• Create Account

Hey Guest, Welcome to Traffic Planet!

Sign up today in order to gain access to a vast range of features including the ability to create new topics, send private messages, Facebook & Twitter integration and MUCH more!

• RSS Feed
  • Question about a clients site...

• Please log in to reply
    8 replies to this topic

#1 rocky

rocky

• Pip
    • posts 3

Posted 28 September 2011 - 06:05 PM

So I recently started taking on local clients, and have been having some success!

Would like to get some opinions on the following scenario...

I'll use a plumber for the example....

So I got hired by the plumber, and got him top ranking for two different kw's - now he is wanting to remove his current website, as he is using a website builder company and is getting charged 40 a month for the site...

He also has a separate blog that he'd like to switch all his promotion to..

My question is.. obviously I have offered to put up another site in it's place, however he says he cannot afford that right now.. So should I just 301 his current domain, to his existing blog. Then continue to promote the blog? Or will he lose his current rankings for the site I got ranked once the site comes down?

Thanks in advance for any help I can get! :)

P.S. Thanks Terry for the forum! ;)

Don

#2 Lapeer SEO

Lapeer SEO

• Pip
    • posts 6

Posted 28 September 2011 - 08:02 PM

Hi Don,

I'm new to this forum, but not to working with local clients.

Did you initially build the site for him and then marketed it? And he is now switching due to cost?

At any rate, if this other company is taking over the site you can certainly have him hire you to re-direct the marketing you did for the old site and point those links to the blog. If they are re-directed he won't lose the rankings but there will be some shifting during the turnover. Google will still have those links in their database, but if they are not pointing to the blog, they'll eventually drop down in the SERPS.

In the end, it's your choice how you want to proceed with the client. You can definitely give him the proposal to point the links you created to the blog and see what he says.

Hope that helps.

Patrick Whitson

So I recently started taking on local clients, and have been having some success!

So I got hired by the plumber, and got him top ranking for two different kw's - now he is wanting to remove his current website, as he is using a website builder company and is getting charged 40 a month for the site...

My question is.. obviously I have offered to put up another site in it's place, however he says he cannot afford that right now.. So should I just 301 his current domain, to his existing blog. Then continue to promote the blog? Or will he lose his current rankings for the site I got ranked once the site comes down?

Thanks in advance for any help I can get! :)

P.S. Thanks Terry for the forum! ;)

Don

#3 rocky

rocky

• Pip
    • posts 3

Posted 28 September 2011 - 11:11 PM

Thanks Patrick for your reply! No I did not build the site, it was a site he had built himself, just had no rankings... so I promoted the site and got it ranking, now he want s to keep his domain name, but not use the "site builder" site anymore, so should I just redirect his domain to his blog? Will his rankings for that domain continue to stick?

Thanks again!

Don

#4 _Richard

_Richard

Forum Moderator

• Forum Support
    • posts 5,161
    • LocationNW Arkansas

Posted 28 September 2011 - 11:33 PM

Which domain does he like best?

You could always use the domain with the links and rankings and just exchange it for the one with the blog content so the blog is now on the ranked domain. Your could also park the domain on the blog domain as well rather than doing a 301.

Are most of your links to the main page or did you build to interior pages as well?

No matter what you do you are going to have a rankings drop even if it is only temporary. A lot will depend on how well the blog content matches up with the keywords you are already ranking for, it is not only links that matter so that content is important as well.

Sometimes I have a link in my signature to a product. If I do assume it is an affiliate link and I might make a couple of bucks off it...................................

#5 Paultf

Paultf

• Pip
    • posts 1
    • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 29 September 2011 - 01:06 PM

The real question to ask him - Is he getting any traffic and clients from the site?
    If your ranking efforts are delivering traffic but no conversions or new clients,
    he needs to address the content and messaging on the site.

Does he have a system to track where his new clients are coming from?
    If he has any type of analytics installed and you see he is getting traffic
    but no conversions, maybe you could sell him on the need to let you at
    least build a basic site with a better sales message and lead capture information.

Sell him on reworking the messaging on the current site so it converts
    to clients. With clients, he can afford to have you build a new site.
    The bottom line for him is new clients, not rankings. I've landed
    a lot of new clients doing this.

#6 rocky

rocky

• Pip
    • posts 3

Posted 29 September 2011 - 07:20 PM

Great info!

Thanks for all the imput guys!

Don

#7 Peter.A

Peter.A

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
    • posts 31

Posted 17 March 2012 - 04:32 AM

Do you know the reason why he act like this? May be this site is down ranking and he want to change? I agree with Paultf opinion.

#8 fiverbacklinks

fiverbacklinks

Advanced Member

• Banned
    • PipPipPip
    • posts 30

Posted 11 May 2012 - 09:36 AM

HI,

Just to put my input.
    may be he didnt like your work or may be your price.
    call him ask for a appointment and try to not let it go.

Regards

#9 markoseo

markoseo

Advanced Member

• Active Seller
    • PipPipPip
    • posts 122

Posted 21 May 2012 - 05:00 AM

Thanks in advance for any help I can get! Posted Image

P.S. Thanks Terry for the forum! Posted Image

Don

Well, as I used to have same issue with yours. Well, I think you should not redirect it because ranking will be lost. It can stay for short time, but when you stop doing building links, Google can recognize this. I think he can promote both blog and website at same time. He can put his blog on website that you already ranked. So his website won't lose ranking, also he can get traffic for his blog.