling blog, I really don't think it matters much. Google will know when fresh content is added whether it is on the home page or an inner page.

I would install wordpress, create a page called blog and have your posts go to that page. Then put a nav bar on your home page in the side column that links to your blog posts and then you don't have to mess with the content on your homepage and your on page SEO and internal linking should be good.

Thanks. That's exactly what I've done with some of my sites i.e. installed wordpress and created a blog page to the site.

#9 backlink lover

backlink lover

• PipPip
    • posts 15

Posted 04 January 2012 - 03:35 PM

good advice..i would do the same thing as well.changing the homepage can cause a big problem sometimes

I wouldn't touch the homepage content if it's ranking well. Like others have said, give your readers & the search engines plenty of ways to find your fresh content. (On the inner pages.)

#10 Myheavens

Myheavens

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
    • PipPipPip
    • posts 118
    • LocationPeace

Posted 04 January 2012 - 03:40 PM

Yes, You should add More Content to the Inner Pages and Get a Link back to your Homepage from that fresh content inner page. It will help your homepage rankings/stablity..

#11 MarkAse

MarkAse

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
    • PipPipPip
    • posts 258

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:53 AM

I run into the same problems for my BM business. How do we update content and compete with our own affiliates, who can more easily show a blog on their landing pages without it seeming strange.

We've added reviews and a blog snippet to help in that regard-

#12 DanielC

DanielC

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
    • posts 63

Posted 05 January 2012 - 04:41 PM

Add the blog and post fresh unique content linking thru out the site. Keep on backlinking that homepage as normal and G will keep ranking you good.