• Create Account

Hey Guest, Welcome to Traffic Planet!

Sign up today in order to gain access to a vast range of features including the ability to create new topics, send private messages, Facebook & Twitter integration and MUCH more!

• RSS Feed
  • Fixing Over-Optimization Penalty

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
    60 replies to this topic

#1 Sybernetik

Sybernetik

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
    • posts 45

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:32 PM

From what I'm seeing, sites with lots of anchor text variation are surviving. Any thoughts on changing the anchor text of the links I have control over from exact match to broad match to overcome an over-optimization penalty? Obviously all new links will be broad match or URL/branded going forward. I was hoping I could clear the penalty sooner by changing existing links. What do you think?

#2 SmallBizOwner

SmallBizOwner

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
    • posts 32

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:23 PM

I've been thinking about same thing. I've got EMD domain with 70% keyword anchor backlinks. Its holding at about 7 but all my inner pages which ranked 1 for keyword long tail variations are way down.

One one hand I think I should build more links but no longer use my keyword anchor text - but I'm worried this will just bring down my rankings further.
    (Its upside down when using the best keyword to describe my product actually hurts my rankings)

On the other hand, I'm thinking for inner pages, I should also change on-page optimization or better yet, just make duplicate pages at new URLs. These new pages will have backlinks and thus not trigger any spam filters. I'm thinking this might work as I noticed yesterday inner pages which have no backlinks on my site now are ranking for keywords they never ranked for. I wonder what happens If I just create new pages and build like 10 backlinks (with diversity) to them for the long tail keywords. I'll duplicate a few inner pages and see if they rank.

*****, the possibilities seem endless.

#3 Brian Greenberg

Brian Greenberg

• PipPip
    • posts 13
    • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:59 PM

I agree that the issue is with anchor text. I wrote a post on it here http://www.seo-services.com/the-google-over-optimization-penalty/general/ . Unfortunately... if you have been hit by this, you will just have to wait until the penalty is lifted.

#4 maretus

maretus

Advanced Member

• Active Seller
    • PipPipPip
    • posts 229

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:04 PM

I agree that the issue is with anchor text. I wrote a post on it here http://www.seo-services.com/the-google-over-optimization-penalty/general/ . Unfortunately... if you have been hit by this, you will just have to wait until the penalty is lifted.

Based on what? It's been like a day day! Nobody knows how long it will take to recover. Google probably just changed the way they score their ranking metrics and added some filters in for things like too much percentage of the same anchor text filters a site. If that is the case, then you could recover quickly by varying your anchor text.

There is no way you know anything about this new update yet. It's been like one day since it went live.

Edited by maretus, 26 April 2012 - 11:04 PM.

#5 Brian Greenberg

Brian Greenberg

• PipPip
    • posts 13

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:11 PM

If you look at the sites that have been penalized by this update, and those that have not... you can see that there is a new anchor text filter. There are hundreds of discussions going on right now as to the severity of this update. True... it is impossible to know how it will all play out, but if you where hit by this, it is very important to understand why.
    Please read my post, as I would really like your opinion to it.
    I do like your idea of varying up your anchor text of course :)

#6 Linda

Linda

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
    • posts 31

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:11 PM

Based on what? It's been like a day day! Nobody knows how long it will take to recover. Google probably just changed the way they score their ranking metrics and added some filters in for things like too much percentage of the same anchor text filters a site. If that is the case, then you could recover quickly by varying your anchor text.

There is no way you know anything about this new update yet. It's been like one day since it went live.

Exactly. I'm holding pat until at least a week goes by. I don't think Google is going to keep these trashy SERPs for long.

#7 _Richard

_Richard

Forum Moderator

• Forum Support
    • posts 5,233
    • LocationNW Arkansas

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:24 AM

If you look at the sites that have been penalized by this update, and those that have not... you can see that there is a new anchor text filter. There are hundreds of discussions going on right now as to the severity of this update. True... it is impossible to know how it will all play out, but if you where hit by this, it is very important to understand why.
    Please read my post, as I would really like your opinion to it.
    I do like your idea of varying up your anchor text of course :)

If the algorithm has changed and is looking for a lower keyword percentage in your anchor text then there it is not a penalty. Failing to do well when optimizing your links so you match what Google is looking for is not a penalty, it is doing poorly on a test. Creating network sites and having them get deindexed is a penalty just like you would get for cheating on that same test. While the initial results might look the same they are not the same thing at all.

The course of action is going to be different for a site that has been penalized than one who just needs to tweak its links a bit. It is a completely different mindset that needs a different plan.

Sometimes I have a link in my signature to a product. If I do assume it is an affiliate link and I might make a couple of bucks off it...................................

#8 Brian Greenberg

Brian Greenberg

• PipPip
    • posts 13

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:48 AM

I agree. I am wanting feedback for the quality sites that have been hurt by this recent update. I am all for spam sites getting hit... but when the quality sites get hit, it causes a whole new set of problems. Please take a look at my post at http://www.seo-services.com/the-google-over-optimization-penalty/general/
    I own an seo company so I monitor many different niches and industries. My client's have done well in these updates, but this is potentially a big shift in how Google handles anchor text from here on out.

#9 seoguru

seoguru

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
    • posts 118

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:53 AM

I agree. I am wanting feedback for the quality sites that have been hurt by this recent update. I am all for spam sites getting hit... but when the quality sites get hit, it causes a whole new set of problems. Please take a look at my post at http://www.seo-services.com/the-google-over-optimization-penalty/general/
    I own an seo company so I monitor many different niches and industries. My client's have done well in these updates, but this is potentially a big shift in how Google handles anchor text from here on out.

your site is probably quality but the sites your links are on, probably not so much quality

its not an anchor text problem

#10 seoguru

seoguru

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
    • posts 118

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:05 AM

you have backlinks on these domains and wonder why you lost your rankings?

deindexed blog network
    http://www.reservoirbar.net/page/2/
    http://www.tennesseeallianceforprogress.org/page/2/
    http://gasta.tv/Search/SEO+Services
    http://bluegrasssolutions.net/services/writing-services/sales-copy/
    http://www.3iuna.com/2011/12/
    http://www.youthandviolence.com/
    i can list 100 more if you want

Your content is good, its just in the wrong places

#11 Brian Greenberg

Brian Greenberg

• PipPip
    • posts 13

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:26 AM

I think the reason my particular site has fallen is because of the anchor text distribution. I do have some very strong links going to my site... but I have an exact match domain name (like one of the first posters of this thread). And I have too high a percentage of links with my company name (seo services). I think this set off a filter. Do you disagree?

I have seen many EMD (exact match domain) sites get hit by this.
    Moving forward I will of course add much more variation to my anchor text (even if the site is an exact match domain). I am also hoping that the filter will loosen up a bit so quality sites are not hit by this filter. I'm not too worried about my domain in particular... just looking for some opinions and discussions.

Edited by Brian Greenberg, 27 April 2012 - 01:26 AM.

#12 seoguru

seoguru

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
    • posts 118

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:28 AM

omg... *facepalm*

yes, fix your anchor text distribution and all is forgiven... hey everyone, hire this guy... he just figured out the issue

#13 Brian Greenberg

Brian Greenberg

• PipPip
    • posts 13

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:31 AM

Not very nice seoguru.

#14 seoguru

seoguru

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
    • posts 118

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:35 AM

sorry i dont mean to be rude... but if i hear another person mention anchor text penalty

your issue is that you have links on deindexed blog networks. I believe any domains on deindexed networks are taking a penalty... unfortunately that is a great majority of us...

doesnt matter if you have links from wiki, google or god himself.... your site is going down

i could be wrong here, but this is a much more solid answer than anchor text distribution. If you can show me a top 10 domain for a competitive keyword with backlinks from deindexed blog networks... i will open my mind up to the possibility that anchor text is the killer.

#15 Sybernetik

Sybernetik

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
    • posts 45

Posted 27 April 2012 - 03:07 AM

Haven't many people said they've been hit by this update and did not use blog networks? Not to say they aren't a big part of the equation.

#16 seoguru

seoguru

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
    • posts 118

Posted 27 April 2012 - 03:14 AM

Haven't many people said they've been hit by this update and did not use blog networks? Not to say they aren't a big part of the equation.

would need to see proof to believe it...

maybe they dont even realize they are on a blog network... maybe a competitor put them on a blog network

there is a lot of ignorance when it comes to seo

#17 Sybernetik

Sybernetik

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
    • posts 45

Posted 27 April 2012 - 03:30 AM

I'm confused, because you said yourself you were hit on a site with no blog network links:
    http://trafficplanet.com/topic/2466-google-just-announced-new-algorithm-changes-to-come-in-next-few-days-targeting-keyword-stuffing-and-spun-content/page__st__40#entry34983

#18 heyman

heyman

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
    • PipPipPip
    • posts 137

Posted 27 April 2012 - 03:44 AM

If you can show me a top 10 domain for a competitive keyword with backlinks from deindexed blog networks... i will open my mind up to the possibility that anchor text is the killer.

Haha nobody is going to just show you their site that didn't get penalized but should by your definition. I can assure you there are websites ranking for competitive terms that used blog networks (ALN specifically) despite losing those links after ALN was de-indexed. If you had a blog that was on ALN, go look at your wordpress posts and go through some of the links.

#19 technog33k

technog33k

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
    • posts 78

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:00 AM

Haha nobody is going to just show you their site that didn't get penalized but should by your definition. I can assure you there are websites ranking for competitive terms that used blog networks (ALN specifically) despite losing those links after ALN was de-indexed. If you had a blog that was on ALN, go look at your wordpress posts and go through some of the links.

I agree. I am still seeing sites that have used blog networks ranking in the top 10. Many of our clients sites are still ranking extremely well and some have them have increased quite substantially. Many of our competitions sites of which we know very well use blog networks are still ranking well. The main thing with the sites of ours and the ones we have researched is diversity in both link types and anchor text usage. This is a common factor across nearly all of the sites we have seen and researched. Take a look at the distribution of branded and non major keyword anchor texts in the top 5 ranking sites in any niche and see what you can see. I am sure the majority of people with a non biased view point on this are going to see the same thing. We are still seeing a lot of seemingly non relevant links coming into these sites as well. The major factor is distribution of anchor text diversity including a large percentage of branded links.

Edited by technog33k, 27 April 2012 - 04:02 AM.

#20 Emcee

Emcee

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
    • posts 82

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:20 AM

I have to agree to it is not an anchor text penalty. I had inner pages on one of my sites drop 20-30 spots and guess what, they had absolutely no back links built to them at all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users