• Create Account

Hey Guest, Welcome to Traffic Planet!

Sign up today in order to gain access to a vast range of features including the ability to create new topics, send private messages, Facebook & Twitter integration and MUCH more!

• RSS Feed
  • Another 53 changes in G rolling out now

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
    24 replies to this topic

#1 igl00

igl00

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
    • PipPipPip
    • posts 305

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:14 PM

http://insidesearch.blogspot.com/2012/05/search-quality-highlights-53-changes.html

lets see if something come backs or theres more drops :)

MOST POPULAR BLACKHAT SEO BLOG - free and paid methods + non spammy mailing list. VISIT,READ,SUBSCRIBE TODAY!

#2 Falian

Falian

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
    • PipPipPip
    • posts 246

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:41 PM

No freshness boost for low-quality content. [launch codename “NoRot”, project codename “Freshness”] We have modified a classifier we use to promote fresh content to exclude fresh content identified as particularly low-quality.

This one is interesting, I wonder how they are determining whether content "low-quality".

Check out my new Startup, Electric Styles. We specialize in manufacturing Light Up Bras. Light Up Bras are the hottest new style at raves, clubs, and festivals. 

#3 Falian

Falian

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
    • PipPipPip
    • posts 246

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:43 PM

These two changes are interesting as well

• Increase base index size by 15%. [project codename "Indexing"] The base search index is our main index for serving search results and every query that comes into Google is matched against this index. This change increases the number of documents served by that index by 15%. *Note: We’re constantly tuning the size of our different indexes and changes may not always appear in these blog posts.
    • New index tier. [launch codename "cantina", project codename "Indexing"] We keep our index in “tiers” where different documents are indexed at different rates depending on how relevant they are likely to be to users. This month we introduced an additional indexing tier to support continued comprehensiveness in search results.

Check out my new Startup, Electric Styles. We specialize in manufacturing Light Up Bras. Light Up Bras are the hottest new style at raves, clubs, and festivals. 

#4 maretus

maretus

Advanced Member

• Active Seller
    • PipPipPip
    • posts 229

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:45 PM

I wonder if Google has always rolled our changes so quickly and they are just more vocal and transparent about their algorithm updates now, or if they have really ramped up the algorithm updates lately to combat ""web spam"".

#5 igl00

igl00

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
    • PipPipPip
    • posts 305

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:49 PM

hard to do any tests now with all this changed done weekly

MOST POPULAR BLACKHAT SEO BLOG - free and paid methods + non spammy mailing list. VISIT,READ,SUBSCRIBE TODAY!

#6 AdamWB

AdamWB

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
    • PipPipPip
    • posts 404

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:54 PM

I guarantee they are just being more transparent about their updates - which is something they have always been criticized for.

They have always had a TON of updates every year. Now, they are just publicizing them more. Nothing new IMO.

Edited by AdamWB, 04 May 2012 - 09:54 PM.

#7 Falian

Falian

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
    • PipPipPip
    • posts 246

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:56 PM

I guarantee they are just being more transparent about their updates - which is something they have always been criticized for.

They have always had a TON of updates every year. Now, they are just publicizing them more. Nothing new IMO.

Yeah, none of these changes seem too impactful. Except for the Penguin update, of course.

#8 gittar1122

gittar1122

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
    • PipPipPip
    • posts 119

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:23 PM

Yeah, none of these changes seem too impactful. Except for the Penguin update, of course.

^^ this
    Mind

#9 brandonbaker

brandonbaker

Advanced Member

• Active Seller
    • PipPipPip
    • posts 630

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:32 PM

hard to do any tests now with all this changed done weekly

Going to have to disagree here. Sure, they're being more transparent about their updates recently, but they're no denying that Penguin and Panda have been much more devastating to SEOs than your regular old Google updates of years past. These updates mentioned in the OP are minor, common, everyday. But "major" updates seem to have gotten much more frequent and much more damning to SEOs.

Private Homepage Backlinks II

10 OBL - Full Link Report - Zero Foot Print

#10 heyman

heyman

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
    • PipPipPip
    • posts 137

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:33 PM

The title of this thread makes it sound like they're releasing 53 changes right now. But this is a post about the 53 changes made in April.

#11 Fishingman1

Fishingman1

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
    • PipPipPip
    • posts 447
    • LocationThird Star on the left and straight on until morning

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:33 PM

They certainly are rolling out changes at a cracking pace.
    I would wonder how many they have up their sleeves.
    This has clearly been in planning for a long time.
    You do not make up this stuff on a coaster in a pub, it takes planning implementing and executing.
    Long time they have been cooking this up.
    I don't think it will go on for ever.
    I do think that they are saving the best and probably the most horrible for us until last.
    When it all turns to Crap Go Fishing

#12 googlealchemist

googlealchemist

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
    • PipPipPip
    • posts 350
    • LocationSpare Oom

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:52 PM

I'm also wondering how they are determining quality for the freshness related aspect of it...any ideas? Grammar, lsi, something new that they couldnt do before?

These two changes are interesting as well

• Increase base index size by 15%. [project codename "Indexing"] The base search index is our main index for serving search results and every query that comes into Google is matched against this index. This change increases the number of documents served by that index by 15%. *Note: We’re constantly tuning the size of our different indexes and changes may not always appear in these blog posts.
    • New index tier. [launch codename "cantina", project codename "Indexing"] We keep our index in “tiers” where different documents are indexed at different rates depending on how relevant they are likely to be to users. This month we introduced an additional indexing tier to support continued comprehensiveness in search results.

I wonder how 15% base index helps....just a bigger lot to compare and grab the best results from? As from a user point of view, who ever goes past the first page or maybe 2-3? Let alone hundreds or thousands of results?

Index tier...date based trend sort of update improvement? Another reason to create content working trends into it
    Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

#13 LinkVariety

LinkVariety

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
    • PipPipPip
    • posts 153

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:57 PM

I think the F1 leader boards and sports results are interesting, another step toward an "answer engine", not good for publishers.

#14 Falian

Falian

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
    • PipPipPip
    • posts 246

Posted 05 May 2012 - 12:13 AM

I'm also wondering how they are determining quality for the freshness related aspect of it...any ideas? Grammar, lsi, something new that they couldnt do before?

I wonder how 15% base index helps....just a bigger lot to compare and grab the best results from? As from a user point of view, who ever goes past the first page or maybe 2-3? Let alone hundreds or thousands of results?

Index tier...date based trend sort of update improvement? Another reason to create content working trends into it

The interesting thing is that he uses the word "documents", instead of sites or websites. That leads me to believe that Google increased the # of indexed documents (.pdf, etc) by 15%.

#15 AdamWB

AdamWB

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
    • PipPipPip
    • posts 404

Posted 05 May 2012 - 12:41 AM

Going to have to disagree here. Sure, they're being more transparent about their updates recently, but they're no denying that Penguin and Panda have been much more devastating to SEOs than your regular old Google updates of years past. These updates mentioned in the OP are minor, common, everyday. But "major" updates seem to have gotten much more frequent and much more damning to SEOs.

I feel like the stream of updates has stayed pretty consistent throughout the years. I think there's a lot more people into SEO now compared to a decade ago - so the impacts seem more widespread and publicized. Not to mention the fact that Google is getting "smarter" at detecting spam, which makes their updates feel even more prominent and 'major'. A lot of people got hit recently because they were using tactics that were extremely popular, so the updates felt more devastating. But an update is an update in my book - 3 possible outcomes with every single one (up, down, equal). Just my opinion of course, obviously very few people know exactly how many big or small updates Google does per year.

#16 igl00

igl00

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
    • PipPipPip
    • posts 305

Posted 05 May 2012 - 01:15 AM

they sure put up new updates all the time, yet after the big penguin they see there is a mess so we can assume this 'anchor fixes' will make new changes in upcoming days, that will be preety transparent.

#17 webby

webby

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
    • posts 46

Posted 05 May 2012 - 01:44 AM

nevermind

Edited by webby, 05 May 2012 - 04:24 AM.

#18 liquidone

liquidone

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
    • posts 85

Posted 05 May 2012 - 04:40 AM

I find this one to be the most interesting given all the complaints and analysis on Penguin. "Anchors bug fix. [launch codename "Organochloride", project codename "Anchors"] This change fixed a bug related to our handling of anchors."

Is anyone seeing any changes in the SERPs?

Edited by liquidone, 05 May 2012 - 04:41 AM.

#19 SEO-Queen

SEO-Queen

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
    • posts 73
    • LocationAustralia

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:30 AM

They also mention about "authority sites" in there as well so I wonder if they are giving more preference in search results to authority sites are people were complaining that 1 page sites with blank pages were showing up?

I'm still tossing up whether to continue building mini-sites or go down the authority site road after people mentioned that their authority sites didn't fare any better in penguin than smaller sites?

#20 spaxton1

spaxton1

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
    • PipPipPip
    • posts 131

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:21 AM

Google being transparent...?!

Google is about as transparent as the Mississippi River.
    Want to get on my waiting list? Click here to join