• Create Account

Hey Guest, Welcome to Traffic Planet!

Sign up today in order to gain access to a vast range of features including the ability to create new topics, send private messages, Facebook & Twitter integration and MUCH more!

• RSS Feed
  • Let's Talk About Online Startups

• Please log in to reply
    15 replies to this topic

#1 TerryKyle

TerryKyle

Administrator

• Owner
    • posts 1,206

Posted 14 January 2012 - 10:40 PM

As per my SundaySEO on January 15 2012, this is the sub-forum where we talk about turning your current or next online venture in a proper startup company.

Here are some excellent startup resources:

http://techcrunch.com/startups/

http://mixergy.com/

http://www.startupnation.com/

Feel free to suggest more below...

#2 stevejones003

stevejones003

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
    • PipPipPip
    • posts 148

Posted 15 January 2012 - 12:07 PM

Now we are talking business!!
    Just saw that video.Idea is cool.
    One thing that puts general SEO at disadvantage is that these start-ups remain under constant media glare. So,any suspected link leaked to media by competitor may affect you.Though it seems far fetched. But,it has happened,

Other thing is "big money" tends to invest in "*****" (= weak Bmodel :) )ideas when they are backed by "star-background" Ivy-league type.
    Those guys just need a part of big pie. Typically they are mad for scalability and billion dollar( at least 200mn type) ideas.They will anyday buy 5% chance of 1Bn idea over 50% chance of 100mn idea.
    ---You do not have enough posts to see this content.---

#3 amul

amul

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
    • posts 81
    • Locationlos angeles

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:05 AM

Terry you're spot on with this... I'm currently working on my own startup as well.

I've found rails programmers ($15-20) on oDesk... mostly east asian/Russian.
    The idea is to cobble together/assemble the APP using Rails Gems (plugins)

here is great list of plugs for Rails.
    http://intridea.com/2011/5/13/rails3-gems?blog=company

everything from "authentication/signup" to "CMS" to "PAYMENT"

== now just throw in a nice batch of aged domain network -- > driving traffic and attack a vertical...
    and find some investors/angels with "projected revenues"

http://gust.com/

[ SEEKING PRIVATE NETWORK PARTNERS ]

#4 l1nkanarchy

l1nkanarchy

• PipPip
    • posts 10

Posted 27 January 2012 - 07:25 PM

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46138856/ns/technology_and_science-innovation/

Excerpt from the above link:

"Having done this, I can't teach at Stanford again," Thrun said. "You can take the blue pill and go back to your classroom and lecture to your 20 students, but I've taken the red pill and I've seen Wonderland."

Online startups IS the red pill ! ;)

#5 taccomc

taccomc

• PipPip
    • posts 17

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:10 PM

Hi Terry,

In one of your recent sunday seo videos you talked about having lunch with someone from your IM mastermind group. How did you find your mastermind group participants, online forums? Are they local to you where you physically meet or mostly online through skype?

#6 Will

Will

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
    • posts 54
    • LocationFort Lauderdale, FL USA

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:48 PM

I'm currently putting together another start-up for a web app/script and would like some beta testers. I'll be ready for testing in 3-4 weeks. I'm also looking to feature a few websites in the 'Who Uses' section.

I think you're going to like the product, but am hesitant to give public details until it officially launches.

PM me if you might be able to help me out.

#7 rodelio.lagahit

rodelio.lagahit

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
    • posts 69
    • LocationCebu, Philippines

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:26 AM

currently setting up one startup, don't know if this will stick -- it's half-baked, features needs to be updated and proof read.

http://dropbucks.com it's portable performance management.
    Hire a virtual assistant or a social media manager doing what they're told to do!

#8 Will

Will

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
    • posts 54
    • LocationFort Lauderdale, FL USA

Posted 29 April 2012 - 01:37 AM

I like the site. Very simple and clean. Are you live? I noticed the activation email came from hostmonster.com.

How are you promoting the site? I think this social marketing would be a good start.

Are you offering this free? Are you able to download and print your resume?

#9 rodelio.lagahit

rodelio.lagahit

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
    • posts 69
    • LocationCebu, Philippines

Posted 29 April 2012 - 03:38 AM

yes, this is for free. and yes, you can download the resume as well.

im currently in the philippines.

this site is actually 20% done.. do hope i can poll more resources for this to be finished
    Hire a virtual assistant or a social media manager doing what they're told to do!

#10 Scipio

Scipio

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
    • PipPipPip
    • posts 242

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:52 PM

Fabrice Grinda´s website is a great learning resource:

Example:
    http://www.fabricegrinda.com/personal-musings/leweb-2011-the-trials-and-tribulations-of-angel-investing-in-brazil-russia-and-around-the-world/

#11 asharam

asharam

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
    • posts 47

Posted 19 August 2012 - 04:14 PM

Here's another site I visit sometimes: http://www.ideaswatch.com/

#12 secode

secode

• Pip
    • posts 9

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:07 AM

Creating a startup is more about vision. Great resources so far. I'll add Hacker News http://news.ycombinator.com.
    Looking for a reliable XRumer service? Go to BlastDaily.com

#13 _Richard

_Richard

Forum Moderator

• Forum Support
    • posts 5,176
    • LocationNW Arkansas

Posted 22 August 2012 - 12:16 PM

Creating a startup is more about vision. Great resources so far. I'll add Hacker News http://news.ycombinator.com.

Going to have to disagre with this one, the "vision" thing is way overated. The world is full of great ideas that did not amount to anything at all, good ideas are a dime a dozen as they say and not worth much without a lot of work to turn them into a business or product.

Which brings me to one of my favorite quotes (which I have hanging on the wall in my office) by Thomas Edison. “Genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration”

Sometimes I have a link in my signature to a product. If I do assume it is an affiliate link and I might make a couple of bucks off it...................................

#14 secode

secode

• Pip
    • posts 9

Posted 22 August 2012 - 01:30 PM

Going to have to disagre with this one, the "vision" thing is way overated. The world is full of great ideas that did not amount to anything at all, good ideas are a dime a dozen as they say and not worth much without a lot of work to turn them into a business or product.

Which brings me to one of my favorite quotes (which I have hanging on the wall in my office) by Thomas Edison. “Genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration”

I agree, though vision is much more than just an idea. It's something you're ready to commit yourself to. By having a vision I meant being willing to dedicate yourself to a particular idea. Even though it may take a decade to achieve.

Edited by secode, 22 August 2012 - 01:30 PM.

Looking for a reliable XRumer service? Go to BlastDaily.com

#15 William C Allen

William C Allen

• Pip
    • posts 4
    • LocationTaiwan right now - expat

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:52 AM

Hi Terry,

Thanks for the great article! This is exactly what I have been trying to do. Started out in IM, still there, but wanted a "real" website that people actually wanted to go to, share and be part of. The problem is, I got sucked into the whole WF void. And instead of expanding my mind, it contracted it!

All I could think of where "niches" niche reports, niche sites, niche this and that. Not to say it was bad. Taught me a lot. And I know this "training" is going to help me leaps and bounds when I finally get that startup going.

And I finally figured out what I wanted to do. But if it wasn't for IM, I never would have. Just the chain of events that brought me to this point.

Now I am working on building a very serious and I think radical publishing platform like no other. And yeah, it has a starving crowd and all of that. But it really will be a Graduating business for me. It's just about to go live. Hopefully in the next few weeks.

One of the biggest problems with the whole process was the idea is quite large. And I am not techie.

I did the whole outsource route and were getting quotes of 20K plus. Not going to happen. Finally, I met a guy in an entreprenuer meeting and we got to talking. He has an inhouse team of 20 deveopers all doing "customer work". No "products" per say. So we did a quick JV with a simple cloaking script RedirectBacon.com. He did a great job and I found a partner.

I figure it is way better to own 50% of something that 100% of nothing but an idea in my head. He also thought the entre concept was great, and we have been getting things done over the last few months.

I guess the reason I am writing all of this is, yes, I get it. But I bet for a lot of people they'll get stuck on "What do I do?" "How do I do it?" I did too.

But in the end, you just need to find a way. Copy what I did. I found a great technical team that didn't have "products" and offered them 50% of one. I didn't pay for anything. I am the idea man and the marketer. They do what they are good at, and I do what I am good at. Simple. And yes, profitable for both. A symbiotic relationship and all of that.

"Rich people are rich because they do the things poor people aren't willing to."

Looking forward to the next Sunday edition. Thanks!

Edited by William C Allen, 26 August 2012 - 12:15 PM.

Learn to build Amazon affiliate websites from start to finish and even have me build one for you, all for free:)

#16 snippnet

snippnet

• PipPip
    • posts 15

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:18 PM

So, there are A LOT of good ideas on here, on this entire forum and really all over the internet- but, I'm just curious about everyone's vote. What do YOU think is the best way to make money online? I'm saying, if you HAD to choose.