• Create Account

Hey Guest, Welcome to Traffic Planet!

Sign up today in order to gain access to a vast range of features including the ability to create new topics, send private messages, Facebook & Twitter integration and MUCH more!

• RSS Feed
  • I Think Only Terry Can Help Me

• Please log in to reply
    13 replies to this topic

#1 turk

turk

• posts 22
    • Locationistanbul Turkey

Posted 25 November 2011 - 05:33 AM

Hi Terry,

Excuse me for going quite direct here:-) I have a question I believe you can help me with;

I bought a PR4 aged domain with several PR3-PR4 subpages,I obvioulsy would like to make the most of it and recreate those
    pages.For example www.myageddomain/?p=416 first I could not even create the page as wordpress did not allow to use this permalink,then I tought to
    create a brand new page and redirect www.myageddomain/?p=416 to it (it may still work but I guess you will need to wait to see the PR transferred),later I found
    a plugin called permalink editor at http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/permalink-editor/ .It actually allows you to make the permalink whatever you want,finally I was able to crteate
    exact URL I want as www.myageddomain/?p=416 with a brand new post but when you hit the URL now ,it gives "page not found I cannot see the content,do you know how we can fix this?

Thanks.

Edited by turk, 25 November 2011 - 05:33 AM.

#2 _Richard

_Richard

Forum Moderator

• Forum Support
    • posts 5,243
    • LocationNW Arkansas

Posted 25 November 2011 - 03:26 PM

Hi Terry,

Excuse me for going quite direct here:-) I have a question I believe you can help me with;

I bought a PR4 aged domain with several PR3-PR4 subpages,I obvioulsy would like to make the most of it and recreate those
    pages.For example www.myageddomain/?p=416 first I could not even create the page as wordpress did not allow to use this permalink,then I tought to
    create a brand new page and redirect www.myageddomain/?p=416 to it (it may still work but I guess you will need to wait to see the PR transferred),later I found
    a plugin called permalink editor at http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/permalink-editor/ .It actually allows you to make the permalink whatever you want,finally I was able to crteate
    exact URL I want as www.myageddomain/?p=416 with a brand new post but when you hit the URL now ,it gives "page not found I cannot see the content,do you know how we can fix this?

Thanks.

Well I am not Terry but I will take a stab at it.

My guess is that you have changed the permalink structure from the default. I am pretty sure that if you change it from ?p=416 structure to /postname/ or some variant your site will no longer process any urls that use the ?p= structure.

If you change it back to the default I imagine it will work. .......

Sometimes I have a link in my signature to a product. If I do assume it is an affiliate link and I might make a couple of bucks off it...................................

#3 turk

turk

• posts 22

Posted 25 November 2011 - 04:41 PM

Well I am not Terry but I will take a stab at it.

My guess is that you have changed the permalink structure from the default. I am pretty sure that if you change it from ?p=416 structure to /postname/ or some variant your site will no longer process any urls that use the ?p= structure.

If you change it back to the default I imagine it will work. .......

Hi mate

It was just to have some attention,thanks for the reply.

I have changed it back to the default but it gives ?p= with a different number than I need and you can't change it,does that mean I cannot reuse a page a with a default permalink structure?

#4 Blah Blah Blah

Blah Blah Blah

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
    • posts 387

Posted 25 November 2011 - 06:09 PM

Wordpress should allow you to create permalinks without the assistance of a 3rd party plugin. Go to Settings>Permalinks the select Custom Structure and place /%postname%/ then as you create new pages/post you will be able to set the URL to be whatever you wish. Forget about having any other way.

#5 _Richard

_Richard

Forum Moderator

• Forum Support
    • posts 5,243
    • LocationNW Arkansas

Posted 25 November 2011 - 06:29 PM

Hi mate

It was just to have some attention,thanks for the reply.

I have changed it back to the default but it gives ?p= with a different number than I need and you can't change it,does that mean I cannot reuse a page a with a default permalink structure?

I generally just 301 them so some guessing going on.......

Not able to change it even with your plugin?

The default does not let you edit the url, I figured that was what the plugin was for, with /postname you already can modify them so not sure why you would need it.

If not I bet you could manually change it in the database. If I remember correctly it would need to be changed in more than one place so the easy way to do it would be to export the database as an sql file. Do a search and replace and then upload the changed file into the database. On a new site that has not been loaded down with posts yet it should not take more than a few minutes. Make sure when you export you include the replace function.

Sometimes I have a link in my signature to a product. If I do assume it is an affiliate link and I might make a couple of bucks off it...................................

#6 turk

turk

• posts 22

Posted 26 November 2011 - 09:19 AM

Wordpress should allow you to create permalinks without the assistance of a 3rd party plugin. Go to Settings>Permalinks the select Custom Structure and place /%postname%/ then as you create new pages/post you will be able to set the URL to be whatever you wish. Forget about having any other way.

No you can't do it,if you try to get ?p=416 it gives you p416

#7 turk

turk

• posts 22

Posted 26 November 2011 - 09:21 AM

I generally just 301 them so some guessing going on.......

Not able to change it even with your plugin?

The default does not let you edit the url, I figured that was what the plugin was for, with /postname you already can modify them so not sure why you would need it.

If not I bet you could manually change it in the database. If I remember correctly it would need to be changed in more than one place so the easy way to do it would be to export the database as an sql file. Do a search and replace and then upload the changed file into the database. On a new site that has not been loaded down with posts yet it should not take more than a few minutes. Make sure when you export you include the replace function.

I will 301 them if I can't do anything else (do you 301 individual pages or redirect all of them to the homepage)

#8 _Richard

_Richard

Forum Moderator

• Forum Support
    • posts 5,243
    • LocationNW Arkansas

Posted 26 November 2011 - 10:50 AM

I will 301 them if I can't do anything else (do you 301 individual pages or redirect all of them to the homepage)

If a page has PR or if I am creating a related site and want the traffic to to particular page I try to save it. Pages without PR and pages I really have no interest in using I just 301 to the main page.

#9 Blah Blah Blah

Blah Blah Blah

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
    • posts 387

Posted 26 November 2011 - 07:45 PM

No you can't do it,if you try to get ?p=416 it gives you p416

Well then I either don't fully understand your issue or you have a very unique version of Wordpress.

Edited by Blah Blah Blah, 26 November 2011 - 07:46 PM.

#10 TerryKyle

TerryKyle

Administrator

• Owner
    • posts 1,215

Posted 09 December 2011 - 11:24 PM

Hi Turk,

Sorry it took me a while to find your post.

Here are some options:

1. A page-to-page redirect (in cpanel or htaccess file) is a definite way to go and you can call the new (target) page something easy and straightforward of course e.g. keyword.html

2. Try uninstalling your Wordpress installation (after copying the content of course) and re-installing it. I have found that WP ain't too keen at all on renaming URLs after the original one has been created.

Update us on how that goes T.

#11 n3o

n3o

• posts 58

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:40 AM

or i think you can hack into the sql and insert id no 416 for your post

#12 slohc

slohc

• posts 20

Posted 21 April 2012 - 01:14 PM

or i think you can hack into the sql and insert id no 416 for your post

I think if I were Turk, I will not do this, the "partial" hack of sql can even make your wordpress worst, unless you are a php-sql expert

#13 _Richard

_Richard

Forum Moderator

• Forum Support
    • posts 5,243
    • LocationNW Arkansas

Posted 21 April 2012 - 02:05 PM

I think if I were Turk, I will not do this, the "partial" hack of sql can even make your wordpress worst, unless you are a php-sql expert

Making edits to your database via phpmyadmin are really not that hard. While you do have to be careful (and should always make a backup first) in most cases you do not really need to be an expert..

#14 brandonbaker

brandonbaker

• Active Seller
    • posts 630

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:44 PM

Only Terry can help you?

What?

Private Homepage Backlinks II

10 OBL - Full Link Report - Zero Foot Print