• Create Account

Hey Guest, Welcome to Traffic Planet!

Sign up today in order to gain access to a vast range of features including the ability to create new topics, send private messages, Facebook & Twitter integration and MUCH more!

• RSS Feed
  • Algo Update: Dec 17/18

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
    13 replies to this topic

#1 Initial Effort

Initial Effort

Top Member

• Active Seller
    • PipPipPip
    • posts 1,467

Posted 20 December 2011 - 11:38 PM

Hey Guys,

I've noticed that this Sunday's update was particularly harsh on a lot of websites. Just by monitoring the initial rankings of websites in the SESlingshot program, I'm seeing some people took some pretty big falls. I'm seeing sites with no content above the fold getting hit. Like sites with a lot of images or sliders above the fold.

Jacob

Shockingly Effective SEO Services: SE Slingshot

#2 graham23s

graham23s

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
    • posts 97

Posted 20 December 2011 - 11:46 PM

Hi Jacob,

I thought there was no more updates until after the new year, or was that after this update mind you lol

cheers

Graham

#3 Initial Effort

Initial Effort

Top Member

• Active Seller
    • PipPipPip
    • posts 1,467

Posted 20 December 2011 - 11:49 PM

Where did you read that about there being no more updates? I must have missed that??

#4 trakker

trakker

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
    • posts 72

Posted 21 December 2011 - 12:53 AM

Where did you read that about there being no more updates? I must have missed that??

Well, like most news, it gets skewed a bit upon repeating.

Google (matt cutts) tweeted that there would be NO MAJOR PANDA update before christmas.

Never said there would be no updates at all.

http://www.seroundtable.com/google-panda-holiday-break-14455.html

Edited by trakker, 21 December 2011 - 12:53 AM.

#5 uberfly

uberfly

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
    • posts 43
    • LocationSarasota, FL

Posted 21 December 2011 - 01:30 AM

After sitting on this the last few days, I believe this update had more to do with the content on your website, than the backlinks.

We had about 10% of our websites hit in this update, and they were all using a wide variety of link building tactics. However, they all had ONE thing in common. Each one was in the aging process. What that means is that, before we attack a market, we launch a few websites with some blog posts and a few pages and start the link building process. We like to have about 15 pages of content on the website. As part of this process, we also setup Contact Us and About Us pages. However, we hadn't put anything on those pages because we hadn't finished building out the website.

Most of these sites had recently started to do well and some had reached the first page of Google for our main keywords. Google (or a manual reviewer) must have seen these blank About/Contact pages and given us the boot.

If you're website was recently hit, did you also have content issues like us?

Hey Guys,

I've noticed that this Sunday's update was particularly harsh on a lot of websites. Just by monitoring the initial rankings of websites in the SESlingshot program, I'm seeing some people took some pretty big falls. I'm seeing sites with no content above the fold getting hit. Like sites with a lot of images or sliders above the fold.

Jacob

#6 melontrades

melontrades

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
    • posts 35

Posted 21 December 2011 - 07:35 AM

I notice that when I get a site on page one if I add fresh content the placement will usually stick or improve. And I try to update once week once it hits page 1 for a few weeks anyway.

#7 trishworks4u

trishworks4u

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
    • posts 50

Posted 21 December 2011 - 03:04 PM

Hey Guys,

Jacob

I wasn't "hit" with any algo update on any of my sites and do have "images above the fold" on many. They're affiliate review sites and I have banner ads in the sidebar. I also have 2 sites with sliders. No intentions of re-designing any of my sites as they all have Page 1 rankings and the competition isn't doing anything much different w/ their on-page.

I have tried SE Slingshot on one of these sites and, frankly, the kw that I used it on didn't budge at all. I know that all services don't work for all people and all sites, but the fact that it "didn't" work has nothing to do w/ the presence of a slider imo.

#8 Initial Effort

Initial Effort

Top Member

• Active Seller
    • PipPipPip
    • posts 1,467

Posted 21 December 2011 - 09:39 PM

Here's an example of a website with the slider that got hit by the update from @ash.

Posted Image

and then recovered after some link building.

#9 JVall

JVall

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
    • posts 37

Posted 21 December 2011 - 11:01 PM

If his site was hit specifically because of a slider, then I doubt additional link building would have recovered it. I seriously doubt they just updated their algo to target sites with sliders and images above the fold( I have many and wasn't impacted either).. That would be ludicrious. His site took a dip for other reasons than having a slider above the fold.

Edited by JVall, 21 December 2011 - 11:01 PM.

#10 Initial Effort

Initial Effort

Top Member

• Active Seller
    • PipPipPip
    • posts 1,467

Posted 21 December 2011 - 11:04 PM

What I am seeing is an absolutely ridiculous update that seems to be onpage thing and the only way to compensate appears to be more backlinks. Most likely we'll see this tweak undone. I'm not saying it's just a slider, but heavy image use above the fold that you see with a lot of wordpress and business themes. I'm cross comparing against about 300 sites.

#11 asiammyself

asiammyself

• Pip
    • posts 6

Posted 22 December 2011 - 03:13 AM

I thought there was something going on a site of mine ranking on page one got a little shake down 2-3 spots. Trying to figure out is going on and running some extra link building campaigns to see if I can bring it back up. The site does have an image above the fold but I don't know if I would pin it on that. I'll come back with an update if things go back to normal.

#12 quinnmodel

quinnmodel

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
    • posts 47

Posted 22 December 2011 - 05:13 AM

Loos Like The Algo was JUST tweaked again ... This time Its a Good one at least on my side!

#13 bdude

bdude

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
    • PipPipPip
    • posts 242
    • LocationUS

Posted 22 December 2011 - 03:37 PM

Not for my money sites. Not good, not good at all. Anyone else?

#14 SEOInquiry

SEOInquiry

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
    • posts 57

Posted 22 December 2011 - 05:30 PM

I've had some sites hit and others are increasing. One site took a tumble (big one) on the 8th, but recovered on the 13th (came back stronger). It bombed again on the 16th and is still gone. It does have an image slider above the fold.

One note of interest is both times it tanked in G it went up many places in Yahoo and Bing at the same time. When it came back on the 13th it fell considerably on Yahoo and Bing.