• Create Account

Hey Guest, Welcome to Traffic Planet!

Sign up today in order to gain access to a vast range of features including the ability to create new topics, send private messages, Facebook & Twitter integration and MUCH more!

• RSS Feed
  • Domainer Making $400,000/month

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
    14 replies to this topic

#1 a1b2

a1b2

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
    • posts 514

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:00 PM

Saw this over at the WF.

http://www.businessinsider.com/michael-mann-domain-business-2012-4

A 45-year-old Delaware resident, Mike Mann, became a multi-millionaire by being an obsessive, compulsive, domain buyer.

Last week he acquired 14,962 domain names in less than 24 hours, reports CNET. He sells them shortly after purchasing for hundreds, sometimes thousands, of dollars.

"I'm just really greedy," he tells CNET. "I want to own the world."

His domain kick started in the late '90s, when he paid $70 for Menus.com and was offered $50,000 to sell it

He basically snaps up hundreds of domains each day and resells them.

Whenever I'm looking on GoDaddy or wherever for expired domains I do occasionally see domains that make me think, "I wonder how much that would actually be worth" based on the name.

Anyone on here bought an expired domain and then sold it for a huge % profit later based on the name?

#2 TerryKyle

TerryKyle

Administrator

• Owner
    • posts 1,206

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:14 PM

Thanks Pat.

I know a lot of guys in domaining (i.e. domain speculation) are making nothing and losing money but if you have the disciplined focus to specialize, there is money in it.

#3 JSP

JSP

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
    • posts 690
    • LocationAZ

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:49 PM

Saw this over at the WF.

[/size][/font][/color][/left]

Whenever I'm looking on GoDaddy or wherever for expired domains I do occasionally see domains that make me think, "I wonder how much that would actually be worth" based on the name.

Anyone on here bought an expired domain and then sold it for a huge % profit later based on the name?

I'm assuming he's not that picky and does takes a loss on a good number of them. But there's a few gems that will end up being sold for a lot.

#4 GodMode

GodMode

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
    • posts 117
    • LocationFirst Page

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:59 PM

You need a lot of start up money to play this game. Also it's not that easy as buying 100+ domains and resell them, I guess there's a big resarch behind every domain he buys.
    Offering guaranteed ranking service , because I'm cool. [Penalized sites: X - Low quality sites: X] Check out my last rankings '-')v

#5 Panda

Panda

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
    • posts 33

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:02 PM

"He created BuyDomains and sold it to Highland Capital in 2005 for $80 million "

Who wouldnt want to buy thousands of domains when you have 80 million to spend? :) :)

This guy also owns the domain: seo.com <-- that domain alone is worth millions. I am still reading his story, really unbelievable, and proof that anyone can make it online.

Edited by Panda, 23 April 2012 - 09:11 PM.

#6 Walker2k10

Walker2k10

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
    • posts 33

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:17 PM

He obviously got into the game pretty early on and has been doing it a while, plenty of experience and cash now to keep reinvesting and selling on. For those literally just getting into it there are easier ways to make cash online imo
    Need Bookmarks Fast? Check out eazymarks.com for fast and affordable bookmarking!

#7 Sitebuy

Sitebuy

• Pip
    • posts 5

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:11 AM

Dude I know bought cafe.com, hotel.com etc etc when they first came out. Sells one or two every few years for $1m average... insane.

#8 GodMode

GodMode

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
    • posts 117
    • LocationFirst Page

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:22 AM

This was a badass buisness in the early 90's I guess , now 98% of domains are taken by those people
    Offering guaranteed ranking service , because I'm cool. [Penalized sites: X - Low quality sites: X] Check out my last rankings '-')v

#9 n3o

n3o

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
    • posts 56

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:38 AM

for me buying domains is easy ... the selling part is hard ~

#10 spaxton1

spaxton1

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
    • PipPipPip
    • posts 131

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:19 AM

These domain buyers drive me nuts though... they tie up a lot of good domains. No matter how creative you get with a good idea or brand; it seems you always find these guys leaching your ideas.

"This domain might be for sale" turns up 142,000 results in Google. https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1_____enUS422US422&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=%22This+domain+might+be+for+sale%22

The risk reward for this business seems quite high to me.

Although, I still remember looking up domains in the late 90s; when most dictionary keyword were still available. Anyone have keys to the time machine??
    Want to get on my waiting list? Click here to join

#11 GodMode

GodMode

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
    • posts 117
    • LocationFirst Page

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:35 AM

Anyone have keys to the time machine??

Yeah that would be nice for sure.. :)

#12 Jackson

Jackson

• PipPip
    • posts 18

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:13 PM

for me buying domains is easy ... the selling part is hard ~

Haha. Wicked humour but yes I agree.

#13 Flippy

Flippy

• Pip
    • posts 2

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:18 AM

I bought a domain name on SEDO for 5k dollars, and 3 months later sold it for 20K dollars. It wasnt a timing issue, just a motivated seller. Felt good for about 2 minutes before I wanted to do it again. I have yet to do it again haha.

#14 Fitgal

Fitgal

Advanced Member

• Forum Support
    • posts 129

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:27 PM

I bought a domain name on SEDO for 5k dollars, and 3 months later sold it for 20K dollars. It wasnt a timing issue, just a motivated seller. Felt good for about 2 minutes before I wanted to do it again. I have yet to do it again haha.

Very awesome. What made you feel the name would sell for so much to risk 5K on it?

#15 Fitgal

Fitgal

Advanced Member

• Forum Support
    • posts 129

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:32 PM

Saw this over at the WF.

[/size][/font][/color][/left]

I really like this part
    "These names are not Internet gold, mind you. They are not *****.com, which sold for the highest price on record and, incidentally, which Mann was a part owner of for a while. They're names like CeoHealthClub.com, ChineseFoodCatering.com, BaptistChurchCamp.com and DrugDevelopers.com -- names that he's confident he can sell for a decent profit."

You don't have to have the best names to still be able to make a profit with it.