• Create Account

Hey Guest, Welcome to Traffic Planet!

Sign up today in order to gain access to a vast range of features including the ability to create new topics, send private messages, Facebook & Twitter integration and MUCH more!

• RSS Feed
  • Anchor Text Suggestions For Those Still Scratching Their Heads

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
    43 replies to this topic

#1 Initial Effort

Initial Effort

Top Member

• Active Seller
    • posts 1,471

Posted 17 May 2012 - 01:10 AM

Example: I own a website called widgets.com and want to rank for widgets

1. Building click here, widgets.com, my website anchors probably aren't going to help people coming out of the penalty faster. So as long as you are building links you probably should go for a variation of your keyword like blue widgets, red widgets, green widgets, buy widgets. That way when the penalty is released on the next Penguin filter update your site ranks for your main keyword and several others.

2. Chances are for most competitive terms you are still going to need HPBL and blog posts from a network. Try get links from many smaller networks and don't leverage one too hard. Also take a look at their sales copy and see how the network was set up. What is the OBL? Are they selling sidebar links too? These links will probably be a smaller portion of your portfolio than they were in the past, but the fact is they still work.

3. Profile links, blog comment links still work great in your second tier. Heck they probably still work just fine if you are varying your anchor text in your first Tier provided that you don't have a lot of links dying causing an anti-link velocity penalty similar to what is seen when a network like BMR is deindexed.

3. Sometimes you can work yourself out of the Penguin by 301 redirecting your site to a new domain. Yes, I know this is not an option for everyone and sometimes it does pass the penalty through. Generally redirect to an aged non-penalized domain, PR of this domain does not matter.

4. Web 2.0 properties still work, what most people are failing to do is get them indexed. It is almost laughable how many properties are created and do not get indexed. The only way we've found to get these indexed at a high rate when using spun content is NLI + Linklicious + Lindexed + Web 2.0 blasts + Profiles + Blog Comments. Also consider saving all of your account login information for these accounts.

5. Remember not every link you build shows up in MajesticSEO so if you are reviewing your link profile, remember you probably have a higher percentage of your main anchor text than you think. In general, a good way to counter this is to run article blasts, web 2.0s, blog posts, social bookmarks, wiki links etc In most cases, you can just go to Google Keyword Tool and come up with a good links.

Shockingly Effective SEO Services: SE Slingshot

#2 Falian

Falian

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
    • posts 246

Posted 17 May 2012 - 01:54 AM

Overall this is an awesome post dude, just want to nitpick something:

1. Building click here, widgets.com, my website anchors probably aren't going to help people coming out of the penalty faster. So as long as you are building links you probably should go for a variation of your keyword like blue widgets, red widgets, green widgets, buy widgets. That way when the penalty is released on the next Penguin filter update your site ranks for your main keyword and several others.

In my webinar on natural anchor text diversity, I drive home the point that SEO's should build anchor text that is as natural looking as possible. You want your profile to look as close to a natural site, because then your risk of a penalty is considerably lower.

Penguin 1.0 penalized website's with unnaturally high exact match anchor text. Future penguin updates will continue to penalize site's with unnatural off-site optimization. If you look at websites with a natural backlink portfolio, you will see a ton of generic and unanchored backlinks. Once again, I recommend mimicking what we see naturally occur on the internet.. This is a fairly accurate breakdown of what natural anchor text looks like:

Exact Matches: 33.53%
    Partial Matches: 12.89%
    Generic : 20.25%
    URL Matches : 33.31%

This data was obtained by looking around 100 top sites on the net, full data is here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ajy-T_bQFud5dFYycl9NZnk0cV8tZnlEanhFVFhNM3c#gid=0

I go over this data and explain the study in my webinar:

Edited by Falian, 21 May 2012 - 06:23 PM.

Check out my new Startup, Electric Styles. We specialize in manufacturing Light Up Bras. Light Up Bras are the hottest new style at raves, clubs, and festivals. 

#3 rodelio.lagahit

rodelio.lagahit

• posts 69
    • LocationCebu, Philippines

Posted 17 May 2012 - 02:34 AM

nice and very informative..
    Hire a virtual assistant or a social media manager doing what they're told to do!

#4 AvD

AvD

• posts 78

Posted 17 May 2012 - 03:31 AM

awesome thread, I see the list of anchors in my webmaster tools but how can I see the percentage each anchor holds?

#5 brandonbaker

brandonbaker

• Active Seller
    • posts 630

Posted 17 May 2012 - 03:39 AM

Overall this is an awesome post dude, just want to nitpick something:

In my webinar on natural anchor text diversity, I drive home the point that SEO's should build anchor text that is as natural looking as possible. You want your profile to look as close to a natural site, because then your risk of a penalty is considerably lower.

Penguin 1.0 penalized website's with unnaturally high exact match anchor text. Future penguin updates will continue to penalize site's with unnatural off-site optimization. If you look at websites with a natural backlink portfolio, you will see a ton of generic and unanchored backlinks. Once again, I recommend mimicking what we see naturally occur on the internet.. This is a fairly accurate breakdown of what natural anchor text looks like:

This data was obtained by looking around 100 top sites on the net, full data is here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ajy-T_bQFud5dFYycl9NZnk0cV8tZnlEanhFVFhNM3c#gid=0

I go over this data and explain the study in my webinar: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQnCEDRQsJQ

This is great stuff, Falian. Thanks.

Private Homepage Backlinks II

10 OBL - Full Link Report - Zero Foot Print

#6 yougotmymoney

yougotmymoney

• posts 544

Posted 17 May 2012 - 03:43 AM

yea that was a great video he did.

#7 concept

concept

• posts 17

Posted 17 May 2012 - 05:16 AM

Hello can you please eloborate a little on what exact match, partial match and generic is in detail?

#8 _Richard

_Richard

Forum Moderator

• Forum Support
    • posts 5,248
    • LocationNW Arkansas

Posted 17 May 2012 - 11:25 AM

nice and very informative..

This is great stuff, Falian. Thanks.

yea that was a great video he did.

or we could use the button and give them some rep.....................................

Sometimes I have a link in my signature to a product. If I do assume it is an affiliate link and I might make a couple of bucks off it...................................

#9 _Richard

_Richard

Forum Moderator

• Forum Support
    • posts 5,248
    • LocationNW Arkansas

Posted 17 May 2012 - 11:30 AM

awesome thread, I see the list of anchors in my webmaster tools but how can I see the percentage each anchor holds?

First off you can not trust wmt to have a complete list of your links.

You have to do the math. Divide the number of links that have your anchor text by your total number of links. So if you have 50 exact anchors and 100 total links then you have 50/100 or 50% exact anchors.

Hello can you please eloborate a little on what exact match, partial match and generic is in detail?

If your keyword is red widgets then

exact match = red widgets

partial match= large widgets, small widgets, fast widgets etc etc

generic = click here, link, great site etc etc

Sometimes I have a link in my signature to a product. If I do assume it is an affiliate link and I might make a couple of bucks off it...................................

#10 SEOHelpz

SEOHelpz

• Active Seller
    • posts 540

Posted 17 May 2012 - 11:40 AM

Nice to see some sensible post after a while, fed up with all crimping and crying about Penguin and Panda. Many are spreading news that backlinks don't work any more. I feel they spread it for some purpose, may be to scare everyone away so they have less competition , or coming up with so called white hat solutions.

Have you checked our Trinity Pack - It has social signals, knowem kinda links, WEB 2, PR links and more ...
    Now you can make upto $20/per order by promoting it ? PM me.

#11 Dreidel Hustler

Dreidel Hustler

• posts 17

Posted 17 May 2012 - 07:49 PM

First time, long time. Curious about the anchor text link distribution. Is this based on the root domain or the raw links? If the link with specific anchor text appears on several pages on one root domain, are all of those links included in the distribution breakdown or would it just be counted once. Sorry if it's a dumb question, as I'm still learning 'n such.

#12 Jubei

Jubei

• posts 21

Posted 17 May 2012 - 08:24 PM

Hi Falian enjoyed watching your video. Do you have the list of generic words you mention, which you will make available in the video?

#13 AvD

AvD

• posts 78

Posted 17 May 2012 - 08:58 PM

First off you can not trust wmt to have a complete list of your links.

You have to do the math. Divide the number of links that have your anchor text by your total number of links. So if you have 50 exact anchors and 100 total links then you have 50/100 or 50% exact anchors.

Thanks for your reply, I understand but it doesn't tell me the number of anchor links I have, are there any free tool that will show my how many of each anchor I have without having to pay a monthly fee?

#14 _Richard

_Richard

Forum Moderator

• Forum Support
    • posts 5,248
    • LocationNW Arkansas

Posted 17 May 2012 - 09:09 PM

Thanks for your reply, I understand but it doesn't tell me the number of anchor links I have, are there any free tool that will show my how many of each anchor I have without having to pay a monthly fee?

Spyglass has a free version.

You really should be keeping track of your links when you build them. If you have a list of the ones you built then you can run them through the scrapebox link checker which will give you the anchor text.

#15 Falian

Falian

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
    • posts 246

Posted 17 May 2012 - 09:22 PM

Hi Falian enjoyed watching your video. Do you have the list of generic words you mention, which you will make available in the video?

Here ya go: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ajy-T_bQFud5dHlVeldZMGc0MHFwbndQeU52Z0kxdkE#gid=0

Check out my new Startup, Electric Styles. We specialize in manufacturing Light Up Bras. Light Up Bras are the hottest new style at raves, clubs, and festivals. 

#16 belforter

belforter

• posts 22

Posted 18 May 2012 - 01:50 PM

...I understand but it doesn't tell me the number of anchor links I have, are there any free tool that will show my how many of each anchor I have without having to pay a monthly fee?

I second what ARVolund suggests with SEO SpyGlass. I use it all the time. The free version is excellent, and has a nice Statistics button to help you analyze your links in all sorts of ways, including anchor text percentages, but also IP address, PR (page and domain), country, URL etc.

#17 neil_patmore

neil_patmore

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
    • posts 205
    • LocationUK

Posted 18 May 2012 - 04:38 PM

Thank you Falian, great video.and great list.

#18 JasPets

JasPets

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
    • posts 297
    • LocationKansas

Posted 19 May 2012 - 02:05 PM

Falian, you rock! Two quickies.

1 - You comment that maybe google is devaluing links compared to penalizing. On my site they're penalizing PAGES that have over optimized anchor text backlinks. I have pages with no backlinks and virtually no content outranking pages WITH content and backlinks (that have over optimized anchors) for specific keywords. It's pretty clear that they're penalizing specific pages on my site, but not the whole site, and not just devaluing links.

2 - I'm not an SEO pro. Just one of the things I have to do as a small business owner. Am currently working on adding generic anchors. Got that under control (I think).

What are the easy ways to build / automate some URLs as links? Without risking building a bunch of links that could actually hurt in other ways. This is something I'm STILL missing in my portfolio.

Edited by JasPets, 19 May 2012 - 02:07 PM.

#19 colourofspring

colourofspring

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
    • posts 386

Posted 19 May 2012 - 02:15 PM

It's pretty clear that they're penalizing specific pages on my site, but not the whole site, and not just devaluing links.

That's what I am seeing too. There seems to be this myth being perpetuated (especially by Danny Sullivan) that Penguin just devalues links, but it's not true at all. There are penalties taking place. I had pages that ranked higher prior to any link building than they are now (talking top 20 prior to link building, not in top 1000 after Penguin, April 24th) - that's not link loss. I think some people want to believe it's just link loss so as not to believe negative SEO can exist (especially Danny Sullivan).

Now having said that, I believe that all penalties from Penguin are automated penalties, and they may well be associated with anchor variation (or lack thereof) so I'm hoping that the next Penguin update will automatically depenalise sites that now have a more varied anchor text.

Edited by colourofspring, 19 May 2012 - 02:17 PM.

#20 JasPets

JasPets

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
    • posts 297
    • LocationKansas

Posted 19 May 2012 - 02:17 PM

I think some people want to believe it's just link loss so as not to believe negative SEO can exist (especially Danny Sullivan).

Agreed. Most of the google butt kissers / white hatters seem to fall under this category of negative SEO deniers.