• Create Account

Hey Guest, Welcome to Traffic Planet!

Sign up today in order to gain access to a vast range of features including the ability to create new topics, send private messages, Facebook & Twitter integration and MUCH more!

• RSS Feed
  • categories vs sub categories

• Please log in to reply
    8 replies to this topic

#1 learn2success

learn2success

• posts 42
    • LocationLondon

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:36 AM

Hi Guys,
    I need advice on the following categories option which is good for SEO Option 1 or Option 2

Option 1:
    Learn English [ main category]
    Learn English grammar [ main category]
    Learn English Vocabulary [ main category]
    Learn English tenses [ main category]

Option 2:
    Learn English [ main category]
    Learn English grammar [ sub category - under Learn English]
    Learn English Vocabulary [ sub category - under Learn English]
    Learn English tenses [ sub category - under Learn English]

Which option is good for SEO in a long run.

Please help me to structure my site.

Much Appreciated your time and responses.

Best Regards,
    NJ

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Learn, Learn & Learn....
    knowledge is power, Learn For Success , Free SEO PPC tips, Get a Free NUS Link

#2 _Richard

_Richard

Forum Moderator

• Forum Support
    • posts 5,299
    • LocationNW Arkansas

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:34 PM

SEO is not your only consideration. You have to think about the people who are using your site.

How many pages are you planning on having on your site?

How many main categories are you going to have on your site?

Generally speaking you are better off having as direct line as possible from your home page to the inner page both for the bots and the visitors. It does depend though on the size of the site and how many categories you plan on having.

Sometimes I have a link in my signature to a product. If I do assume it is an affiliate link and I might make a couple of bucks off it...................................

#3 learn2success

learn2success

• posts 42
    • LocationLondon

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:27 PM

Thanks ARVolund,
    Currently my site has more than 100 pages and in next 6 month i have planned to increase approx 600 to 800 pages & posts.
    currently i have 20 main categories (no sub category at all), is there a limit on categories ?
    the topics i am covering is quite lengthy (Learn English, Motivation, Interview preparation and so on)
    and how many sub categories would be recommended any guide line or best practice ?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Learn, Learn & Learn....

#4 learn2success

learn2success

• posts 42
    • LocationLondon

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:58 PM

also how can i add canonical tag to my pages and posts ?
    please advise
    Learn, Learn & Learn....

#5 Fraggler

Fraggler

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
    • posts 223

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:34 PM

I've found the most adaptable URL to use for an expanding site is just %postname%. Focusing on categories from the start means you can't make mistakes or change your mind. Navigation wise: well it depends on what the site is about. If it is just going to be about Learning English then I would break the site's navigation into a section on Grammar, Tense, Vocab etc and place articles under those.

Make use of Custom Menus (if using Wordpress) rather than the automagic menu structure as well. Much more scope.

#6 _Richard

_Richard

Forum Moderator

• Forum Support
    • posts 5,299
    • LocationNW Arkansas

Posted 02 May 2012 - 02:39 AM

Thanks ARVolund,
    Currently my site has more than 100 pages and in next 6 month i have planned to increase approx 600 to 800 pages & posts.
    currently i have 20 main categories (no sub category at all), is there a limit on categories ?
    the topics i am covering is quite lengthy (Learn English, Motivation, Interview preparation and so on)
    and how many sub categories would be recommended any guide line or best practice ?

I generally start thinking about sub-cats in the 15-20 cat range. With your setup I would probably go with Option 2.

Sometimes I have a link in my signature to a product. If I do assume it is an affiliate link and I might make a couple of bucks off it...................................

#7 learn2success

learn2success

• posts 42
    • LocationLondon

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:43 AM

Thanks Fraggler,

I am using wordpress, which one should i use /%category%/%postname% or only %postname%
    means that i have to redirect 301 to all my old URL's
    Learn, Learn & Learn....

#8 learn2success

learn2success

• posts 42
    • LocationLondon

Posted 11 May 2012 - 09:32 AM

Thanks Guys,

i found a solution for my problem, here is the wordpress plugin will do the right job for me.

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/custom-permalinks/installation/
    Learn, Learn & Learn....

#9 archmania

archmania

• posts 1

Posted 06 July 2012 - 11:52 AM

"Learn English" should be main category and all the pieces will come under main category. Nothing really need to think about it, just used common sense.